German Shepherds Forum banner

How many people have only one dog?

3K views 37 replies 34 participants last post by  AXO 
#1 ·
Macy, our 16 week old pup, is our only pet and I sometimes feel bad for that. I can see how much she loves to be around other dogs she knows... She has sooo much fun when I bring her to my parents who have an older lab and a lab/collie puppy. I wish for her that we could get another dog so she has a friend around all the time but it's just totally the wrong timing for us.
Anybody else have just one dog?

#4 ·
I had only one dog for a very long time. When I stepped up to two it was not by design but more necessity. It worked well that time and the next pairing worked quite well too. Current two are not a poweder keg by any means, but both are dogs that would likely do better as single dogs. I manage, they manage. It'll all come out in the wash.

#7 ·
My Sage, who loves to play with my other two GSDs, could easily be happy as an "only" dog. Not all dogs need friends to live with.

#9 ·
I only have one dog right now and it is the first time since 1985 that we have been a "one dog" house. I do plan to add another maybe next spring/summer but wanted to wait until Beau was 3 or 4. .........he will be 3 in July.

But we spend a lot of time together since I telecommute.

#25 ·
I only have one dog right now and it is the first time since 1985 that we have been a "one dog" house. I do plan to add another maybe next spring/summer but wanted to wait until Beau was 3 or 4. .........he will be 3 in July.
Same here. We don't have a dog right now actually. Our son moved back in with his dog temporarily (we will wait to see how temporary it is) His dog helps us with the non-dog situation.

My opinion: I thought once, what was the difference adding another dog. A couple more vet visits, and more food. Well, we found that two dogs took a LOT more care. Packing two dogs in a car vs. one was quite a bit more trouble sometimes. We found ourselves leaving the dogs at home more.

Would I do two dogs again? Absolutely. However, it was a lot more work than I expected. Especially two large breed dogs.

#10 ·
I had my oldest by herself for a long time. That was a long time ago and I can't imagine just one dog, the house would be way to quiet:)

#16 ·
The op was feeling bad about only having one dog when one is a young pup. I was illustrating how I had two and they are pretty much indifferent with each other. It is probably better to post links about the nightmare that is raising two young pups at the same time though.

#18 ·
We only have one dog at the moment. Will most likely keep it that way. If we were younger I'm sure we would get a second dog. I do understand your feeling about a companion for your current dog. Many on the forum believe that dogs don't "need" another dog to be happy. That may very well be true, but dogs are pack animals. We've had more than one dog in the past and I know that they had fun playing with each other. They entertained each other when we didn't have time to play with them. I may be able to play tug and fetch but I think there are times when a dog would just rather run with and bite playfully at another of there own kind.

#20 ·
I do. I sometimes prefer it. I am my dogs world, and he thinks I am the funnest person ever, even more so than other dogs - which I use to my advantage with training :)

#23 ·
Our Pekingese was an only dog until he was about 6, and he adjusted well when we introduced our first GSD, Reba, to the house (she was 2). He loved getting all the attention when he was an only dog, and enjoyed having someone to play with after we got Reba, and then Discoe.
I don't see a problem with only having one dog. I'm personally a person who prefers to have fewer animals. I don't have a lot of time on my hands, and I often felt bad when I would do something with the one dog, and then run short on time or energy to match that with the other dog. Then I'd feel like I was phoning in the second dog's one-on-one time with me, though I know it made no difference to them. They were both happy either way. But it bothered me.

#26 ·
We only have one dog, she has a huge presence, it feels like more than one.
I enjoy being able to focus a lot of attention on her, she deserves it.
More than one dog would not be practical either. I've finally decided on a new car (its not in dealerships yet) and would not want to upgrade to something larger to fit two dogs and two or more people.

#28 ·
I only have one dog (my first dog) and have mixed feelings about adding another. I enjoy the relationship I have with my dog and it's tough to imagine a second dog in the equation - that said, chances are that I'll eventually add one (or possibly even two) dogs in the future. My dog will hate me the day I do, though... he's definitely an "only child" kind of dog.

#29 ·
We had 2 dogs until both if them passed.
They were a perfect set. A schnauzer mix and a Doberman.
The dobie grew up with the schnauzer.
They lived in Harmony together.
after the schnauzer passed we thought a friend would help the Doberman cope.
We rescued another Doberman. They got along great.....for awhile. Once the female Doberman hit 1 yrs old she started to Attack the older male dobie. She put a hole right through his head. it was dangerous. We could not leave them alone in the house together.
We had to re home the young female. When the older dobie passed, we swore no more dogs.

Then we caved and rescued our GSD Akira.
We have some more training to do before we decide to add another.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.