German Shepherds Forum banner

Best foot forward?

2K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  Blanketback 
#1 ·
I was curious. Is there anything dog related that you hide from the forum? Do you always put your best foot forward when you talk about your pup on the forum? Or do you tell it all, like it is? If there is aggression? Or socialization problems? Or your personal financial problems? Or things you do that are 'taboo' on the forum (like having an outdoor only dog)? Do you care that other people might judge you so you keep these 'problems' to yourself?

#3 ·
Sometimes it isn't 'hiding' things so much as just not disclosing something that isn't really anyone's business. Some information is private and not for posting on a public forum and not necessarily relevant to my dog and what's happening. If I have an issue, I ask about it. I'm not required to post my resume or life history to ask a specific question.

(mainly talking personal information..not my successes/failures as a dog owner) :)

#5 ·
i tell it like it is. how can someone help you if you're hiding things.
i'm not effected by what people think of me. what people think
of me isn't my business.

I was curious. Is there anything dog related that you hide from the forum? Do you always put your best foot forward when you talk about your pup on the forum? Or do you tell it all, like it is? If there is aggression? Or socialization problems? Or your personal financial problems? Or things you do that are 'taboo' on the forum (like having an outdoor only dog)?

>>>>> Do you care that other people might judge you so you keep these 'problems' to yourself?<<<<< [/QUOTE]

#11 · (Edited)
My Mastiff and Boxer mix prefer to be out in our big playground of a yard. So I let them stay out as much as they want. They are well trained , healthy , and happy. When I bring them in they hover by the back door. I think they are married and like to be alone. I have to "make" them come in when it is too cold or hot.

There , I am out ;)

It is not that I am ashamed or afraid of repercussions from a forum of people I do not know , it just has not been relevant info nor something I need input on so far. If someone posted with a similar situation with a dog that would rather be out , I would shamelessly chime in.

I also use an E collars , prong collars when I feel they are useful. I don't offer that info unless someone asks for an opinion on it , and I do not ask much training advice here because I have a trainer I am paying and trust . So I just lurk around and comment when I have something related to share or when I see something particularly cute .

#12 ·
Hah! Brembo, you crack me up.

There's not really anything I "hide" on the forum, but there are things I won't ask for advice about here. The people who would give me answers I trusted, I would ask privately or on Facebook, where I keep in touch with most of the "gurus" I love from this board. Too many people on this forum these are so quick to try and read between the lines, jump to conclusions, chastise, ridicule, give blatantly bad advice, so on and so forth. There have been some really productive threads, but it seems like lately even those, you have to sift through some bad eggs to get the helpful stuff.

#19 ·
Pretty much this. The forum is a good source of some information, but not your best option for other questions. If you want more of a general, hmm what have other people done in x situation? Post on the forum. On the other hand, if you are concerned about aggression, health beyond "is this normal?" or you already know what you're going to do regardless of what people say, the forum is not your best option. Talk to a behaviorist, or at least someone who can witness your dog's behavior, if you think she's aggressive. Go to the vet if he's having a health problem, and if you already know what you want to do, just do it ;)

I think some of the worst flaming happens in "stories" though, which is kind of sad. People are just looking to share a piece of their life, but then get torn up because they're doing it wrong. Oh well, that's just a characteristic of posting on the internet I suppose.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#14 ·
My dogs and I really are this boring. If I think my dog needs to go to the vet, I don't need a consensus of strangers to make that decision. I can make my own decisions on courses of treatments and tell people, or not tell people. Plus, nobody cares about my dogs here, one is a mix or a crappy bred purebred and the other - well she's not most people's dog of choice. My next dog will probably not come from a breeder and who I buy it from, whether I buy through a rescue, buy it at a shelter or from a friend - it's my money and my decision. When you show up at my house with a lifetime supply of food for my dog and an unlimited bank account for vet bills, you may have an opinion and I will listen - otherwise, take care of your own animals. My dogs don't have bad habits I need to break, they are as well trained as I want them, I know what and how to feed them... I know who to contact if I have an issue and I guess I am getting older, but I don't need prayers or good thoughts when they are in surgery or at the vet - because there is a greater chance of a plane falling out of the sky and crashing into the roof of the vet office than a problem with a surgery and, I trust someone who can write the letters DVM after their name when it's serious, moreso than someone who took science in high school - I'm generalizing, but it's how I feel.

#15 ·
I don't think I have kept anything hidden. When people ask opinions on crate training I give my unpopular opinion of not using a crate. I have mentioned on many posts that I have no job. I guess the only thing I might (can't quite remember) have not mentioned is that I am against "outdoor" dogs.

#17 ·
I don't keep anything, but I don't offer anything either really. I'll comment on a thread if I know about what is going on, but most of the time I don't even do that because four or five people before me have already said it. I feel odd just repeating it again.

I'm also a private person, not just on here, but with people in general. Some things just aren't any ones business. I think some people tend to be to nosy and just want to be in the middle of it all so they can get their two cents in. ;)

#18 · (Edited)
I tell it like it is.

I have rehomed 3 dogs and told my stories about them and I got bashed on here quite a bit but you know what? Several other members on this forum have rehomed dogs, some of them have rehomed more than once and some of those members are beloved, experienced members with lots of knowledge.

At one point I did care what others thought about me on here so I disappeared for a while but then one day I woke up and said "up their ziggy with a wa wa brush" I don't give a hoot what they think. :D Anyone that knows me in real life or anyone that is friends with me on Facebook knows that I LOVE my animals, I treat them like they are my children and there isn't anything I wouldn't do for them all. They go to the vet, they get fed high quality dog food, they get toys, treats, they accompany me to people's houses or to stores, they have play dates with other dogs, they are well behaved, they are all heavily socialized and I spend all of my free time with them. I am a great dog owner and that is all that matters.

I wasn't going to keep dogs that didn't mesh well with my pack, dogs I didn't trust, dogs I couldn't handle or dogs I had no real attachment to. The dogs I rehomed deserved someone better than me, someone that could give them the training and love that they deserved. They deserved to be in a home where they could reach their full potential and be cherished members of a family. I have no regrets.

I also use a prong collar for every single time I go on a walk, it's for my safety because I only have strength in one arm.

Oh and I have a cat that doesn't cover her poop, another cat that scratches the paint off my walls and she also poops outside the litterbox, I also have a cat that hates everyone but me and the dogs.

#20 ·
Nah, this is me and this is my dog. Anything I post is based on my experience (if I'm trying to help) or looking for others' experience (if I need help). There's no reason for me to make myself seem "better" than I am because this is only an internet forum. Although I do try to be polite and encouraging even though in real life I can be short-tempered and impatient.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.