All the dog toys out or rotate them? - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master Member

Lola has several tugs, balls and a bite rag that is only used when we play together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
I want the dog valuing the interaction between me and a toy and not just getting value out of the toy itself so my dogs are not allowed to have open access to toys that are used as "tools" for training such as tugs, balls on strings, or anything I have been building their value for. Also helps keep them from destroying those toys. I cycle through these to keep them novel. The idea is to get the dog doing this kinda crap without needing prompting.

Michael Ellis Engagement Training With His Dog Pi - YouTube

If they value the toy and not the interaction the chances they just run off with it and horde go way up. And then it screws up the training session because the dog wont bring the reward back.

Things like bones deer antlers and chew related toys that aren't used as motivational tools are free for them to access.
stmcfred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #42 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wow. I guess I'm mean. NILIF at my house. Nothing is out, I decide when he gets a toy to play with, and he has to play with me.
When he is penned, I take the toy back and it goes in a bag hanging on a hook in the laundry room
Old 12-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #43 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Wow. I guess I'm mean. NILIF at my house.
No, totally different because you're doing NILIF. :P

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #44 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
If they value the toy and not the interaction the chances they just run off with it and horde go way up. And then it screws up the training session because the dog wont bring the reward back.

Not my experience at all. My male has free access to toys in the home at all times. Although his reward ball is never used in the house, he has some large soft balls on rope to play with inside. He has never had a single training session OR play session involving me in which he hoards his toy or won't bring it back. Perhaps this is his genetic biddability, but when we are training or working he could care less if it is raining tennis balls all around us - all he wants is to work with me, and craves the interaction between us with his reward ball (although when we are working he usually only gets praise reward).

All dogs are different, but I do not need to restrict anything with mine because he has incredible ball drive and incredible desire to focus on me and work with me.

Kinda off topic, sorry.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #45 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Wolf View Post
After years of working at pet stores and buying toys at cost, and also getting free toys to review for my blog, I have accumulated an impressive amount of dog toys, of all varieties. Hunter doesn't destroy toys, so everything I ever bought him we still have. I have had a massive amount out at a time in a huge dog toy bin, and my home just ends up a mess (a.k.a dog heaven). So, I went and bought myself a small blue bin, and started rotating toys every couple of days. I really like this method, because when I bring out a new bin of toys Hunter's eyes light up and he entertains himself for a couple hours with his "new toys"... lol

Do you leave all the dog toys out all the time, or do you rotate sets and keep the other toys put away? How do you maximize dog toy bliss in your home?

Aaand a photo, since text posts aren't visually appealing enough... lol.

Approximately a touch more than 1/4 of our toy collection..

Also, bonus points if you post a photo of your dog with a bunch of toys.
this is the cutest picture!
I have a similar.

*-*Summer*-*
Attached Thumbnails
All the dog toys out or rotate them?-1386363254894.jpg  
SummerGSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #46 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Not my experience at all. My male has free access to toys in the home at all times. Although his reward ball is never used in the house, he has some large soft balls on rope to play with inside. He has never had a single training session OR play session involving me in which he hoards his toy or won't bring it back. Perhaps this is his genetic biddability, but when we are training or working he could care less if it is raining tennis balls all around us - all he wants is to work with me, and craves the interaction between us with his reward ball (although when we are working he usually only gets praise reward).

All dogs are different, but I do not need to restrict anything with mine because he has incredible ball drive and incredible desire to focus on me and work with me.

Kinda off topic, sorry.
Yeah it isn't the same for all dogs, and honestly I think my latest pups issue with it was caused more by not doing enough trades when he was young vs just taking items and some anxiety was created about whether a toy was going away forever or just for a second. There was an element of keep away that crept into it and it was my fault and a bit my gf's as well. Maybe introducing control to the game a little too soon was part of it too, but I largely fixed it by enforcing what I did.

In short it's probably because I screwed up...lol

Scratch that it is definitely because I screwed up lets be honest.
Baillif is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #47 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Yeah it isn't the same for all dogs, and honestly I think my latest pups issue with it was caused more by not doing enough trades when he was young vs just taking items and some anxiety was created about whether a toy was going away forever or just for a second. There was an element of keep away that crept into it and it was my fault and a bit my gf's as well. Maybe introducing control to the game a little too soon was part of it too, but I largely fixed it by enforcing what I did.

In short it's probably because I screwed up...lol

Scratch that it is definitely because I screwed up lets be honest.
I agree that it is important to have "training tools" separate from toys, though, if people are serious about sport training or work with their dogs. Hunter doesn't have his tugs, rewards balls or bite rags/flirt poles etc to play in the house - those are all kept in our training bag and only come out for training... although I do use his reward ball when I "run" him for conditioning/exercise because I can throw it the farthest on flat land, up or down hill.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:

His bunny wubba!
LOL! Love the look on his face.

"Really??"
Old 12-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #49 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I keep certain toys for training only...gappay balls, french linen tugs, bumpers, floppy frisbees and a couple different balls.
I let the dogs have toys and don't rotate(because I can't afford a ton of toys and they destroy anything fuzzy) In winter I try to gather up the toys so they don't get buried in the snow, then it's SOL if we get dumped on. I try to keep indoor and outdoor toys separated, but they tend to grab n go now and then. Here is the gathering of toys after the snow melt last Spring. Onyx has a favorite pink cuz that she never looses!

Last edited by onyx'girl; 12-06-2013 at 07:29 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #50 (permalink)
Elite Member

As I sit here reading this thread, Carly grabbed the wubba and Russell is chasing her around the coffee table. And now they flew out the dog door. If these dogs didn't have a bunch of toys lying around, they'd drive me out of my mind. I just want to watch the basketball game, LOL.

Sent from Petguide.com App

Carly ~ AKC Ch, GCh pointed, HIC
Sage ~ AKC Ch pointed (chasing that last major), HIC
Russell ~ future show dog
Zelda ~ puppymill rescue Italian Greyhound
dogfaeries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.