German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Tips when walking in tough weather. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/378897-tips-when-walking-tough-weather.html)

RLwhaler 12-09-2013 06:48 PM

Tips when walking in tough weather.

Good evening everyone,I'm just curious as to how some of you deal with foul weather when walking your dogs out to take care of his/her business.

It's been raining constantly in Houston with 30-50 degrees.Nasty stuff! To make it worse...My girl made a "prison break" run out the back door at 5 AM this morning! :eek:

Here's what I have to conquer mother nature when walking her:

1) Rain coat
2) Rain boots
3) Umbrella
4) Dog rain coats

Did I miss anything guys? Would love to hear your best method in rain sleet or snow weather.

bill 12-09-2013 06:51 PM

Run fast! Lol

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

huntergreen 12-09-2013 06:59 PM

sounds like mild weather compared to those of us that live up north. lol might suggest low cut waterproof shoes, easy on easy off, jacket and a good water proof hat? seems you have a good selection of wide brim hats down there.

BellaLuna 12-09-2013 07:08 PM

We get tons of rain here in Florida believe it or not when it's raining bad I let them out in our backyard,although my two really hate the rain they now resort to refusing to go potty. They will wait for a break then do their business..

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Gretchen 12-09-2013 07:11 PM

Besides what you wrote, I have one of those waterhog mats at my frontdoor, large enough for our dog to stand on 3'x4', and a towel in the coat closet. I just go for it, if I keep moving fast I stay warm and I can always change clothes when I get home. And I always wear waterproof mascara and eyeliner.

The nice this is, if it is only raining but not windy, then I'll have the whole park to myself and I can let Molly offleash to fetch a ball.

I only wish I could blow dry Molly. Our previous dog loved this, Molly won't stand for it.

RLwhaler 12-09-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill (Post 4644113)
Run fast! Lol

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

LOL!! That's exactly what I did this morning..She thought that I was playing with her!! Urgh!! My Wife is still giggling about it..,She's the one that left the door opened! I caught a glimps of her laughing as she pulled off the drive way this morning.

RLwhaler 12-09-2013 07:33 PM

[QUOTE=Gretchen; " And I always wear waterproof mascara and eyeliner[/QUOTE]
LOL! Might as well look good right? :D I been officially warned by my wife not to embarrass her with our neighbors.:D

I like the idea with the waterhog mats,Thanks Gretchen!

middleofnowhere 12-09-2013 08:15 PM

For rain == towels, lots of towels & a tile floor. My two, when I was in Arkansas, loved being rubbed down - we made a game out of it.

Now in Wyoming, there wasn't enough rain to worry about. In winter, I often walked at 2 am because that was when the wind died down. I was bundled up in long underwear, sweat pants and wind pants with fleece socks & lambswool lined boots. Top was more long underwear, a turtle neck, a sweatshirt, a down vest, a down coat, thinsulite lined fleece gloves, fleece face mask, fleece gaiter, fleece headband. If it was daylight and the wind was blowing and it was 10 below or lower, I'd wear ski goggles to protect my eyes. Mascara wouldn't have helped this outfit any! It wasn't pretty but I never got frostbite and SW Wyoming winters can be brutal.

Kaimeju 12-09-2013 08:28 PM

Haha I would love to have weather like that right now! It's been 3 degrees out all week and rather windy. I wear long underwear and if I find myself getting cold, I jog for a bit. Works every time.

I really want some of those hybrid boots from LL Bean that are half rubber and half leather with fleece lining. My hiking boots just aren't warm enough anymore.

Galathiel 12-09-2013 09:35 PM

I live in East Texas and it's been rainy here as well .. with a 50 degree change in temp within the week to boot. I keep a pair of waterproof boots, hoodie and gloves by the door, along with a towel to dry off my pup's feet. And a flashlight. I hate the time change. It's dark when we go out in the morning AND the evening now.