What is a 'bad' pet owner to you? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2013, 03:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default What is a 'bad' pet owner to you?

What is a 'bad' pet owner to you?

Is it someone who has an outdoor only dog?

Is it someone who doesn't exercise their dog enough and doesn't provide adequate training?

Someone who won't euthanize their dog that's in pain because they can't let go?

Someone who abuses their dog? Doesn't provide enough food or water?

Someone whose dog is constantly chained outside?

Someone who doesn't feed good food or take their dog to the vet because they can't afford to?

All of the above? A few of the above? Any type of 'bad owner' that you can add?

Where do YOU draw the line between a good pet owner and a bad one?

I constantly feel like a bad owner so I just wanted to see what others think in general about what makes a 'bad' pet owner.
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2013, 03:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

We all can only do what we can with the resources we have and the money we have or don't have. In my opinion a good dog owner loves, looks after, protects, guides, teaches, feeds and provides water. Doesn't matter if you are spending $1.00 or $500 on their food, as long as they are feed and provided water. Doesn't matter if you provide hours of varied exercise in the morning and afternoon or just 20 minute walk around the block after work.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 04:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Id say when someone starves there dog of food and water but not all the above if ypu have pets yes most people have to work to also be sble feed them vet bills so on mist vets will allow payment scheme so can take them amd people who work still give there dogs plenty off attention they just get it when they come home mine get lots kisses and cuddles when I get in and taken for run to me bad owners are them that hit there dogs and starve them I spent my life rescuing gsd in uk and mostly from starvation or beaten to a pulp my laat one was starved and beaten and the beating round his head caused him have epilepsy was so thin could count every bone and knotch on his spine

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
sarah1366 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 04:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

What do you mean, like bad in my mind? Or bad where I step in or call cops? Im pretty strict in my mind- almost all dog owners suck.A dog kept in a dog house in the yard can easily live a better life than many housedogs- even I suck at dog owning and I put alot of effort into it- itd be nice to be 20 years younger. I wont step in unless I witness abuse though.

Last edited by volcano; 11-30-2013 at 04:35 AM.
volcano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 05:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Bad owner IMO is one that breeds dogs for profit or fighting, one that starves dog of food, water, and/or affection, one that leaves a dog outside in all elements without shelter, and one that thinks dogs are disposable, for example dog is sick and they choose to not help it because they can just get another one.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

Some of the ones you list make my list, though I do understand when an owner who otherwise loves his dog is constrained by finances and can't offer the best dog foods or play with dog as much as he'd love to.

The worst dog owner is one who lets his dog get put down out of his own ignorance or passiveness. Someone who fails to train his dog to an acceptable social standard, like the ones who fail to tame their dog's aggressive behavior or take steps to curb those (like if your dog is aggressive, make sure it remains under control always or go somewhere with no other dogs for crying out loud!) Obviously the dog fight people already fall into the despicable human listing as well.
gloomydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

When you go to visit and their dog tries to greet you but it's 60 lbs overweight and haves to crawl to get to you.

It's great your feeding them, but how about exercising them and making sure they are healthy!!!

(There may be health issues relating to obesity)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
scarmack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There are many nuances of bad.
The ones who chain a dog to a tree and forget to feed and water it go without saying.
But there is also:
Get a dog for the kids and then dump it when it is no longer a puppy bad.
Get a dog as an impulse purchase without doing research, without knowing the characteristics of the breed, then blaming the dog for doing what it was bred to do bad.
Get a puppy and blame it for going in the house bad.
Treating a dog like a baby and then dumping the dog for obnoxious behavior bad.
Slapping or hitting bad.
Feeding Beneful bad.
I could go on and on.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A bad owner is someone who does not care enough to provide the basic needs of an animal. A bad owner has no emotional attachment to the animal. A bad owner can provide all of the above and still be a terrible pet owner.

There are just to many things that make up a bad pet owner. And much of it is subjective. YOU, Amina, are NOT a bad pet owner.

I think my MIL is a terrible pet owner. The animals are all well fed, have basic vet care, live inside and she loves them. However, she is a hoarder. The house is full of fleas. The animals are obese. The cat boxes aren't clean. There is feces throughout the house.

My husband is an ok pet owner. Animals are well cared for, fed well and loved. But he doesn't do anything with them except sit on the couch. The only animal he is ever allowed to have ever again is a stuffed teddy bear.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

I contract with a local pet sitting company and the things that I see most often and that make me cringe are:
  • Poor Quality Food (i.e. Beneful, Ol Roy, etc.)
  • Dogs who need their nails trimmed
  • Overweight or underweight pets
  • Animals with tear stains
  • The pets that are clearly starved for attention
  • Dogs with terrible leash manners
  • Animals kept outside
  • Less than sanitary living conditions
  • Outside dogs without ID tags
  • Invisible Fences
  • Non clumping kitty litter (this may be more a personal pet peeve)
  • Dirty aquariums

The greater portion of these are people who are semi trying to be good pet owners because at the very least they have hired a pet sitter to come take care of their animals while away. I'd say most of them just are unaware. Not all, but most.
Kahrg4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.