Cats dont care about their owners - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Cats dont care about their owners

very interesting video about cats. all they care about is you feeding them. if you die they just need someone else to feed them.

How attached are cats to their owners? [VIDEO]
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

My cat cries constantly if we go on vacation for extended periods of time. WITH someone coming in to check on him and feed him every day. Probably feeding him more than we do.
MrsFergione is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 11:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm sorry but this video is bull. Everyone knows that cats are simply more independent and curious. That doesn't mean they do not care about their owners. The girl with the cat never stopped playing with the cat even when the owner walked back in (keeping it constantly entertained), where the girls with the baby and the dog sat down and stopped interacting after the owner walked out (giving the baby and the dog an opportunity to notice owner was gone). My cat used to come running to me when I got home and cry until I picked him up. And when I went away for hours or days at a time, he would tear my room apart from separation anxiety... I can go on...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Lucky (cat) ~ Beauty (cat) ~ MuMu (cat)
Angelina03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

the baby and dog both used their mom/owner as a point of reference. they know where they are the entire time. when the dog owners leaves, the dog eventually notices and runs to the door. the cat doesnt use the owner as a point of reference so therefore doesnt realize the owner left and didnt even realize the owner came back. the cat wasnt playing with the toy when the owner came in. it just didnt care. i dont own a cat so i cant comment on how it is in real life. i do find the study a little bias but interesting non the less. whether its true or not can be debated.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 11:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

At feeding time she cares about eating and yowls until she's fed. The rest of the day I barely see her. She sleeps on her heated mat. She is 19 years old though.

She did notice when we were gone for 10 days though. She had plenty of dry food water, and two littler boxes set up. I think she was just pissed nobody was here to give her the canned food.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Cats don't need to be all over their owners to feel safe and content, just knowing they are there is enough. A couple of my cats will go up to everyone, a couple don't bother. A couple of them are really attached and seek out attention. I have one that is really attached to my son, he follows him everywhere, meows at the door for him and waits for him to come home. And my son doesn't feed of give him water.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."

Last edited by llombardo; 12-16-2013 at 11:37 PM.
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 11:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer11 View Post
the baby and dog both used their mom/owner as a point of reference. they know where they are the entire time. when the dog owners leaves, the dog eventually notices and runs to the door. the cat doesnt use the owner as a point of reference so therefore doesnt realize the owner left and didnt even realize the owner came back. the cat wasnt playing with the toy when the owner came in. it just didnt care. i dont own a cat so i cant comment on how it is in real life. i do find the study a little bias but interesting non the less. whether its true or not can be debated.
Yes that cat did notice the owner left, it looked right at the owner as she walked out the door and walked around the other person. The cat was also out of sight when owner came back and did look at owner, but felt comfortable enough to continue playing.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."

Last edited by llombardo; 12-16-2013 at 11:39 PM.
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 11:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

My cat was a rescue cat. She had been abused and we got her when she was still a kitten. For years she would not tolerate being held or pet. She would slash you with her claws. She ripped one of my husbands dress shirts once.

It's taken years for her to enjoy being pet and scratched. She is really sweet now. Maybe cats who have normal upbringings behave different.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

It depends on the cat. All three of mine have vastly different personalities and it shows after long trips. Pudge will give a hello leg rub, but that's after being home for several hours. Bailey could care less, but she's super skittish. Gigi has always been a cuddle bug and she'll come up and want you to pick her up and love on her, but once again, that's after several hours of being home.

Max, a cat we had that passed several years ago, would wait by the door for us to come home in the morning after work and would cuddle and snuggle for several hours after coming home just like the dogs. He would have to lay in bed with us for a while before going off and doing kitty things. If we went on a trip, he would yowl and howl until we picked him up and gave him some love. Afterwards, he'd be like our personal shadow for the next 24 to 48 hours.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 03:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That experiment wasn't very good, they did not produce the same conditions for the dog versus the cat so you can't extrapolate from it. The 'stranger' played with the cat the whole time the owner was gone, while the dog was ignored by the stranger after the owner left. Also one cat and one dog is not conclusive of anything.
Since dogs are pack animals you would expect them to want to stick closer to their owners whereas cats have a much looser social structure so they may be more likely to range further and be less dependent on their owners. Cats also tend to be much more reserved so you can't necessarily expect a doglike reaction from a cat. Additionally many cats do not get out of the house with their owners very much, and placing them in a strange environment may have a different effect on them than it would on a dog as dogs are more likely to regularly be taken out to various places. This also means cats are also likely to react differently to their owners leaving them, since they generally are left at home whereas dogs may expect/want to go along.

Considering how differently my cats act with me and with other people, even people in my household and people who they know well and who also feed them (like my family, my petsitter and a friend who's known them since kittens and also sometimes petsits) I would say they are definitely attached and care if I'm there versus other people. They also greet me at the door when I come home. They don't greet my family members, even those who also feed them. Whenever I come back for a trip one of my cats is extra clingy for days after- he'll sit on my chest almost any time I'm sitting down, and put his front legs around my neck and cling on to me.

One of my cats is living with my brother now (because his cat and mine grew up together and Church was happier with Roxy than with my other cats) and he definitely knows me. Even though I only visit twice a year, he always greets me when I come from the airport and licks me, and he cuddles with me while I'm visiting which he doesn't do with my brother's friends who see him much more often than I do and feed/care for him regularly (when my brother is away for work which is fairly often). He will play with them and let them pet him but he acts differently with me. His friend even commented that he could tell Church was my cat because of how he behaved with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.