German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   gsd w/ a newborn baby ? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/378841-gsd-w-newborn-baby.html)

squeek17 12-09-2013 03:47 PM

gsd w/ a newborn baby ?

My wife and I were thinking about getting another shepherd to go with our 16 month female gsd . Just found out my wife is pregnant and due in august . Need some advice whether to proceed with new male gsd pup ??

Freddy 12-09-2013 04:04 PM

Sounds like you already have your hands full! What are you doing now with your female? Is she getting enough attention/exercise now?

misslesleedavis1 12-09-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 4642953)
Sounds like you already have your hands full! What are you doing now with your female? Is she getting enough attention/exercise now?

Agreed especially if your first time parents,

huntergreen 12-09-2013 05:04 PM

i would think you will both have your hands full with a new baby and your one gsd. i would wait.

Freddy 12-09-2013 05:05 PM

Congratulations on your child too!

squeek17 12-09-2013 05:06 PM

hats what I was thinkin , I just kinda committed to buying the new pup and have been getting mixed opinions on 2 gsd with a new baby .

wolfstraum 12-09-2013 05:13 PM

No - you will both have your hands full with a baby - and I hope even the one dog is not going to be too much! I have only ever sold pups to two young couples that had a baby afterwards....the one dog was 2.5 years old and they came back to me to rehome her as they just were stretched too thin to work, care for a baby and keep a young dog exercised...the other dog came back to me when the baby was 3 weeks old and he was 14 months.....

I know there are people out there who can manage it....I know a young Air Force couple who have 2 Boxers and a baby - and got a kitten too! Wife is finishing a masters....but all too often - people give up their dogs when having a baby.....if you had a commitment to me for a puppy and this happen, I would return your deposit and say 'Good luck! Come back in a couple of years for a puppy!"

Lee

sit,stay 12-09-2013 07:57 PM

Add me to the chorus of people telling you to wait. A breeder who is interested in making the best placement possible for their puppies will recognize the problem presented and NOT hold you to a commitment.

And if the breeder in question cops an attitude and tries to hold you to it, write them off and walk away. Consider it a lesson learned and find a better breeder when you life is less hectic.
Sheilah

dogsnkiddos 12-09-2013 08:03 PM

We had Old Bitch and Sage- Old Bitch was about 6 months when we got the elder (5) Sage in early 2000. We went to have them microchipped and were adopted by another 2 year old shepherd in September of 2001. A month later I found out I was pg with my first. We moved when I was about 8 months pg with my second. We transported 4th shepherd that ended up becoming ours. I had 4 shepherds and two children under 2. I was committed to making it work. Each dog had a sport we went to (I wore the newborn in a sling). I took the toddler to training sessions. I lost all my baby weight walking, hiking exercising dogs. Shepherds are a lifestyle- I just had to make the kidlets fit the lifestyle. It worked for us, but as a family we were fully devoted to the necessary process.

squeek17 12-10-2013 06:19 AM

Thanks all , I guess you all backed up what I was thinking , thanks !!