German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Do you get asked if your dog is a mixed breed? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/378305-do-you-get-asked-if-your-dog-mixed-breed.html)

stmcfred 12-08-2013 06:00 PM

Do you get asked if your dog is a mixed breed?

Every time Lola (a WGSL long coat) and I go out I always get asked if she's a mixed breed. I'm assuming it's because she's a long coat. Curious on how many others get asked if their dog is a mixed breed?

alexg 12-08-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stmcfred (Post 4636625)
Every time Lola (a WGSL long coat) and I go out I always get asked if she's a mixed breed. I'm assuming it's because she's a long coat. Curious on how many others get asked if their dog is a mixed breed?

My first dog a WGSL long coat was called a Belgian Shepherd by a vet no less :rolleyes:

Xena9012 12-08-2013 06:05 PM

I don't get asked because my GSD has a short coat. But I do know other people with long haired GSDs who get asked if their dog is mixed breed or even another type of dog.

HarleyTheGSD 12-08-2013 06:07 PM

Yes! Some people would ask if Harley and Varick were mixed. I think it's because Varick is a dark sable, (there aren't many sables around here) and Harley has a wide bitch stripe. It's kind of silly to me, how people think that. :)

Kahrg4 12-08-2013 06:08 PM

It doesn't even take a long coat. Cafall is a sable and immediately is constantly mistaken for mix of some sort.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexg (Post 4636641)
My first dog a WGSL long coat was called a Belgian Shepherd by a vet no less :rolleyes:

Had a vet ask what percentage of coyote Cafall was. :wild:
Needless to say we didn't got back there...

stmcfred 12-08-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kahrg4 (Post 4636689)

Had a vet ask what percentage of coyote Cafall was. :wild:
Needless to say we didn't got back there...

Lol, don't blame you on that one! I had to tell my vet she's a long coat cause she's "fluffy" but they are otherwise knowledgeable

MichaelE 12-08-2013 06:19 PM

No. They usually ask if 'that' (Lisl) is a police dog. Or po-leece dog depending upon who is doing the asking.

BellaLuna 12-08-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelE (Post 4636785)
No. They usually ask if 'that' (Lisl) is a police dog. Or po-leece dog depending upon who is doing the asking.

Ha-ha same here :D
Then they proceed to ask if they are nice..

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

HarleyTheGSD 12-08-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelE (Post 4636785)

Usually young children ask if mine are police dogs too. Media. :rolleyes:

Syaoransbear 12-08-2013 06:33 PM

Yep, all the time. It's because Chrono is all black so I get ask if he's a lab mix a lot(yeah, because labs are the only black dogs out there :rolleyes:), or I get great dane mix because he's tall, as though it's at all likely for a dog to only inherit its parents height and absolutely no other feature :rolleyes:.

I do get quite a few people who know he's a black german shepherd though, and it always surprises me.