Beaucerons - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beaucerons

I'd like to get another dog in the next few years, and I'm considering a Beauceron instead of another German Shepherd. I've had German Shepherds for twenty years, just considering something a little different. I like that they are big herding dogs, not too dissimilar to German Shepherds from what I can tell, and I like the harlequin coloring. I don't like ear cropping, and if I decide to go this route, I'd buy one in France, since we go to Europe every year (German husband).
I like this dog:
Elevage du serment des brumes - eleveur de chiens Berger de Beauce

So, anyone have any experience with them?
Ares
asja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

I've met a very few, the two that I met last, (at a dog show),,were very very very aloof,,which is fine by me, I like an aloof dog Nice looking dogs, there aren't that many good breeders here in the states from what the owners of these two I met said.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I've met a very few, the two that I met last, (at a dog show),,were very very very aloof,,which is fine by me, I like an aloof dog Nice looking dogs, there aren't that many good breeders here in the states from what the owners of these two I met said.
I like aloof, I don't like my dog running up to strangers for petting. If I wanted that, I'd get a lab or a golden retriever, nice dogs, just not my personality. The few breeders I've seen here have the black dogs, and crop their ears. If I get one, I'd want a harlequin, and I just can't stand ear cropping. To me it always looks like someone cut off their ears, which is exactly what someone did. Another point, they are rare in the US, so not too many to choose from, and I'm guessing expensive here. Puppies are just not that expensive in Europe, and if we are there anyway, I can bring one back with us.
Ares
Old 11-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

I almost got a Beauceron before I got Qiva. I met quite a few of them and almost put a deposit down. The reason I didnt end up with them is because they are too sharp for my taste, and a LOT of them have questionable temperaments.
mjta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Also on the note of harlequin, it fades. By the time they hit 4 or 5 they just look like a muddy black/tan. They end up looking like this, although he kept more coloring then a lot of them I have seen http://www.overhill.co.uk/wp-content...beauceron1.jpg
mjta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

best that I know, If I were to get one , this is where it would be from Page Title -- have worked with Esa in French Ring --- he is very passionate about having a dog with correct breed character and soundness , whatever breed it should be. Met his Malinois Ferrari -- excellent temperament , not crazy or hyper like so many .

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjta View Post
Also on the note of harlequin, it fades. By the time they hit 4 or 5 they just look like a muddy black/tan. They end up looking like this, although he kept more coloring then a lot of them I have seen http://www.overhill.co.uk/wp-content...beauceron1.jpg
Well that explains it. I've seen photos of very dark harlequins, I didn't realize it fades.
Ares
Old 11-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

you may want to talk to Esa . He goes to France to compete so will know some of the better kennels and better dogs!

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 02:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hi, actually, this is the thread that drives me here, so I guess I'm just gonna tell you about the Beauceron.

I'm french and I live in France. Beaucerons are veeeery commun over here.

A little bit of history first: Beaucerons were bred for herding AND protecting the herd. On that purpose they weren't made to be very friendly with strangers, and they were made strong in order to fight against predators such as wolves. About that, the tan spots just above their eyes are supposed to mimick open eyes even when the dog is asleep lol.

Their "protectiveness" made them great allies for farmer who chained them up and used them to give alert at any intruder. So, for a long time, Beaucerons were not the nice dogs they are today, and there are a lots a people who sees them as vicious dog.

As they were slowly replaced by border collies, breeder changed their way of selection. And today, we have a very stable breed, witch is still protective of his pack but also very suitable as family dog, sports, search and rescue....

As you know, there is black and tan beaucerons ans harlequins. At some point harlequins were not appreciated and not much bred. This is this lack of selection in the color that made harlequins beaucerons a little more timid ad sometimes with health issues. But it changed a few years ago, people loving this color more and more.

Harlequins are now, generally as good as black and tan beaucerons.

But, as you said, this color fades with time. Grey becomes darker and darker.

Here is my harlequin beauceron when he was 3 months old:

and here he is now 3 1/2 years:

I will update later on, about raising them and what to expect in that breed.
BasRouge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 02:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thank you for chiming in BasRouge! Your Beauceron is very pretty. I am hoping to get one of my own soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.