Leaving dogs in car while you shop - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Leaving dogs in car while you shop

I always try to take my dogs with me when I go places instead of leaving them at home in a crate (weather permitting of course). I've never had a problem until now. I took my dogs for a walk in the park and then stopped into a store and was in the store for about 10 minutes and came back out. I parked at the far end of the parking lot where there weren't many cars around. When I came out I saw a small child trying to reach my dog through the window. Luckily it was to high. I yelled "no" and the kid went back to his car. Then the kid brought out his dog and was trying to hold it up to the window to see my dogs. I started running and yelling at this point. My dogs were so well behaved. They didn't even bark at the kid. I couldn't believe it when I got to my car because the mom was sitting right there and then the dad got out of the car. I told the children not to do that because they could get bit. The mom said "sorry". I can't write down the words I thought in my head because they are not nice. Has anyone else experienced anything like this. I would think people would not approach a SUV with 2 GSD's in it.
kbella999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Sounds like the parents there had a case of the stupids. You can never know what or who will be near your car when you are inside a store for any length of time. I never leave my dog in my car without a human along with her. I do of course live where 90% of the time it's too hot to leave a dog in a car.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I have serious doubts Beau would do anything but people are stupid. I covered the openings of his dog box (in the back of the truck) with 1/4 inch hardware cloth to keep his paws in and other folks fingers and "gifts" out.

It also has a lock and cannot be pulled from the back of the truck with the tailgate locked.

Sad commentary that folks don't leave your stuff alone.

EDIT-I actually wound up with locking dog boxes and a way to lock my gear underneath a platform in my truck because I had about $600 worth of gear stolen from an unlocked vehicle during an actual search. Lovely.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I personally would never leave my dogs in a car alone while I shopped. I just don't trust people.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

My DH & I were in the video store getting a rental and we had our boy Riggs with us. The weather was nice so I left the window all the way down - I knew Riggs would never leave the car. As we are checking out I see a man walk by the car, stop, lean in and HUG Riggs!!

Riggs just looked at the man like "Are you CRAZY??" and sat there.

Yes, people are stupid but I still bring my Shepherd Mauser with me when we go shopping because he loves the car so much.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

glad you came out in time to stop anything from happening, sounds your like your dogs behaved nicely. I don't usually leave mine alone very often, but I did twice this weekend. Came back out to my truck and a woman said how well behaved they were and said the guy with the blue heeler (barking @ my dogs from the car next to me) could learn a thing or two from mine. Lucky I didn't have Ranger or she wouldn't have thought too much of me either lol!
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

I always take Hans any time it is possible to do so. I have left him in the Jeep up to 45 minutes if I am shopping, as long as weather permits. Today, for example, it is a high of 53 degrees and he will be at work with me, waiting in the Jeep with the windows down a few inches and his crate fan blowing on him. I make time in my schedule to walk him, so he can potty and stretch his legs. Doesn't sound like an exciting day for him, but I know he prefers it over being crated at home.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
MyHans-someBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

I take Ammo with me whenever the weather allows it. He doesn't do very well in his crate and home. We have a Yukon so he has the back of it to move around in. With the windows cracked, people can't get to him. He loves it because he can watch people walk past and he knows where I am. It is less stressful on all of use. I have left him in the car while we eat out or shop. My Boxer that I had was the same way. He would rather go with us and stay in the vehicle then stay at the house alone.
OUbrat79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

was at a restaurant once, Max and his girl was in the van, came out and a lady asked if we were the owners of the van, I thought oh crap, cause I could see and hear Max going nuts, she commented how beautiful the Afghan was, and then said "only a fool" would get near that van, she said as she got close enough to the window which was open at bit, Max came roaring from the back of the van

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
ken k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have a fear of our dogs being stolen, not necessarily the dogs harming anyone dumb enough to put their limbs inside the car.

I will take Akira to run short errands. But not to errands I know I will be out of car range for more than 15 min.
AKIRA3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.