gsd w/ a newborn baby ? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default gsd w/ a newborn baby ?

My wife and I were thinking about getting another shepherd to go with our 16 month female gsd . Just found out my wife is pregnant and due in august . Need some advice whether to proceed with new male gsd pup ??
squeek17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Sounds like you already have your hands full! What are you doing now with your female? Is she getting enough attention/exercise now?
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Sounds like you already have your hands full! What are you doing now with your female? Is she getting enough attention/exercise now?
Agreed especially if your first time parents,
misslesleedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

i would think you will both have your hands full with a new baby and your one gsd. i would wait.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Congratulations on your child too!
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

hats what I was thinkin , I just kinda committed to buying the new pup and have been getting mixed opinions on 2 gsd with a new baby .
Old 12-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No - you will both have your hands full with a baby - and I hope even the one dog is not going to be too much! I have only ever sold pups to two young couples that had a baby afterwards....the one dog was 2.5 years old and they came back to me to rehome her as they just were stretched too thin to work, care for a baby and keep a young dog exercised...the other dog came back to me when the baby was 3 weeks old and he was 14 months.....

I know there are people out there who can manage it....I know a young Air Force couple who have 2 Boxers and a baby - and got a kitten too! Wife is finishing a masters....but all too often - people give up their dogs when having a baby.....if you had a commitment to me for a puppy and this happen, I would return your deposit and say 'Good luck! Come back in a couple of years for a puppy!"

Lee

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Add me to the chorus of people telling you to wait. A breeder who is interested in making the best placement possible for their puppies will recognize the problem presented and NOT hold you to a commitment.

And if the breeder in question cops an attitude and tries to hold you to it, write them off and walk away. Consider it a lesson learned and find a better breeder when you life is less hectic.
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

We had Old Bitch and Sage- Old Bitch was about 6 months when we got the elder (5) Sage in early 2000. We went to have them microchipped and were adopted by another 2 year old shepherd in September of 2001. A month later I found out I was pg with my first. We moved when I was about 8 months pg with my second. We transported 4th shepherd that ended up becoming ours. I had 4 shepherds and two children under 2. I was committed to making it work. Each dog had a sport we went to (I wore the newborn in a sling). I took the toddler to training sessions. I lost all my baby weight walking, hiking exercising dogs. Shepherds are a lifestyle- I just had to make the kidlets fit the lifestyle. It worked for us, but as a family we were fully devoted to the necessary process.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...00000909655241
dogsnkiddos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 07:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks all , I guess you all backed up what I was thinking , thanks !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.