blender freaks my shepherd out - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default blender freaks my shepherd out

Anyone else deal with household items which turns their fearless GSD into a spineless jellyfish?

When Mr Blender comes out she's as far away as possible. Is it possible the frequency of sound it makes is irritating or is she just scared of the dreaded Hamilton Beach 9 speed Blender?

She's just fine with everything else..lawnmowers, leafblowers, weed whackers, vacuum cleaners...but was a bit standoffish with my electric toothbrush and understandably because those electric toothbrushes are most certainly wicked......somehow she has gotten over this.

Anyway, any similar experiences with any of your dogs and any recommendations on how to acclimate her to the evil blender?

Thank you in advance,

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

My puppy Xena (4 months) was scared of the blender too at first. When I put it on she was just outside relaxing and got a huge fright. After that if I brought it near her she would back away scared.

To help overcome her fear I would place the blender on the ground and with Xena leashed. I then would reward her for coming closer and closer and I would ignore any scared behaviour. After she got good at being around it I started to turn it on at the same time rewarding her.

After persisting at this she is now ok around the blender. But I still never put it on if she is nearby resting.
Hope I helped!
Xena9012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xena9012 View Post
My puppy Xena (4 months) was scared of the blender too at first. When I put it on she was just outside relaxing and got a huge fright. After that if I brought it near her she would back away scared.

To help overcome her fear I would place the blender on the ground and with Xena leashed. I then would reward her for coming closer and closer and I would ignore any scared behaviour. After she got good at being around it I started to turn it on at the same time rewarding her.

After persisting at this she is now ok around the blender. But I still never put it on if she is nearby resting.
Hope I helped!
^^This is what I did with my late GSD, he was on the low threshold nerves side of things. He was scared of plenty of household stuff (vacuum cleaner, blender, hair dryer, etc) and some stuff he didn't seem to mind (lawn mower, leaf blower, etc). My other dog, before the shepherd, was TERRIFIED of the vacuum cleaner. Her choice was to try and viciously attack it though...ugh...So managing it with her was getting her to ignore it...down/stay that she got corrected for breaking when the vacuum was out, eventually she learned to ignore it. I can't find a household object that the new pup is afraid of. He doesn't even really want to inspect any of them, just is completely neutral/ignores them(he checked out the noisy vacuum cleaner, but decided it was just noisy and boring), which I love :-). It's a refreshing change of pace, I have never had a dog I haven't had to before.

I think the biggest thing is ignoring the fear, rewarding the courage (dog approaching the object) and hopefully (usually) the dog will stop fearing the inanimate object. It's also super common, like I said, up until this pup, every dog I had was scared of several of the things listed, including the blender, the worst was usually the vacuum, though. Good luck! :-D
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Rocco's afraid of everything! Lol. Even big boxes he's never seen before. He used to freak out about the coffee maker. Over time he's gotten used to it and doesn't mind it anymore. Still stays away from the vacuum cleaner. His latest fear is big Christmas lawn decorations that move. One house in particular that we pass requires having to cross the street. Lol.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Lucky (cat) ~ Beauty (cat) ~ MuMu (cat)
Angelina03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Appreciate the replies and the chuckles...good stories.

Yep, ignore the fear and reward the courage makes good sense as well as the "desensitizing" approach.

It is interesting when dogs choose certain items to get all weird about, while other items or activities they have never experienced seem to attract their interest.

The other day, Kaia saw her first pick up hockey game at the park....up on her hind legs with her paws on the top of the boards...watching them skate and shoot pucks for 5-10 minutes...it completely captivated her attention...all the head tilts and everything. But, whoa !!! Keep that blender out of sight!!

Thanks for the input, it is appreciated.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 12:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Tarps are Echo's arch enemy. Chain saws, power tools, heavy equipment? No problem. But if a tarp blows....forget it.

Desensitizing worked best... just kept doing as much fun, heavy-reward obedience as possible next to the tarps.
LoveEcho is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.