German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   How to properly wash your german shepherd (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/385274-how-properly-wash-your-german-shepherd.html)

brittanyb28 12-22-2013 08:24 PM

How to properly wash your german shepherd

I would like some opinions how how thoroughly wash you dog. If feels like I can't get past the 2nd coat and onto the skin. Any suggestions?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

misslesleedavis1 12-22-2013 08:30 PM

Not sure if you have ever heard of lush hand made cosmetics? i had the same issue with my GSD mix she is huge and seems to have a million coats to get thru. I bought a Seanik shampoo bar from lush and went to town. Its so amazing, its got seaweed chunks in it and really gets out the nitty gritty crap and smells. The best thing about seanik is the fact it contains less harsh chems then other stuff on the market and it will leave you dog sparkling clean and ocean fresh smelling...then you can totally use it too :)

MichaelE 12-22-2013 08:30 PM

Get her used to the water and make it fun. In fact, everything you do with your dog should be fun for the dog. Learning and training doesn't have to be a drag.

Buy a kiddie pool next spring and introduce her to it by you getting in first.

Work up to the bathing part.

Shade 12-22-2013 08:33 PM

Lots and lots of elbow grease, shampoo, water, and patience :) Thankfully I only seem to have to bathe him 2-3x a year (only when he's rolled in something unmentionable or gross :sick:) but it's about a 45 minute process in total and always includes a full bottle of shampoo

huntergreen 12-22-2013 08:38 PM

work it in with your finger, it will get down to the skin. be sure when you rinse, you get all the shampoo off.

brittanyb28 12-23-2013 08:42 AM

He's bad in the bath, it does take long so he gets a bit anxious towards the end. I'll try that soap out and see if that works. I use my fingers and scrub it's just like I said I don't feel like I'm getting to his skin. How do y'all feel about dog deodorant ?

brittanyb28 12-23-2013 08:43 AM

Sorry I meant to say he's not bad in the bath

ShenzisMom 12-23-2013 08:57 AM

If you find your dog has a smell beyond the typical doggy smell, maybe consider taking him for a full professional groom?
Thankfully, Shenzi doesn't have a thick coat. Get her wet as a drowned rat and go to town!! Hehe :)

SuperG 12-23-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelE (Post 4712914)
Get her used to the water and make it fun. In fact, everything you do with your dog should be fun for the dog. Learning and training doesn't have to be a drag.

Buy a kiddie pool next spring and introduce her to it by you getting in first.

Work up to the bathing part.

With our new pup....now a year and change....I did exactly that. Bought a cheap kiddie pool and slowly introduced her to the pool last fall. I would throw some of her favorite toys and bones in the water and she loved it. She actually sticks her head under the water to retrieve the ones that sink. She became so fond of water that bathing her in the tub/shower is a snap. I do believe that a thorough soaking of your shepherd is required because their outer coat sheds water rather effectively, so when she gets shampooed I spend a fair amount of time just soaking her down and working the water into her coat with my hands and fingers before using any shampoo.

SuperG

jocoyn 12-23-2013 09:35 AM

Go to clean pond. Throw ball. Repeat 10 times.

Sorry I could not resist. I rarely wash. Brushing and the high speed metro blower seem to do enough.