Pros and Cons ; Inside or Out - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Exclamation Pros and Cons ; Inside or Out

Hey all! I am new to this forum, I have been browsing for a long time and finally thought I should post! So, here goes: I am a super big animal lover, any animal is AWESOME, but I particularly LOVE german shepherds. Back in March my dad said we could talk about fostering one. I thought it was a great idea! And now it is July, 5 months later and I am still asking to foster! My dad told me to make sure everyone is fine with it and then we can talk to the queen...my mother. I asked all of my siblings, and they were totally fine with it. I told my dad and we confronted my mom. (Now she is not a big animal person, every single pet we have she coaxed into getting, except one which she got for herself then gave to my brother). She was not happy about the idea and shot me down. My dad told me he would handle, yet still has done nothing. Now ever since march we have been talking about getting a fence for our backyard(the back part of our yard isn't fenced, but has a large hill), and I thought it was because a rescue wouldn't let us foster without a fence. Turn out he would want the GSD to sleep outside. I dream of having a GSD sleeping in my bed, watching TV on the couch and she falls asleep and I cant get up, and he tells me it would be outside. He said a dog that size would get depressed living inside. Now with my constant browsing of this forum I know it isn't true. If I can get my dad on board with the dog staying inside, he can talk my mom into it. So, pretty much I want to write up a presentation of why a GSD should be inside, why it is a great dog, I just want information that will tell him how loving they are and why they would prefer to be inside dogs and get exercise everyday, than get exercise all hours of the day outside and want to be inside with their family. So, please give me Pros and Cons of a german shepherd and a ton of information of why they should be inside. I have been wanting to foster for 5 months, but have wanted one for years. Please help me out. Thanks. Also, please don't say anything rude. P.S. I forgot to mention!! I live in an area with coyotes, bobcats and mountain lions. I am near a lot of trails and nature, and at night they come out. Also it very very HOT where I live and very very cold at night. It would be cruel to leave a dog outside. HECK, I am scared to go outside at night.
GSDLover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Welcome GSDLover!

FWIW: I'm your dad's age. I was raised to believe dogs (esp big ones like GSDs) had to stay outside. I now have a rescue GSD who stays inside with us AND outside. It works very well for us, and her.

GSDs are very social and love to be with their family. Your dad should learn that the dog will be happier inside with you rather than outside. It is also easy to train them to be good "inside" dogs--they won't mess the floor, won't bite or destroy furniture, won't jump on furniture, etc. (your fantasy about the dog sleeping with you and on the couch might have to yield to Dad's wishes as a compromise). The only downside to having the GSD inside that I see is that is does shed, a LOT. You will have to promise your family that YOU will vacuum daily, sometimes twice a day, wherever the dog has been to keep the hair cleaned up. Are you willing to do this? You will also have to brush the dog daily.

The only downside I see to keeping the dog inside is that if it gets sick then you have a mess to clean up in the house. This has happened to us twice in 2 1/2 years.

Generally, the dog should stay inside all night (esp if there is dangerous wildlife around) and then can stay outside most of the day as long as you give it good morning and afternoon walks, play, and attention. You should also keep it inside for several hours so it gets some family/bonding time--I recommend in the evening.

If you are patient and get a good dog, and if you work diligently to train it, your Dad should come to love and appreciate it, and he won't mind it being around inside. If your parents give you the opportunity, please be a responsible owner and you and they will reap the benefits! Good luck!
billsharp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have had a lot of dogs over the years and everyone of them has slept in the house at night. My dogs normally choose to be wherever I am.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

imho, a family gsd does not belong outside at night.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Welcome to the forum. You seem like a really smart and cool person. I'm very impressed at how much research and planning you are putting into such an important decision. And someday when you have your own house you will be a great foster and rescuer. But your mom is the "queen" of her castle and if this isn't something she wants I don't think it should be pushed on her. I mean that sincerely not rudely. And I don't know what the rules are in your area, but in my area rescues won't allow dogs to be fostered if they are going to be outside dogs. Part of the fostering experience is preparing a dog for their future forever home which means house training and socialization. I'm not an expert by any means...this is just my personal opinion based on what I've learned from others. Fosters are needed to desparately so I hate discouraging anyone from doing it...but in this case I have to.

Mac - 4 year old GSD
Bart - 9ish year old GSD/Akita
& 3 Cats Buffy, Rusty & Magoo
Mac's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

my dog is my pet/companion and he can't be that in the yard.
you answered your own question why you're dog shouldn't be
in the yard, bob cats, moutain lions, coyotes and very, very cold
at night, very, very hot and you said "it would be cruel to leave
a dog outside".

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDLover2000 View Post
Hey all! I am new to this forum, I have been browsing for a long time and finally thought I should post! So, here goes: I am a super big animal lover, any animal is AWESOME, but I particularly LOVE german shepherds. Back in March my dad said we could talk about fostering one. I thought it was a great idea! And now it is July, 5 months later and I am still asking to foster! My dad told me to make sure everyone is fine with it and then we can talk to the queen...my mother. I asked all of my siblings, and they were totally fine with it. I told my dad and we confronted my mom. (Now she is not a big animal person, every single pet we have she coaxed into getting, except one which she got for herself then gave to my brother). She was not happy about the idea and shot me down. My dad told me he would handle, yet still has done nothing. Now ever since march we have been talking about getting a fence for our backyard(the back part of our yard isn't fenced, but has a large hill), and I thought it was because a rescue wouldn't let us foster without a fence. Turn out he would want the GSD to sleep outside. I dream of having a GSD sleeping in my bed, watching TV on the couch and she falls asleep and I cant get up, and he tells me it would be outside. He said a dog that size would get depressed living inside. Now with my constant browsing of this forum I know it isn't true. If I can get my dad on board with the dog staying inside, he can talk my mom into it. So, pretty much I want to write up a presentation of why a GSD should be inside, why it is a great dog, I just want information that will tell him how loving they are and why they would prefer to be inside dogs and get exercise everyday, than get exercise all hours of the day outside and want to be inside with their family. So, please give me Pros and Cons of a german shepherd and a ton of information of why they should be inside. I have been wanting to foster for 5 months, but have wanted one for years. Please help me out. Thanks. Also, please don't say anything rude. P.S. I forgot to mention!!

>>>>> I live in an area with coyotes, bobcats and mountain lions. I am near a lot of trails and nature, and at night they come out. Also it very very HOT where I live and very very cold at night. It would be cruel to leave a dog outside. HECK, I am scared to go outside at night<<<<<

Last edited by doggiedad; 07-14-2013 at 02:45 PM.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Dogs are social pack animals and leaving the dog outside is not fair. You have balance to your desire to have a GSD with whether you're currently in a situation where you can have one and give it a proper home. I always wanted a dog as a kid and never got one. When I got older and bought my old home I was able to fulfill my lifelong desire to have dogs...sometimes its better to wait.
ten3zro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten3zro View Post
Dogs are social pack animals and leaving the dog outside is not fair. You have balance to your desire to have a GSD with whether you're currently in a situation where you can have one and give it a proper home. I always wanted a dog as a kid and never got one. When I got older and bought my old home I was able to fulfill my lifelong desire to have dogs...sometimes its better to wait.
Ugh, sorry, typo disaster. I meant to say you have to balance your desire to have one with whether you can actually do it right.

Bought my own home, not "old"
ten3zro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Bottom line is, I can *always* take my inside GSD outside. Because he's raised and kept mainly indoors, that means he has to have better manners and clean habits than a kennel raised dog or dog kept tied out. I can always go outside all day and have him in the yard with me, but if he was raised as an outdoor dog I'd probably struggle being able to pop him back indoors and have to deal with all the things he never learned.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2013, 07:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

Well.. thanks for sharing this general information on dogs. I am also having dogs and I am having great information at this platform.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.