German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   I Hope Their Night Vision is Better Than Ours (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/375641-i-hope-their-night-vision-better-than-ours.html)

argonne 12-03-2013 06:14 PM

I Hope Their Night Vision is Better Than Ours

We have farm fields bordering two sides of our house, and those sides are naturally where we walk the dogs. One is an 18 month old GSD and the other is a 9 year old Dobe/Shepherd mix. Both black as night with some tan tossed in in the usual locations.

Living in the country, it is DARK out at night. Some nights you can't see your hand in front of your face. Forget about being able to see the dogs on those nights. Even with a flashlight finding and tracking them with the beam is difficult.

The normal routine is that they will trot out into the field and find their "special spot", do their business, and then run back just as fast as they can, sometimes from 100 yards away.

When I hear the dogs running flat out at me all I can do is turn my back to them and pray that they can see better than I can, because I can't see squat out there.

So far, there has never been a collision, but I don't know if I'm just lucky and should be updating my will.

I just did the math. Lets take an 80lb dog running at 20mph (pretty slow actually, I had one that could do 32) which is 33 feet per second. If said dog collides with a squishy object (me) and takes an entire second to expend his kinetic energy (bones breaking takes time), he will impart 2640 ft/lbs of energy, which happens to be the muzzle energy of the worlds most powerful factory handgun cartridge, the 500 S&W Magnum.

Dogs can see really good at night, right? Right?

Springbrz 12-03-2013 06:34 PM

:eek: oh...geez...I hope so...

Baillif 12-03-2013 06:41 PM

They can see better than we can. They have Tapetum Lucidum that helps reflect what light there is back to the retina. It's why their eyes look like the are glowing when you shine lights on them at night.

Sp00ks 12-03-2013 06:48 PM

I can't really answer your question but I do feel your impending pain as another country living individual.

andreaB 12-03-2013 06:59 PM

my boy is solid black and I can't see him at night ether, so I give him cheap hiking head lamp around the neck

argonne 12-03-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baillif (Post 4607145)
They can see better than we can. They have Tapetum Lucidum that helps reflect what light there is back to the retina. It's why their eyes look like the are glowing when you shine lights on them at night.

Oh, that's good to hear.

Castlemaid 12-03-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andreaB (Post 4607225)
my boy is solid black and I can't see him at night ether, so I give him cheap hiking head lamp around the neck

That's what I do with my guys!

Baillif 12-03-2013 10:24 PM

Hang some glowsticks around their necks turn on some music and bam GSD rave party.

jocoyn 12-03-2013 10:30 PM

I have a glow doggie collar and it is pretty sweet.

David Winners 12-03-2013 10:37 PM

I use these for night training and off leash romping.

Dogs see far better at night than we do. They are naturally nocturnal hunters.