German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Will my GSD remember me? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/385730-will-my-gsd-remember-me.html)

cocolopz 12-23-2013 09:49 PM

Will my GSD remember me?

Hello everyone, I left my gsd when he was about 3 months old. I was with him for about 3 weeks. He's in Guatemala and I am in the US. I was going to bring him but stuff happened and could not bring him. I got really sad but luckily my uncle, brother and cousins are taking care of him. they are sending me pics of him and miss him. I am going to stay in the Us for about 2 years. When I return will he remember me? Is there a way he can come in the USA by himself? :(

huntergreen 12-24-2013 12:02 AM

he will remember you, but will have bonded with your relatives. i am sure he could be shipped here, but you will have to go through a quarrentine process.

David Winners 12-24-2013 12:07 AM

Most states do not require quarantine at all.

CDC - Bringing an Animal into U.S.: Dogs - Animal Importation

cocolopz 12-24-2013 12:08 AM

Hmm thanks guys happy holidays to everyone!!!

huntergreen 12-24-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Winners (Post 4717514)
Most states do not require quarantine at all.

CDC - Bringing an Animal into U.S.: Dogs - Animal Importation

did not know this, in the military we always went through this.

misslesleedavis1 12-24-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cocolopz (Post 4717074)
Hello everyone, I left my gsd when he was about 3 months old. I was with him for about 3 weeks. He's in Guatemala and I am in the US. I was going to bring him but stuff happened and could not bring him. I got really sad but luckily my uncle, brother and cousins are taking care of him. they are sending me pics of him and miss him. I am going to stay in the Us for about 2 years. When I return will he remember me? Is there a way he can come in the USA by himself? :(

Most likely! :) im sure he will give you lots of "missed you hugs"

David Winners 12-24-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntergreen (Post 4718450)
did not know this, in the military we always went through this.

Always went through what?

I've never had a MWD quarantined.

martemchik 12-24-2013 10:29 AM

Unlikely that he'll remember you...you left him at 3 months of age after knowing him for 3 weeks. That means that even at that point he didn't know you for most of his life. I'm sure he'll be fine and bond to you eventually, but I'm sorry, you are kind of missing some really important time in his life.

Neko 12-24-2013 10:39 AM

Sounds like he is well taken care off and no stress of traveling. They always remember!!!

Baillif 12-24-2013 11:02 AM

My brother raised the Labrador I have through its first two years before having to leave to England for the USAF. He came back 6 years later and the dog recognized him immediately.