German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Does your GSD react to the TV? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/382898-does-your-gsd-react-tv.html)

Okin 12-17-2013 08:35 AM

Does your GSD react to the TV?

I have never had a dog that reacts to the TV the way my GSD does. Anytime there is another dog on the TV she barks at them. Actually just about any animal sets her off.

So here is the interesting part she can recognize when there is a TV show or commercial with animals in it. We used to watch a TV show where a cat walks across the screen in the credits. As soon as the music started for the TV show she was alert and walked up to the TV and stared at it waiting for the cat to show up and then barked until it left the screen. Last night a commercial came on the TV and Santa walks out and she jumps to attention and starts a subtle growl. My wife and I were looking at each other wondering what she has against Santa. Then all the reindeer walk out and she went off. I guess she recognized the commercial and new the reindeer were in it.

Anyone else have a dog that is this reactive to TV?

DWP 12-17-2013 08:37 AM

Not at all

Our girls act like it does not exist. Of course it is high, I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

LaRen616 12-17-2013 08:56 AM

My GSD reacts to the sounds of angry cats, barking dogs, growling dogs and puppies that cry.

angierose 12-17-2013 09:04 AM

They don't bark, but they do pay attention to shows with dogs in them, especially puppies. I had a program about wolves on one day and Sam lay on his bed, watching and listening to the whole thing pretty intently. I've heard that with the newer types of televisions, dogs can see them better.

Oisin's Aoire 12-17-2013 09:57 AM

My GSD watches TV. If people are arguing or fighting on TV he growls and barks low under his breath if you know what I mean. And of course , anything with animals in it.

Shade 12-17-2013 09:59 AM

Just if there's a doorbell that rings on the TV, both dogs ears perk and they stare at the door and then relax a few seconds later when they realize it's not real.

Galathiel 12-17-2013 10:00 AM

My pup is very into television at times. I'll see him chewing on something sometimes, and he'll have his eyes rolled up in his head so he can watch TV. He watches lots of things, not just animals. He watched a good bit of Pride & Prejudice with me 'smirk'.

MichaelE 12-17-2013 10:15 AM

Yes. Lisl reacts to dogs barking, sirens, and cats. She's ready to go when she hears a siren and a GSD barking at the same time.

She also reacts to the Farmers Insurance commercial when they sing the jingle at the end.

MrsFergione 12-17-2013 10:22 AM

She's only reacted to the TV once. She was sleeping on the couch and then sirens came on the TV and she jumped up and started howling.

LARHAGE 12-17-2013 10:36 AM

My German Shepherds don't but one of my Cairn Terriers is awful, she particularly hates the shaggy dog from the Travelers Insurance Company, she can be in another room and hear the music start and she makes a beeline to the TV jumping up and snapping at the screen, it's actually annoying after awhile as I watch a lot of animal shows.