German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Leaving dogs in car while you shop (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/374969-leaving-dogs-car-while-you-shop.html)

kbella999 12-02-2013 10:08 AM

Leaving dogs in car while you shop

I always try to take my dogs with me when I go places instead of leaving them at home in a crate (weather permitting of course). I've never had a problem until now. I took my dogs for a walk in the park and then stopped into a store and was in the store for about 10 minutes and came back out. I parked at the far end of the parking lot where there weren't many cars around. When I came out I saw a small child trying to reach my dog through the window. Luckily it was to high. I yelled "no" and the kid went back to his car. Then the kid brought out his dog and was trying to hold it up to the window to see my dogs. I started running and yelling at this point. My dogs were so well behaved. They didn't even bark at the kid. I couldn't believe it when I got to my car because the mom was sitting right there and then the dad got out of the car. I told the children not to do that because they could get bit. The mom said "sorry". I can't write down the words I thought in my head because they are not nice. Has anyone else experienced anything like this. I would think people would not approach a SUV with 2 GSD's in it.

pyratemom 12-02-2013 11:06 AM

Sounds like the parents there had a case of the stupids. You can never know what or who will be near your car when you are inside a store for any length of time. I never leave my dog in my car without a human along with her. I do of course live where 90% of the time it's too hot to leave a dog in a car.

jocoyn 12-02-2013 11:07 AM

I have serious doubts Beau would do anything but people are stupid. I covered the openings of his dog box (in the back of the truck) with 1/4 inch hardware cloth to keep his paws in and other folks fingers and "gifts" out.

It also has a lock and cannot be pulled from the back of the truck with the tailgate locked.

Sad commentary that folks don't leave your stuff alone.

EDIT-I actually wound up with locking dog boxes and a way to lock my gear underneath a platform in my truck because I had about $600 worth of gear stolen from an unlocked vehicle during an actual search. Lovely.

trcy 12-02-2013 11:47 AM

I personally would never leave my dogs in a car alone while I shopped. I just don't trust people.

Lauri & The Gang 12-02-2013 11:56 AM

My DH & I were in the video store getting a rental and we had our boy Riggs with us. The weather was nice so I left the window all the way down - I knew Riggs would never leave the car. As we are checking out I see a man walk by the car, stop, lean in and HUG Riggs!!

Riggs just looked at the man like "Are you CRAZY??" and sat there.

Yes, people are stupid but I still bring my Shepherd Mauser with me when we go shopping because he loves the car so much.

Nigel 12-02-2013 11:58 AM

glad you came out in time to stop anything from happening, sounds your like your dogs behaved nicely. I don't usually leave mine alone very often, but I did twice this weekend. Came back out to my truck and a woman said how well behaved they were and said the guy with the blue heeler (barking @ my dogs from the car next to me) could learn a thing or two from mine. Lucky I didn't have Ranger or she wouldn't have thought too much of me either lol!

MyHans-someBoy 12-02-2013 11:59 AM

I always take Hans any time it is possible to do so. I have left him in the Jeep up to 45 minutes if I am shopping, as long as weather permits. Today, for example, it is a high of 53 degrees and he will be at work with me, waiting in the Jeep with the windows down a few inches and his crate fan blowing on him. I make time in my schedule to walk him, so he can potty and stretch his legs. Doesn't sound like an exciting day for him, but I know he prefers it over being crated at home.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

OUbrat79 12-02-2013 12:17 PM

I take Ammo with me whenever the weather allows it. He doesn't do very well in his crate and home. We have a Yukon so he has the back of it to move around in. With the windows cracked, people can't get to him. He loves it because he can watch people walk past and he knows where I am. It is less stressful on all of use. I have left him in the car while we eat out or shop. My Boxer that I had was the same way. He would rather go with us and stay in the vehicle then stay at the house alone.

ken k 12-02-2013 12:18 PM

was at a restaurant once, Max and his girl was in the van, came out and a lady asked if we were the owners of the van, I thought oh crap, cause I could see and hear Max going nuts, she commented how beautiful the Afghan was, and then said "only a fool" would get near that van, she said as she got close enough to the window which was open at bit, Max came roaring from the back of the van

AKIRA3 12-02-2013 01:07 PM

I have a fear of our dogs being stolen, not necessarily the dogs harming anyone dumb enough to put their limbs inside the car.

I will take Akira to run short errands. But not to errands I know I will be out of car range for more than 15 min.