Floor ideas for kennels? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Floor ideas for kennels?

We want to add a kennel to our backyard to keep my Husky and Shepard in while we are gone to give them a little space outdoors. I don't trust them to give them the entire roam of the fenced in backyard when I'm not around, because my husky is a digger. I think I've settled on a 10x10 kennel with a paver floor for cleaning, but what can I do to make it so they aren't laying on the bare concrete? I also plan on covering it to keep the rain out and provide them shade. Thanks for ideas and please post pictures of your setups if you have them!
matt86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

You can make a low wooden platform. I would recommend going bigger than 10x10 for two large dogs. One more set of panels allows you to go to 20x20 or 10x30.I would use untreated plain pine boards and not plywood as they might chew on it. Where do you live?

When I had a run I did 10x30 and did the tarp with an A-frame that would shed snow/ice/rain fairly well.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
You can make a low wooden platform. I would recommend going bigger than 10x10 for two large dogs. One more set of panels allows you to go to 20x20 or 10x30.I would use untreated plain pine boards and not plywood as they might chew on it. Where do you live?

When I had a run I did 10x30 and did the tarp with an A-frame that would shed snow/ice/rain fairly well.
I'm located in NC so snow isn't much of an issue. I would love to go to 20x20 eventually, but can't afford it right now. I only plan on using it in the short term (2 hours max). The goal is when I go out of town, I could have a friend or family member come by and let them out of the house (they're loose in the house) for a couple of hours and then come back later to let them back in. I'm open for any suggestions though!
Old 12-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

I also want to add that my yard is currently fenced in with a wooden privacy fence, but another issue is that I cannot grow grass back there between the dogs and it being so shady. I'm wondering however if I'd be better off to spend the money (about $500) to make better landscaping for the yard (to keep it from getting so muddy) and to harden ares of the fence where they may dig.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

This is what the yard currently looks like
Old 12-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

For leaving the dogs unsupervised, I would be inclined to stick with a pen. For the yard, I really like playground mulch. The wood kind but that type does not decompose as fast and would work nicely with your yard. Not cheap though (not any more than other mulches though)

Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
Old 12-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

This is just off the top of my head. Maybe you could do something to floor the kennel with pallets. You should be able to get those either free or pretty cheap in our area. They wouldn't be treated lumber.... You would have to do something in the cracks to keep their feet from catching.

What about some Horse stall matting from tractor supply or similar? I think that would be ideal. You wouldn't have to cover the entire run but enough that they could lay on it.
Sp00ks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

A layer of blocks and horse stall mat would be great platform to lay on. Also I have a kurunda bed for Beau and it has proven durable outside and pretty indestructable.

Kuranda Dog Beds - Orthopedic and Chew Proof

I got the aluminum frame

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.