German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Advice of shedding ..what brushes to use etc. On my black german shepherd (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/382090-advice-shedding-what-brushes-use-etc-my-black-german-shepherd.html)

zirklek89 12-15-2013 10:13 PM

Advice of shedding ..what brushes to use etc. On my black german shepherd

He sheds like crazy! Every morning i wake up vaccume the whole house sweep the.kitchen bathroom etc. And i constantly keep seeing fine hairs. I try to get to brush him daily i do atleast every other day, i have 3 and 4 year old girls that keep.me busy lol, but besides that i wanted to know about the brushes to use, blades maybe a routine to follow to help, its like the fine hairs that i see none like i get off him on the fine tooth one i use...any advice is appreciated!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Xena9012 12-15-2013 10:19 PM

I suggest getting a shedding rake. They get rid of so much loose hair. Also, if your GSD is shedding that much brush daily.

Thorny 12-15-2013 11:22 PM

Furminator. Worth it's weight in gold.

zirklek89 12-16-2013 01:28 AM

Thats what i was curious about was a shedding rake i could see how it could work in this part i just joined and browsed and saw so many opinions about it i deff will go and get one and try it

Saphire 12-16-2013 08:47 AM

What are you feeding? Diet alone can have a huge impact on how much shedding occurs.
My last GSD shed buckets daily and year round. He was fed kibble...not the best or the worst but the only one he could tolerate.
I feed Gus a raw diet supplemented with Feedsentials and very little shedding.

Just a thought...

Galathiel 12-16-2013 09:29 AM

My pup did a major blow out (he's solid black as well) and it was painful to see as he's an inside dog. However, now he hardly sheds at all. I just use a combination brush/slicker to brush him. Except for the area right down his back bone, he's a pretty close coated dog so I feel even the slicker on those areas would irritate his skin so I just brush those parts.

LaRen616 12-16-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorny (Post 4677642)

I agree with this. It's the best tool I have ever used. You should have seen what it did for my mom's GSD/Husky mix, unbelieveable.

misslesleedavis1 12-16-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorny (Post 4677642)

I love the furminator. I get my dogs groomed in october or november and my groomers gets alot of the shed out, then i furminate a few times a week.

My first foster dog roxy loved being shot vaccd, she would lay on the floor and let the vac suck up her tail, tummy and back. The hair would FLY out of her lol it was hilarious.

belladonnalily 12-16-2013 11:38 AM

Another vote for Furminator.

Traveler's Mom 12-16-2013 12:10 PM

Furminator and shop vac !

With the shop vac, first I blow then I furminate then I suck. It keeps shedding down to a minimum- certainly not zero but it's tolerable.