German Shepherds Forum banner

Finding the right rescue cat for life with Beau

3K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  Gharrissc 
#1 ·
So I have posted on my FB but I am going to be rescuing a cat/kitten in the forseeable future and would like to know what most folks (with cats-and I have had cats before) think would work best with a crazy high drive dog.

I do have house rules and don't want mayhem in the house and Beau gets plenty of excercise but I am thinking a mellow cat might be our best option. Definitely doing the rescue thing here - and know there are some Maine **** crosses and Egyptian Mau crosses as well as just generic at the shelter who will adopt to us (and they also allow cats to be indoor/outdor)...But realize the breed of anything will likely be unknown and I am wondering what characteristics to look for at the shelter people have found who work best, tend to be homebodies, affectionate, and not neurotic.

I am pretty sure watching Beau ignore the chipmunks and his behavior around loose cats in the neighborhood that he is going to do just fine though will probably be a challenge wanting to play.

It was quite hard finding a shelter who would accept the fact that I do NOT immunize Beau regularly for Distemper/Parvo but do Titers instead. Good Grief! I am one not to tell folks what they want to hear though but tell it like it is.

See less See more
#31 ·
We got Bob and Jangles in Sunday. Two females - will upload pictures later. They are great. The met Beau through the crate and it was love at first sight. Bob is a bobtailed calico cat (not sure if natural or missing) and Jangles is tortiseshell. Different personalities. Bob likes to cuddle more / Jangles likes to play more. They have Bob at around 2 and Jangles around 1.

I figured when we let them out of the crates when we got them home they would dive for the nearest hiding place but, no.....they started exploring right away! Confident cats.

#34 ·
That's great, can't wait to see photos! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.