German Shepherds Forum banner

Finding the right rescue cat for life with Beau

3K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  Gharrissc 
#1 ·
So I have posted on my FB but I am going to be rescuing a cat/kitten in the forseeable future and would like to know what most folks (with cats-and I have had cats before) think would work best with a crazy high drive dog.

I do have house rules and don't want mayhem in the house and Beau gets plenty of excercise but I am thinking a mellow cat might be our best option. Definitely doing the rescue thing here - and know there are some Maine **** crosses and Egyptian Mau crosses as well as just generic at the shelter who will adopt to us (and they also allow cats to be indoor/outdor)...But realize the breed of anything will likely be unknown and I am wondering what characteristics to look for at the shelter people have found who work best, tend to be homebodies, affectionate, and not neurotic.

I am pretty sure watching Beau ignore the chipmunks and his behavior around loose cats in the neighborhood that he is going to do just fine though will probably be a challenge wanting to play.

It was quite hard finding a shelter who would accept the fact that I do NOT immunize Beau regularly for Distemper/Parvo but do Titers instead. Good Grief! I am one not to tell folks what they want to hear though but tell it like it is.

See less See more
#2 ·
I find the main thing to look for in a cat coming into a dog household is confidence. If the cat 'walks the walk' as they say most dogs will respect that, cats that are neurotic or overly nervous stimulate prey drive and cats that are so mellow they'll do nothing as the dog humps/bites/drags them around are in danger of being hurt or even killed.

The nice thing about shelter cats is most are dog tested and the staff can hopefully point you towards one that has all the qualities you're looking for. Just like having two dogs, you can match personalities and have a great relationship. Koda loves dogs and once he knows they're safe will follow them around and try to snuggle all day, Zazu couldn't care less, he likes human company. But neither will hesitate to give a growl or warning swipe if needed but it's very rare now

Zazu I swear is part ragdoll and he's too mellow with dogs, Delgado would bug and bug him and Zazu won't stand up for himself. But I've heard so many people say that ragdolls are great because they're so easygoing most dogs will leave them alone :shrug:

#3 ·
Zazu I swear is part ragdoll and he's too mellow with dogs, Delgado would bug and bug him and Zazu won't stand up for himself. But I've heard so many people say that ragdolls are great because they're so easygoing most dogs will leave them alone :shrug:
Tell that to my purebred Ragdoll, she's a beeyotch. She fights with 2 of the cats and doesn't take any crap from nobody. She also isn't mellow and she doesn't go limp when you pick her up. :laugh: However, she is great with the dogs and one of the cats.

I find that the most active, playful, crazy cat gets along better with dogs.

I got my 2 older cats before I got a dog. They are lazy and hate the dogs.

My 2 younger cats I got after having dogs, they are very active, outgoing and they like the dogs.

#5 ·
So active is *not* an issue....Ok.....

I know everyone loves the Maine ***** but they are rather expensive as purebreds. I figure they probably call any big somewhat hairy cat a Maine **** mix but what would I be looking for? I definitely want an affectionate cat.

They have an active 7 month old they are recommending I check out. [I said I would be ok with a black cat, because I understand they have a harder time getting adopted]

Petfinder Adoptable | Cat | Maine **** | Columbus, NC | Mayella

#6 ·
Do you have Petsmart or Petco stores in the area??? Take Beau for a visit...they have shelter cats there....you can guage the reaction of the cats to the dog safely....then visit with one of the cats (with someone else holding the cat!) and Beau....

I got a Bengal in December after losing my 21 year old..she was raised wtih dogs and bonded to Csabre more than me....feeling guilty about buying a cat, I decided to rescue one as well after she settled in...

So about 6 months ago, I got Haze from a Petsmart shelter program...she was one of a group of barn cats turned over to the shelter in a neighboring county...she was vetted (spayed, vaccinated, de-fleaed, wormed, tested for FeLV and FIP) and put into the Petsmart system for adoption....she came up to the dog while in her cage and rubbed on the cage as if to rub on Csabre....so we gave it 2 days, went back and she was still there and we tested her again and she came home....and she is actually much more affectionate than my purebred young Bengal

Lee

#7 · (Edited)
Yes we do. I am taking him to the shelter with me on Sunday but if that does not pan out we can check out the adoption things at the pet stores as well....I am just NOT going to lie about his vaccines! [the titering instead of every so much]

I do see now that people give HW preventive to cats? When did that start?

EDIT-well it appears she is already off the list - but I know going in and MEETING is the way to go.

#8 ·
Yes we do. I am taking him to the shelter with me on Sunday but if that does not pan out we can check out the adoption things at the pet stores as well....I am just NOT going to lie about his vaccines! [the titering instead of every so much]

I do see now that people give HW preventive to cats? When did that start?
I don't give my cats anything.

They get their shots up until they are a year old and then they don't go back to the Vet unless they have an issue, if they are inside cats then there is no need for shots every year, JMO.

I did, however, have to vaccinate everyone when I brought home my youngest cat, the shelter wouldn't let me adopt her without everyone being vaccinated.

#9 ·
A friend of mine passed away suddenly last month and left a fair number of horses, dogs, cats and birds needing to be rehomed. This was an amazing woman, and many people stepped up to help.

But...there are still two cats that need a new home. I believe they are "Snow Shoe" mixes? They are dog savvy, that is for sure. If you want the contact information for the woman that is currently fostering these cats, PM me. They are in Alabama now? Maybe Georgia?
Sheilah

#10 ·
Oh! We just adopted a 6-month old male buff-colored tabby last Saturday. I landed on him because his Petfinder profile described him as rambunctious and fearless. And because he had been bottle fed in a foster home with a dog, so he was already familiar. Also, his age is perfect. Still a baby, but not as vulnerable as a teeninsy one.

So far, we are having great success with our introductions. Jack has dramatically improved his down-stay in his efforts to be allowed to freely observe the kitten's movements. I credit that largely to the cat's confidence. I considered that to be a key. A nervous cat would be more inclined to run, I think, and in a tiny cottage with two high prey-drive dogs, well, that was more than I wanted to worry about.

I did take Jack in to meet the cat at the Petsmart. After observing the dog, and not seeing any hint of aggression toward (or even that much interest in) the cats, the rescue organization let me straight adopt the cat. That was rather than sticking to the foster-and-neuter-my-dog before finalizing adoption plan they had asked me to agree to via email.

I think when the organization sees a responsible adopter come in, with a trained dog, and sound reasons behind their considered health care decisions, they might grant you some leniency with your vaccination choices. (I had also already explained the reasons why I had decided to delay Jack's neuter until he was an adult for health reasons, and that I never intended to allow him to breed in the first place, and that he is closely managed, etc.)

Also, we are following the advice of slowly introducing a new cat into the household, and I think it has helped a lot...though the cat is literally so confident and the dogs have been so well behaved, we've advanced much more quickly through most the steps than I had anticipated:

PAWS - Introducing Your New Cat to Your Dog

#11 ·
sit,stay - thanks I will look more local since there are so many here.....but thanks for thinking of us.

JackandMattie - looks like a good article. I plan on taking all the time in the world! Beau has to ignore cats when he is working out in the woods and I don't want to do anything to mess that up, let along get off on the wrong foot!

#13 ·
sit,stay - thanks I will look more local since there are so many here.....but thanks for thinking of us.

JackandMattie - looks like a good article. I plan on taking all the time in the world! Beau has to ignore cats when he is working out in the woods and I don't want to do anything to mess that up, let along get off on the wrong foot!
I had planned on taking all the time in the world, too, but they are pushing me along, lol. You're gonna enjoy it :)

Oh and what Wolfstraum says above...I think the rescue works together with Petsmart, but isn't necessarily Petsmart. Could be different everywhere, but here they weren't affiliated. And I had to fill out a seriously in-depth online application asking all about my living arrangements, all of my pets present and past, etc. After you described one pet, whether it was neutered, and at what age and for what reason it died, it would pop up again... tell me about your next pet. I just quit after the past Five, lol!...

Point is, don't rule them out or in just because they're sitting in Petsmart, or because the rescue initially tells you its rules are such and such. I haven't been on lately and had forgotten you have a truly professional dog. You're a dream come true for a rescue!

#12 ·
Petsmart asked no questions about the home suitability at all....I signed the adoption papers, paid the fee of $25 (which I felt guilty about being so low given all the vet work done!!!) and brought in my own carrier and took home the cat

Lee

#14 ·
I really hit it off with the rescue we are going to on Sunday! We have emailed each other back at least once a day so plan B will be if nothing is there but I don't mind waiting. She immediately came up with a small group of cats that could work based on my description of Beau.

The other one just would not let me explain about titers and said "those are the rules" and a third has not even got back to me after I filled out a grueling application.

#15 ·
I have had a housefull of cats, 5 in total. Two sets of sista's:),,I lost the two older girls within the last year at 21 years of age. Granted, the ones I got I rescued as kittens, but all of them loved/love the dogs.

I like Lee's idea of Petsmart, if you can't find anything local to you..They have cats from the HS here in our Petsmart so they are in need of homes..

Masi is crazy with one of our cats, "Boogie" who thinks she is a dog, they are so funny together, Boogie will hang off masi's neck, while masi goobers her up..They sleep with her to:)

I can't believe that some of the rescues/shelters want to know about the dog's vac / titers?

And LEE you got a bargain! The petsmart here, well the HS in there, charges 125-200 bucks per cat, they have been s/n and up to date with vac's, as well as microchpped..

Good luck finding Beau a buddy, I'd let him 'choose" :)

OOps wanted to add, since mine are inside cats, they get their initial kitten vacs, and I've never vac'd them again,

#16 ·
Yep, I went ahead and put in an application with the folks who have their rescue at the Petsmart locally.

They want to know a *2nd* source of income? I have a good job and savings. Never had a breeder ask that one. Oh, I can understand....rescues have probably already been through a lot and maybe people value more what they pay more for....I guess. I never though that way.

They did ask what I would do if the cat did not get along with the dog and I said I have enough room to separate them but I would not want to spend a lifetime juggling animals, and would offer to foster the cat until a new home was found.....not sure if that is what they "want" to hear. But I also said the right selection and introductions should make that a non point.

Things like what to do if you have to move to an apartment that won't take pets. Well sure we own our house outright......but in the past we have taken less than desirable homes for rental because we couldn't find an apartment that would take our dogs.

WOW. 2nd degree here. All kinds of things like that.

#17 ·
I sometimes get the feeling rescues don't want to adopt out to homes, and make it so only 1/10 would pass their no exceptions rules. To the one person who passed, sorry we don't have anything to meet your needs :(.

Anyways major kudos to you for trying! I hope you get the kitty of your dreams :)

#20 ·
That's what I always thought..... so that's what we did. It's been a headache. Now that the kitten is a little bigger, we've started to slowly introduce him... he's fearless and loves the dogs (too much actually!)... but Duke has been awful. It'll be a long process. Hindsight 20/20, I think I would have probably gone the older kitten/cat with dog experience instead.

OP... good luck finding the right kitty! I love Maine ***** and personally always saw them as the perfect dog owner's cat. They usually grow to a decent size and have the attitude and personality to deal with the larger and more high drive dogs. I brought in a few cats while we had the goldens, and also did a lot of fostering for a local cat rescue..... I never had an issue bringing a maine **** into the house. Otherwise, it was hit or miss. Sometimes the kittens were easier to acclimate to the dogs, and sometimes they weren't. I was shocked at how often even the older cats would come in and have no issues with them. Though we did have a lot of them that were scared out of their mind and had to be worked with for a long time, or placed in a home without dogs.

I like Lee's suggestion. If they don't like dogs, or have an issue.... you'll see that right away! The one that comes up and sniffs or rubs on him..... That's a winner! :)

#19 ·
Hazy was cited as a year old and the Bengal, Giza, was 7 months when I got them....I know the Bengal was raised with Labs and Hazy from a barn so probably exposed to dogs....she is not as affectionate as Giza with the dogs...Giza grooms Csabre whenever she can, but I have seen Hazy curl up with Komet on a dog bed....

Yea - I guess they got alot of vet work donated and wanted to move the cats fast....I was shocked at the $25 adoption fee....I have seen them higher at other petsmarts that work with shelters/rescues...

Lee

#22 ·
While I agree that starting with a kitten is probably the best option, I was lucky. I brought my dog into the room with the cats in cages (this was at petsmart). I did it on a whim to see how my dog (who was 18 months at the time) would react to cats. A cat came nose to nose with dog through the cat cage and my dog, tentatively, went up to the cat - too stinking cute. But another cat hissed at dog and my dog jumped three feet in the air and hightailed it out of there.

Turns out the cat that came to meet my dog was raised with dogs and had no fear - very dog savvy. We took the cat into a separate room with my dog. The cat was very friendly and my dog (German Shepherd/Rottie mix) hid behind me in all of his cowardly glory. I said, "I'll take the cat!" LOL My dog continued to hide from the cat for about two weeks...but the cat, who was VERY affectionate, wanted to snuggle with the dog. It was hysterical. If the cat sat in front of the dogs food bowl, the dog would whine because he couldn't get to the food. By the end of two weeks, the dog grudgingly let the cat snuggle with him. Eventually, they developed a friendship and when the cat would run, the dog would chase. But once the cat stopped, the dog didn't know what to do. He had no kill instinct.

For a dog who had no exposure to cats, he was remarkably good with all small animals. I miss him every day. But I went with a dog savvy cat and it was a great experience. With cats, I prefer adults because you know how they'll be as adults. Cats can be so independent and finicky...so it was nice to know I was getting an affectionate cat who liked dogs.

#24 ·
So sorry for your loss. Glad you are jumping in again. I am still torn with whether to get one or two. I am more inclined to get one then get a second later down the road; I think it would bond better with us and Beau.....(just one)

#27 ·
I think a dog savvy adult is the right choice. I'm sure you remember Cleo...Rafi was terrified of her. However, Mr. Malinut was another story altogether with two kittens running around the house. Things are fine now (luckily he's very easy to train and has self-control) but my female cat is scared of other dogs now. When I got her she was not. :(

#28 ·
Leave it to Beau. We go outside for his morning constitutional and I hear noises behind our fence. He does too. But then he sees his beloved Jolly Ball. While I am watching the white tail flashes of a deer moving through the woods, he is wrestling with his ball. :)

Now, if it were a person he would have barked. A dog, he would have barked. A deer, meh.

#29 ·
I so want a Bengal. I can't have a cat tho. I use a doggie door and if a dog can get out, a cat can get out. Where I live you might as well paint a target on a cat if it's off your property. Rural ******* living has its perks and drawbacks.

#30 ·
The cat came first she was 6 years old the GSD I owned at the time got along great with her. Being rescued from a breeder mill she was a little skidish but after hiding under the bed a few days she acclimated, a couple of years later my GSD passed and I brought in a new 8 month old puppy, cat gave him a couple of close clawed swipes and they get along great now.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.