sire name - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default sire name

I was wondering where the sire of my puppy got his full name? axel rod vom ..... any help please.
bangagin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

vom....? Is that it? "vom" means "from/of/from the", so there's usually more to it. GSDs usually take the kennel name of the breeder, but the name as posted looks incomplete.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

sorry, yes incomplete. axel rod vom godinghoeer is full name.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry to keep asking about this, but does anyone have any insite on how this dogs name is broke down? (Axel rod vom godinghoeer). Please. I want to register his pup and I would like to understand his name first. It may change the way I put my pups name on the AKC form. Thank You in advance, and have a good holiday.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Axel or Axel Rod is his "call name" - the vom Godinghoeer is the kennel name....

It appears he is from the A litter from the kennel vom Godinghoeer - however, this kennel name did not come up in a search of either workingdog-eu or the PDB....

Was this the name on the registration application when you bought the puppy or did you make it up???? If the breeder filled this in, it is the name he should have to identify him via kennel and litter letter. I would not change it, and if I were the breeder, it would upset me to have you change it.....

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Are you sure you spelled it right? vom godinghoeer does not come up in any google searches. However, there is a vom Godinghofer Weg kennel with dogs of that name.

Regardless of the spelling, your pup's sire is named as per the German naming convention. Axel Rod is your dogs individual name, and godinghoeer (or Gödinghofer Weg ) is the kennel name from where he came. Vom means "from"

So he is Axel Rod from Godinghoeer. Hoping that some of the German speaking forum members see this and help out with the meaning. I did plug Gödinghofer Weg into a translator, and it came back as Godinghofer Way, so maybe the kennel is named after a physical place.

Did the breeder stipulate that you use her kennel name in registering the puppy, or is it just up to you?

Either way, since the Godinghoeer/Gödinghofer Weg kennels did not breed your pup, but only used one of their studs, you should NOT use their kennel name in naming your puppy. You can use all or part of axel rod as part of your pup's name.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Smile

That is how it is spelled on the AKC registration form. None the less you have shed some light on the meaning. No tribute need be given when naming my pup. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ok - so this is the SIRE's name??? So, is the form filled in for the PUPPY'S name???? if it is not, you should not use the kennel names of the parents....without permission of the owner of the mother....it is not a "tribute" - it is a simple way of tracking pedigrees and origins of the dogs and most breeders take the use of their kennel name seriously....

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yes it's the sires name. No the puppys name is not filled in. I was wondering if the word vom was for a place or the father of the sire or some other meaning? I dont wish to use the kennels name, I just wanted to understand what it all meant before I registered my pup. Thanks everyone for the insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.