Rate my Kennel - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rate my Kennel

Hi there,

I'm new to the site, but I wanted to get some input. It's getting colder here where I live and I'm winterizing my GSD's kennel.

It's an 8' x 16' kennel. I've wrapped it with Sun Shade to help with the wind, and I've laid down straw. I just finished sealing up patio screens with some 6mil Plastic Sheeting.

The problem is, I'm afraid to put any type of heating in the kennel with the straw. She did fine last winter and she's two this winter. I have to leave her in the kennel after sunset two days a week. Latest being 11pm at night. It doesn't get too cold at night, but it sometimes get around freezing.

Oh and she has a bit of anxiety. She doesn't want to leave the yard, but she wants to find me when I'm gone. That's why I had the kennel built. To keep her safe. I'm hoping that changes after I get her a brother. I've had her now for 18 months. When I'm home she's with me 100% and sleeps in my bedroom at night.

Here are some pics:

I don't have a screen door with this yet.

irishwrath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It looks pretty cozy to me, seems like you've done a great job trying to keep her warm outside while you're gone. If she isn't a blanket/bed destroyer is might be beneficial to throw 2 or 3 big fleece blankets in a corner for her to snuggle into if needed.

I don't know much about outfitting outdoor kennels.. what about something like a large heat lamp hanging from over head?

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

What about a heating pad that goes under a bed. My cat has one. It only warms up when they lay down on it and it doesn't get to hot. I used it to help germinate seeds once. They just get warm.

For the cat we just put a towel over it, but if the dog chews on stuff it probably would be good....
Old 12-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Around freezing? I would not worry too much as long as the air isn't moving much. Freezing is about where a grown GSD starts to feel frisky.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brembo View Post
Around freezing? I would not worry too much as long as the air isn't moving much. Freezing is about where a grown GSD starts to feel frisky.
This could be true. This was the first day Kaleb has not been in the pool. (it's not heated) He decided to lay in the icy grass instead. He's inside mostly. He has access to outside during the day.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the replies!

I actually tested out an IR heat lamp, but the heat dissipates within 2-3 feet. I tried two different wattage heat lamp bulbs. I was also told that if it gets to close to the straw, it can set it on fire. I can't really use a temp control box because the patio (not the kennel) is not entire enclosed and the lamp would just be on the whole time I'm gone.

I did blankets last year and she did her "business" on them (haha). That's why I opted for the straw. It allows her to do her "business" with easy clean up. I actually buy a bale of straw a month because I clean up her droppings daily when she uses the kennel without any hassle.

I thought about a heating pad, but she loves to chew and I wouldn't want her chewing the cable. I've seen some chew proof heating pad cables, but I give her slices of cow femur knuckles to snack on and she chews through those like butter.

And brembo. That's what I was thinking. I've basically blocked off all the wind. Plus, she'll hopefully get to meet her new brother next week. I'm waiting to adopted a Rott/Shep mix from a GSD rescue, now that my GSD is fully trained. I imagine they'll be able to help each other with the warmth too.

Thanks again!
irishwrath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 03:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think you've gone overboard and I'm afraid it isn't going to do that much good. (Although "near freezing" isn't much to worry about either.) Too much space for the dog's body heat to build up to any effect. How about sticking a dog house in there? The advantage would be that it could be easier for her body heat to build up in a dog house. If it gets down into the teens or single digits or really any freezing at all make sure she has water to drink that isn't iced over pretty solid.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 04:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The kennel is very nice and I second the suggestion of a dog house. Would be a great retreat if she wants to sleep.
Do think thoroughly the addition of a rescue dog, if you are gone so long.
If the dog is not for you, then I would not get it. Your dog misses your companionship, not that of another dog. So when you get home, you will have two dogs waiting for you to do something with them.

She would be alone for many hours with this strange dog that you do not have time to train. You are unable to supervise the interactions.
Perhaps some others can chime in about this.
If she is lonely, might be a better idea to have someone come over and play a game of fetch, or take her for a walk.

Last edited by Sunflowers; 12-06-2013 at 04:44 AM.
Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 07:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

"it sometimes gets around freezing"

I have had Beau break the ice after a wheelbarrow filled with rainwater so he could lay down in it . I second the recommendation for a good dog house but find mine out on the earth ignoring it most cold days. We live in a warm area so having surface ice is not that common and he is not acclimatized to real cold weather.

It looks like a nice set up; don't think she needs any kind of heat lamp.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

I think it looks great, BUT, GET RID OF THE HEAT LAMP!!!

I am so fire paranoid, I have chickens, and there is no way I put heat in my coops because of the fire factor..Soooooo many coops have burned to the ground with those darn heat lamps!

If my chickens can take below freezing temps, our gsd's should be able to handle that in your type of set up!

Don't use anything electrical or heat wise IN or around the pen area..

A dog house is a good idea even if she didn't want to use it, atleast it's there for a choice.

Tarping in to prevent wind is a 'good' thing..I do this with my chicken run as well

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.