How do you handle people STRONGLY against all breeders? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How do you handle people STRONGLY against all breeders?

I recently had a fb discussion a friend who is strongly against purposefully breeding any dog until all shelters dogs are either rehomed or no longer face euthanasia. After expressing my concerns for health, temperament, and the sheer presence of dogs on the planet for more than the next 15 years she still did not see any need for breeders. She and I were able to handle things civilly and agreed to disagree.

However, today I have been absolutely blasted by people on fb:

"My opinion is that buying a dog from a breeder is tantamount to killing a shelter dog. And I've lived with both pure breds and mutts, and the purebreds are whack jobs 99% of the time. Give me a loveable mutt any day. I guess it depends on if you want a dog as an accessory or a companion."

"So, put yourself in a room with two dogs. Dog 1: your breeder's female who will be bred when you have agreed to buy the animal. You would get one of her puppies in about 4 months. Dog 2: the dog that dies today if he is still homeless at 6pm. Who do you choose? What if I told you it was a cuddly 8 wk old mutt that would be killed? How about a shy two year old shep that outlived her usefulness to a terrible breeder? My perspective is that it does not matter how "great" a breeder is or what testing they do."

For the moment I have just ignored the comments. And I can do that because it is over the computer. In a face to face scenario though that's not necessarily a viable option.

Does anyone have any suggestions for handling those who are vocally and adamantly anti-breeder? --For the record I have a well bred dog and a rescue dog. I support both sides of the equation. Just not the attacks on respectable breeders.---
Kahrg4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't think you an ever change one's mind who is heck bent on one way only.

I have purchased the majority of the dogs I've had over the years from breeders, but I have rescued a couple as well. I tend to ignore the over zealots, and I don't let them put me on a guilt trip with the comments like 'every dog you buy, one dies in a shelter'...I can't save them all , and it's my own personal choice as to whether I rescue a dog or buy one, as is their choice to rescue only..

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

How about Dog 3 that is already bred? Are those puppies going to magically disappear? If she wants to stamp out breeders the first she needs to focus on is the breeder who will churn out litters whether they have buyers or not. Get rid of the puppy mills and we can talk again.

Jelpy
Old 12-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

If people are too aggressive with putting their point across, then don't even bother discussing the topic with them as you won't get anywhere and people reading their comments will see their forceful, one sided comments as just that.

If it were me, I would just acknowledge their point and let them know you understand what they are saying, and that everyone has a right to their opinion, including you. I would also tell them (assuming this is your motive for breeding) that you as a breeder are breeding for that ultimate GSD, one that doesn't have health issues and of a steady temperament.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Tolerance only if you agree with them...

I don't have an answer to your question specifically. Before we put our deposit on our pup, we tried to adopt from two different agencies. One flat out stood us up and then tried to blame us, the other lacked any professionalism. I still haven't heard back from the second after we were supposed to have an appt on a Sunday in September after we changed our plans to accomodate, talked to the woman for an hour on the phone......

I'm not the only one that has had experiences like this. We met all the requirements and then some. They aren't going to adopt pets out by acting this way. At least not to professional, considerate people like me. So we spent an exorberant amount of money on a pup from a breeder that treated us with respect and continues to do so.

I know some will probably think the agencies discounted us for whatever reason. Both said we were perfect to adopt. We have adopted in the past and will likely adopt again. I know most of these people are volunteers but our experience was absolutely rediculous.

Ok, sorry, end rant.
Sp00ks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Jacoka and Jelpy I completely agree, there are so many other issues with 'stopping all breeding'. And I am up for ignoring zealots, it's just very hard to get lambasted and then walk away. I only posted the first few of the board appropriate comments I received.

HarryandLola, I was just having a conversation in favor of breeding. I am not actually a breeder at all. Heaven only knows what they would have done to me if I had been breeding

Sp00ks, you're welcome to rant. My post is a bit of rant about someone else's rant anyways
Kahrg4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oh i have always wanted to vent about that! belonging to a rescue i am in an interesting spot, some rescues are indeed amazing my rescue is AMAZING! some..not so much, they do not have it together and can really put a bad name on rescues in general, before i rescued my shiloh i went to a GSD rescue and described what i wanted, "a male or female, good with dogs, and would enjoy a life of love long hikes, boating and camping trips" the response i got was "no, we dont have what your looking for please do not contact us again" ?????? wha!!! okay, i did not and we went to a reputable rescue and adopted our big mixed mutt, breed specific rescues can be so freakn rude, picky and judgemental people are forced to go out and buy a puppy, and there is nothing wrong with wanting a pure bred dog, as long as you realize its a life long commitment..and yes i do think there are responsible breeders, and sorry a labrador is not going to round up sheep like a border collie can, their are so many breeds of dogs that WORK for people. I know if i were to say any of this on my rescues page i would be burned at the stake..not by the actual volunteers who run it, but by their crazy bunch of followers willing to throw down over the comment section..jeez that felt good to vent.
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

There's really nothing to handle, it's their opinion and that's it.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

If the world was filled with only responsible breeders, ones that take back puppies they have produced if need to be rehomed, require spay/neuter at appropriate ages and only place puppies on limited reg, we wouldnt need shelters.
dawnandjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Fights on facebook are generally not worth it... Even if you "win" you end up looking like someone who is spoiling for an argument (even if that's not true).

FWIW, I got into a similar conversation with someone recently. Basically I told them that if their view (only shelter dogs should be adopted, no breeding) was actually made reality, we would no longer have any dogs because all shelter dogs are sterilized on intake. Their argument was that "dogs exist for their own purposes and it is wrong to control their lives for our own purposes." I then asked them if their real problem was that people own domestic animals at all, and if their agenda was to abolish pet ownership. Silence.

I usually try to make it clear to people that "dog breeders" are not just one thing, and that people breed dogs with a variety of different agendas, not just to make money or as a status symbol. Most are also not informed at all about working dogs vs. show, or small hobby breeders vs. BYB vs. puppy mill (understanding that these things do not have clear definitions). I then try and point out that it is best to learn as much as you can about something before saying it should be forbidden under any and all circumstances.
Kaimeju is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.