Do I have a GSD or Belgian Mal? You be the judge! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
Whomever said that dog is a Malinois is either blowing smoke, or smoking something funny. He doesn't look anything like a Mal, he looks like a working line GSD, which do not typically have "low hips", and are well known for being fast and agile.
Good stuff! Thank you!

So jsut to expand upon this, what is a "working line" GSD vs the "low hips" version? My assumption is that maybe the working line are police dog vs the low hips which my be show dogs? Just trying to learn more about the breed. Thank you!
quadzilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

no one knows what "line" your dog is without a pedigree. what we do know is that it is definitely a german shepherd. if your vet told you thats a mal then you should probably go to another vet who is more knowledgeable.

i'd say your dog is a mix of working and show lines. just what you'd call pet lines. doesnt have the correct looks/structure to be a show dog and isnt bred with the temperment to be a "police" dog.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

German Shepherd Types - German Shepherd Guide

This should help
Old 12-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadzilla View Post
So jsut to expand upon this, what is a "working line" GSD vs the "low hips" version? My assumption is that maybe the working line are police dog vs the low hips which my be show dogs? Just trying to learn more about the breed. Thank you!
Actually what you describe as "low hips", other people call "sloped back", etc. has nothing to do with the hips or the back, but the angulation of the rear legs. If you look at GSDs from show lines (particularly American show lines), you will notice that the angles of the rear leg bones are more acute. Therefore, when in the show stance (stack) with one hind leg placed further back than the other, it creates a "sloped" appearance to the dog's topline, with the hips lower than the shoulders (withers).

Working line GSDs have more moderate angulation to the hind legs, and so they appear to be more "straight-backed".
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

There are show lines who's hips are not low as well. Depends on the specific dog's pedigree. It seems like the German show lines are not as low as the American show lines.

I think people just get an image in their head and anything that doesn't match that is some other type of dog. If the dog doesn't look just like Rin Tin Tin, isn't the exact coloring or isn't the size they think of as being a GSD it is a mix or a different breed.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer11 View Post
if your vet told you thats a mal then you should probably go to another vet who is more knowledgeable.
I wouldn't change vets over this if you are otherwise happy with him/her. Takes some in-depth breed involvement to spot and understand the difference between the GSD sub-groups, and the difference between GSDs and malinois. Just because they are vets doesn't mean they have to be breed experts on all breeds.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

eh well for me personally i'd rather go to a vet that is knowledge with the breed of my dog. one i can ask questions and know certain things about the breed. doesnt mean they are a bad vet. just not a good fit imo
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

I'm not seeing any Mal...that is all gsd....but I can tell you when I had Chari I told my apartment complex she was mal XD

I don't like breed restrictions and think they're a bunch of crock...but yeah, you have a gsd..

Kodiak (called Kodi)-born summer of 2009 (4 years old)
FortheLoveofChari is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadzilla View Post
Hello everyone,

I recently adopted a dog. He is wonderful and we love him. This is nothing more than curiosity. He is not going anywhere no matter what he is !!!

When we first got him, we thought that he was a GSD (we adopted him from a GSD rescue). When we took him to our vet, he said that he was almost 100% sure that he is a Belgian Mal and not a GSD.

I walk him frequently and take him a lot of places with us on the weekends and I've had a number of military and police officers tell me he is a Mal. I recently had a person from another GSD rescue tell me that he is a GSD and not a Mal.

So just trying to figure out what this beautiful boy is. Either way, he's a keeper! ;-)

Thanks!

He seems to look a lot like the mals in these links:
DogTastic! - Belgian Malinois

Training Belgian Shepherd Dogs - The Sensible Way

Pics of our rescued dog:

German shepherd

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
GSDlover143 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Looks like GSD mixed with a snow breed, but no Malinois.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.