German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Protecting those ears in winter (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/376473-protecting-those-ears-winter.html)

Syaoransbear 12-05-2013 10:44 AM

Protecting those ears in winter

So it's -28C right now and -39C with the windchill. Chrono grew in a winter coat but the hair on his ears seems too thin to go for a walk.

Is there any kind of dog hat out there you can get for dogs with erect ears? What does everyone else do to protect their dog's ears in winter?

alexg 12-05-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syaoransbear (Post 4616105)
So it's -28C right now and -39C with the windchill. Chrono grew in a winter coat but the hair on his ears seems too thin to go for a walk.

Is there any kind of dog hat out there you can get for dogs with erect ears? What does everyone else do to protect their dog's ears in winter?

I've never seen a wolf wearing a hat and they have erect years. :)

Saphire 12-05-2013 10:52 AM

same goes for siberian Huskies.

Sunflowers 12-05-2013 10:54 AM

Huh?

Syaoransbear 12-05-2013 10:55 AM

Wolves and huskies have substantially more furred ears than a german shepherd. As you can see from my avatar, there are places in his ears where there is bare skin that would not do well with -39C windchill.

Also, since it's only early december, his winter coat isn't as thick as it could be yet, although his coat never gets even close to the thickness of a husky or a wolf to begin with.

ShenzisMom 12-05-2013 11:15 AM

Doberman owners use 'snoods'. Check out etsy :)

Saphire 12-05-2013 11:32 AM

Gets very cold here too, so on those days where it is over the top cold my dog isn't out for long periods. Mostly because I don't want to be outside.

Police dogs here are kenneled outside all year round and have no issues with their ears freezing.

ShenzisMom 12-05-2013 12:59 PM

I don't think my end of Ontario ever gets to be -28c. I think they would bring the dogs in if it were that cold. If your bare skin is cold, then they are too. (Lack of fur on ears)

Saphire 12-05-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShenzisMom (Post 4616993)
I don't think my end of Ontario ever gets to be -28c. I think they would bring the dogs in if it were that cold. If your bare skin is cold, then they are too. (Lack of fur on ears)

I am not too far from you...Orillia and we do get cold fronts that bring us to those temperatures, maybe worse if you take into consideration wind chill but they are short lived...thankfully!!

ShenzisMom 12-05-2013 04:06 PM

Oo Orillia is not far at all! My inlaws lived in Barrie and it was soooo cold compared to here, I always blamed it on the lack of buildings to break the wind ;)
Sidenote, would love to meet up if you ever find yourself at woofstock or a dog show. I'm still miffed they cancelled winter woofstock lol