German Shepherds Forum banner

How many people have only one dog?

3K views 37 replies 34 participants last post by  AXO 
#1 ·
Macy, our 16 week old pup, is our only pet and I sometimes feel bad for that. I can see how much she loves to be around other dogs she knows... She has sooo much fun when I bring her to my parents who have an older lab and a lab/collie puppy. I wish for her that we could get another dog so she has a friend around all the time but it's just totally the wrong timing for us.
Anybody else have just one dog?

#30 ·
We had three dogs in my last house, one per person in a roommate situation. Mine, Anna, was a lab/chow mix I rescued from neglect as a senior (thinking she was 11 at the time). My roommate Rick had a young Beagle. They got along great, would even play and wrestle as best she could with arthritis.

Then I met my boyfriend, and he moved in with his huge Bassett Hound (Schroder) who is also a senior and had been an only dog all his life until then. Schroder loved it, he played and slimmed back down to a healthy weight, we all took care of eachothers dogs for feeding and bringing them in at night.

When we bought our house this year, Rick decided not to move with us, so it was just Anna and Schroder, two old farts milling around the yard and laying in the sun all day: however, they were both happy dogs.

When Anna died, I wasn't planning to get another dog for a long time. Heck, it's been months and I still get choked up like right now. But Schroder was a mess...I would leave for school and come home to him howling after ever class. I don't know what Mike did while raising him, but he had some separation anxiety as a pup too. I wanted to try being a one dog family, but once we went to the shelter just to "look" (my fiance is a crafty man!), I knew I couldn't leave without saving a puppy.

I was blessed with our GSD mix, Bentley, and it's been wonderful. But I also have a lot of time for them both as I only have classes for three hours a day, and Mike gets home while I'm in classes.

Also, in the long run, I know Schroder is getting older...a few more years...and I can't imagine our house without a dog, how empty it would feel.

#35 ·
We are a one dog household. I have always only owned one dog at a time. I like it that way. I do take in foster dogs when my schedule allows and I like that I am able to do so. For me, it is much easier to incorporate a foster dog when there is only one resident dog. I know my limitations : )

Of course, my cat thinks he is a dog and if he could talk he would probably insist that I count him as my second dog : )

#36 ·
We have been a one dog household for 2.5 years, and I am grateful Hunter was raised alone because our bond was cemented. I, however, always wanted two dogs... and we are at the right time in our lives to add another. I look forward to having a two dog household in 2 months.

#37 ·
My first dog died last month, and now I have another named Chief, my first GSD. I only want one. They live their life here, and you love them more than youwould if you had two because there arent others you love, just one you put all your careness into.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.