Avoiding her crate. Why? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2013, 03:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Avoiding her crate. Why?

It has been a few weeks like this. Both my pups are crated at night. Smokey goes in as if he can read my mind when it is bed time or work time. But Zeeva runs away. She goes and hides behind a tree or in a corner. Sometimes she starts to chase her tail as if she is super stressed. Their crates are outside right now because my mom and my mother-in-law are staying with us. Both pups have warm blankets, proper locks and it doesn't get below 40s here...to get her in she simply sees the remote to her e-collar (collar does not have to be on her). She is fine at night because I sleep by their window and I am a light sleeper so I think I know...

Why do you think she gets stressed out about going into her crate?

I want her to be happy the way she use to be (even outside) when it was bed/crate time. She does this in the morning too before I leave for work. She gets about 45 min in the morning of out of crate time. And she isn't in there for more than four hours at a time during the day and eight hours at night...
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you are in Chicago, it gets to freezing at night and it is windy. A Husky is ok with this, but she may not be, if she is used to being in a warm house to sleep.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I don't get the crating outdoors thing either. Dogs are a member of my family and it's too cold outdoors for just a crate right now. If my parents come to my house then I don't throw my dogs outside while they are there. I may need to be more careful and not let them into the guest room.... but they don't suddenly become lesser members of my family that I barricade in the yard.

I think I am a bit confused when you mentioned the crates and the e-collar thing? I know you aren't using corrections and the collar in any way in relation to your dogs going into the crate......... realizing that the negative of the collar would clearly transfer to making the crate a horrible negative thing also.

Crates are to be wonderful positive safe havens for our dogs. So we need to work on linking positive, good fun things with the crates. The work to reward and have them love the crate is key. In no way should we ever link any punishment/corrections/negative or we should expect avoidance and fear.

Have you been working on all the clicker training skills? If she's really terrified then this will take some time. But once the crates are back in the house it will be comfortable for everyone. There are actually games and toys you can use (and treats) to help get this back on track.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Doesn't get below 40 in Chicago? Weather History for Chicago, IL | Weather Underground

Young pups cannot regulate their temperature as well in any case. I fail to see why having people over means your pups should be dislodged to the wintery outdoors.
gloomydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Amina is in California or Arizona. Not in Chicago anymore.

Amina - is crating them outside a new thing with your visitors?

Make a game of it like MLR posted.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

Lighten up about the pets being kept outside right now with visitors in the house. Correct me if I am wrong - but I believe there are some cultural issues regarding dogs.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

While I agree it's a cultural issue, IMHO, if both her mother and mother-in-law are guests in her house, they should at least be able to tolerate having her dogs sleep inside ... her house/her rules.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

sooooo....the issue at hand is why Zeeva is reluctant to go into her crate. None of us live Amina's life so we can have all the opinions in the world but that doesn't help solve the problem.

Where exactly are you living right now? What wildlife might be around that could scare her? do you have a garage to put the crates in rather than outside? What kind of crates? do you have a kennel? Can you invest in a kennel run instead of a locked crate?

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Amina is in California or Arizona. Not in Chicago anymore.

Amina - is crating them outside a new thing with your visitors?

Make a game of it like MLR posted.
You're right. I just checked, and it's now Fresno.
She has moved so many times that I lost track

Even so, in the next two days it's going to get in the low 30s at night. Just because it's California doesn't mean it's warm at night everywhere!

Last edited by Sunflowers; 12-01-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

I second the crate games too but may be harder to implement if the dog is not food motivated.

Have you tried covering the 3 sides of the crate with a thick towel/sheet (except the door)? If you can put them in a corner with an outdoor big umbrella over it or some place that has some covering that may help. And try feeding Zeeva in the crate if not already.

If you must use the presence of an ecollar, do you also reward her when she gets into the crate? Not sure what she likes but she should get some of what she really likes when she goes into the crate.

I'd also not just do crate training for sleeping and when you're leaving. Try doing it randomly throughout the day for a minute or two and sit there and play with her. Don't leave.

I remember one of your posts said Zeeva likes to tug, then maybe you can use that to play crate games with her. Tug, lure her into the crate or just go near the crate with the tug play and teach her that whenever she runs into the crate she gets to run out and play tug with you. So something like - play tug. Stop tug game, have her go into her crate, then out right away and play tug. Repeat and slowly increase crate time. And stop using ecollar if the tug/crate games work.
Bear L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.