German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   sire name (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/380025-sire-name.html)

bangagin 12-11-2013 07:50 PM

sire name

I was wondering where the sire of my puppy got his full name? axel rod vom ..... any help please.

Liesje 12-11-2013 07:53 PM

vom....? Is that it? "vom" means "from/of/from the", so there's usually more to it. GSDs usually take the kennel name of the breeder, but the name as posted looks incomplete.

bangagin 12-11-2013 07:57 PM

sorry, yes incomplete. axel rod vom godinghoeer is full name.

bangagin 12-19-2013 06:55 PM

Sorry to keep asking about this, but does anyone have any insite on how this dogs name is broke down? (Axel rod vom godinghoeer). Please. I want to register his pup and I would like to understand his name first. It may change the way I put my pups name on the AKC form. Thank You in advance, and have a good holiday.

wolfstraum 12-19-2013 07:15 PM

Axel or Axel Rod is his "call name" - the vom Godinghoeer is the kennel name....

It appears he is from the A litter from the kennel vom Godinghoeer - however, this kennel name did not come up in a search of either workingdog-eu or the PDB....

Was this the name on the registration application when you bought the puppy or did you make it up???? If the breeder filled this in, it is the name he should have to identify him via kennel and litter letter. I would not change it, and if I were the breeder, it would upset me to have you change it.....

Lee

Castlemaid 12-19-2013 07:17 PM

Are you sure you spelled it right? vom godinghoeer does not come up in any google searches. However, there is a vom Godinghofer Weg kennel with dogs of that name.

Regardless of the spelling, your pup's sire is named as per the German naming convention. Axel Rod is your dogs individual name, and godinghoeer (or Gödinghofer Weg ) is the kennel name from where he came. Vom means "from"

So he is Axel Rod from Godinghoeer. Hoping that some of the German speaking forum members see this and help out with the meaning. I did plug Gödinghofer Weg into a translator, and it came back as Godinghofer Way, so maybe the kennel is named after a physical place.

Did the breeder stipulate that you use her kennel name in registering the puppy, or is it just up to you?

Either way, since the Godinghoeer/Gödinghofer Weg kennels did not breed your pup, but only used one of their studs, you should NOT use their kennel name in naming your puppy. You can use all or part of axel rod as part of your pup's name.

bangagin 12-19-2013 07:32 PM

That is how it is spelled on the AKC registration form. None the less you have shed some light on the meaning. No tribute need be given when naming my pup. Thanks for the help.

wolfstraum 12-19-2013 07:38 PM

Ok - so this is the SIRE's name??? So, is the form filled in for the PUPPY'S name???? if it is not, you should not use the kennel names of the parents....without permission of the owner of the mother....it is not a "tribute" - it is a simple way of tracking pedigrees and origins of the dogs and most breeders take the use of their kennel name seriously....

bangagin 12-19-2013 07:45 PM

Yes it's the sires name. No the puppys name is not filled in. I was wondering if the word vom was for a place or the father of the sire or some other meaning? I dont wish to use the kennels name, I just wanted to understand what it all meant before I registered my pup. Thanks everyone for the insight.