How to properly wash your german shepherd - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

How to properly wash your german shepherd

I would like some opinions how how thoroughly wash you dog. If feels like I can't get past the 2nd coat and onto the skin. Any suggestions?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 08:30 PM
Crowned Member

Not sure if you have ever heard of lush hand made cosmetics? i had the same issue with my GSD mix she is huge and seems to have a million coats to get thru. I bought a Seanik shampoo bar from lush and went to town. Its so amazing, its got seaweed chunks in it and really gets out the nitty gritty crap and smells. The best thing about seanik is the fact it contains less harsh chems then other stuff on the market and it will leave you dog sparkling clean and ocean fresh smelling...then you can totally use it too
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 08:30 PM
Knighted Member

Get her used to the water and make it fun. In fact, everything you do with your dog should be fun for the dog. Learning and training doesn't have to be a drag.

Buy a kiddie pool next spring and introduce her to it by you getting in first.

Work up to the bathing part.

Bear, Anna, Molly, Ossie, and The Countess Lisl von Schlaf

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 08:33 PM
Crowned Member

Lots and lots of elbow grease, shampoo, water, and patience Thankfully I only seem to have to bathe him 2-3x a year (only when he's rolled in something unmentionable or gross ) but it's about a 45 minute process in total and always includes a full bottle of shampoo

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 08:38 PM
Crowned Member

work it in with your finger, it will get down to the skin. be sure when you rinse, you get all the shampoo off.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

He's bad in the bath, it does take long so he gets a bit anxious towards the end. I'll try that soap out and see if that works. I use my fingers and scrub it's just like I said I don't feel like I'm getting to his skin. How do y'all feel about dog deodorant ?

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Sorry I meant to say he's not bad in the bath

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 08:57 AM
Elite Member

If you find your dog has a smell beyond the typical doggy smell, maybe consider taking him for a full professional groom?
Thankfully, Shenzi doesn't have a thick coat. Get her wet as a drowned rat and go to town!! Hehe

-Cassie
Shenzi the GSD
Scruffy the woofing terror

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zira “To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” -J.K Rowling
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 09:09 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
Get her used to the water and make it fun. In fact, everything you do with your dog should be fun for the dog. Learning and training doesn't have to be a drag.

Buy a kiddie pool next spring and introduce her to it by you getting in first.

Work up to the bathing part.

With our new pup....now a year and change....I did exactly that. Bought a cheap kiddie pool and slowly introduced her to the pool last fall. I would throw some of her favorite toys and bones in the water and she loved it. She actually sticks her head under the water to retrieve the ones that sink. She became so fond of water that bathing her in the tub/shower is a snap. I do believe that a thorough soaking of your shepherd is required because their outer coat sheds water rather effectively, so when she gets shampooed I spend a fair amount of time just soaking her down and working the water into her coat with my hands and fingers before using any shampoo.

SuperG
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 09:35 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Go to clean pond. Throw ball. Repeat 10 times.

Sorry I could not resist. I rarely wash. Brushing and the high speed metro blower seem to do enough.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Air Scent Dog in Training
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page