Help needed, dog with a court case - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help needed, dog with a court case

Last Friday I was taking the dogs out for a walk. I normally wait in front of the house for my dogs to calm down before we start the walk. Something about the start of a walk that gets them worked up. My loving neighbor approached my dogs speaking baby talk when she could clearly see how excited they already were. That wouldn't have been a problem in itself as I can handle them both even when they are super excited, that was until something else went wrong.

My husky/lab dog collar came loose from her neck when she was pulling on it. This dog has anxiety and we've been making great gains with her on this but she isn't ready to be off leash. Whenever she is off the leash the anxiety takes over and off she goes completely ignoring everything. She ran up to a woman who happened to be disabled and knocked her with her head. Didn't scratch or bite her, just hit her face in a jump because I think she leaned over as the dog was jumping. I felt terrible about the whole situation and after I managed to get my dog back under control I was asking to see what I could do for them, if anything. Her and her family didn't want anything from me beyond my name and address which I gave it to them.

I have nothing against people who need a little help to get through life so please nobody take offensive to this. This family was looking for a golden ticket and today they thought they found it. They wanted to sue me and was hoping to get a large payoff. They called the police and animal control who came by and took their statement and let them know what their options were. It wasn't turning out to be the golden ticket they were hoping for so the woman no longer felt like she needed medical assistant and instead yelled at the animal control officer and wanted my dog put down.

Finally it was my turn to talk with animal control. The officer informed me that I just happened to have a case of bad luck. She took my info. Informed that I was going to be cited for failure to control my dog and since she did knock into someone, even though she didn't bite anyone, she would be considered a dangerous dog. I felt like there wasn't a lot I could have done as if I knew the collar was going to fail me I would have brought a different one. I've been making strides to control her off leash but it is a process and when the anxiety gets added in, the process is much longer. We are in training and we do work on this.

I do not wish for this dog to be classified as dangerous so I requested a hearing against animal control. Are court date will be in 3 or 4 weeks. I don't know if any of you have any experience with this? This all could have easily been avoided if the collar would have held up. The only types of collars that go around the neck I know of are the normal buckle collar and the training collar we use to use but since she had improved so much I switched her to the buckle collar as I didn't need added force for correction. Even though I wish to do mostly positive training I'm now back to using the training collar since I feel it will have a better chance of holding up.
GSD246 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry I don't have any legal advice but what about a martingale collar? It is like a normal nylon type collar but with a loop so the dog cannot slip out of it. It will tighten, but not choke like a choke collar.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I us a martingale collar. I don't like sliding it on over the head though. I got one with a buckle.

Amazon Amazon
trcy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Get a lawyer. That's my advice. And double the collars so if one breaks there is a back up. Some people put a choke collar on with a buckle collar.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Get good recomendation letter from your vet if you can. Go through a legal test: Temperament Testing - Dog Safety - The American Dog Magazine
it should help.
Your problem is not the collar, but the fact that you are dependent on the leash. Train your dogs unleashed in some secure area, some classes while she is young, because this accident may reoccur.
David Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Get the most powerful shock collar you can find and set it on the highest setting!

And then use it on your neighbor!

Just kidding. Since the neighbor was talking in baby voices to the dog wouldn't she be at least partially responsible? Calling out to a dog and having it come to them it would seem so anyways.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Taggart View Post
Get good recomendation letter from your vet if you can. Go through a legal test: Temperament Testing - Dog Safety - The American Dog Magazine
it should help.
Your problem is not the collar, but the fact that you are dependent on the leash. Train your dogs unleashed in some secure area, some classes while she is young, because this accident may reoccur.
You know, not all of us have the advantage of being perfect, or of owning perfect dogs.

Considering what a dog is exposed to in an ATTS temperament test, an anxious dog is most likely not going to be able to pass it.

As for being "dependent on the leash", well, they come in rather handy when dealing with fearful or reactive dogs. And from what the OP said, they HAVE been working with this dog, so I can't see why you are criticizing them for lack of training.
LeoRose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

OP, I don't have any advice on the legal front.

I will say, however, that I hope a judge will use common sense and rule in your favor without the whole thing being dragged out in court battle. The neighbor approached your dogs, was making inviting utterances to the dogs... Your dog did not bite, growl or display any aggressive behaviors. Your dog was amped up and jumped up. Sorry, that does not make a dog aggressive.

Keep us posted! Given the circumstances, and the actual behaviors of your dog, I understand why you are contesting the dangerous dog classification and I truly hope you prevail!!!
LifeofRiley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Like someone said get a lawyer. You also need one because this person can file a lawsuit against you down the road. doesn't have to be now. I think for a traffic accident it's something like two years. Like in a traffic accident things can "develop". Protect your dog and yourself......
Kaos 8/6/2003-5/18/2013 Things not what they used to be. Missing one inside of me. Deathly lost this Cant be real. Cannot stand this H*ll I feel. Emptiness is filling me. To the point of agony..RIP Your paw prints burned forever into my broken heart.
Fade2Black is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Sorry I don't have any legal advice but what about a martingale collar? It is like a normal nylon type collar but with a loop so the dog cannot slip out of it. It will tighten, but not choke like a choke collar.
I've thought about using one of those. Never used one before and stores around me don't sell one. Any recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trcy View Post
I us a martingale collar. I don't like sliding it on over the head though. I got one with a buckle.

Amazon.com: Canine Equipment Technika 1-Inch Quick Release Martingale Dog Collar, X-Large, Black: Pet Supplies
Would that make it less safe by adding the buckle since I am going for added security?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Get a lawyer. That's my advice. And double the collars so if one breaks there is a back up. Some people put a choke collar on with a buckle collar.
I didn't get a lawyer but I did get some legal advice. He told me not to ever blame the dog for anything in court. Fully blame the collar and only the collar. I never even considered going with a double collar. Currently I'm using a collar/training collar combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Taggart View Post
it should help.
I know I'm dependent upon my leash with her. She has came much much further along than she was when I adopted her from the last owner. The last owner tried to return her to the shelter for a chance to find a new home and the shelter said they were going to put her down since her anxiety was too large of a problem for most people to handle. I'm not really sure how she'll do on the temperament test but I did consider getting her tested as well as the vet note. We already have our CGC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Since the neighbor was talking in baby voices to the dog wouldn't she be at least partially responsible? Calling out to a dog and having it come to them it would seem so anyways.
You'd think so but it really isn't her fault. I don't think it should have been my fault either as far as criminal charges and having a dangerous dog. I would have agreed to pay for any medical charges or damages she may have done which is why I was asking them if there was anything I could do to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoRose View Post
You know, not all of us have the advantage of being perfect, or of owning perfect dogs.

Considering what a dog is exposed to in an ATTS temperament test, an anxious dog is most likely not going to be able to pass it.

As for being "dependent on the leash", well, they come in rather handy when dealing with fearful or reactive dogs. And from what the OP said, they HAVE been working with this dog, so I can't see why you are criticizing them for lack of training.
Some of us are better trainers and can deal with even the most stubborn dogs. I had been use to dealing with aggression but anxious required a completely different approach. Everyone is telling me all I can do is keep putting more time into it. I have one dog who if she gets off leash I can get her back but both haven't made it to that point yet. Even though my shepherd can be trusted off leash I never take her off leash unless it is for agility or other sort of exercise that is to be done off leash. Otherwise we train with the long line if we can't use a contained area.
GSD246 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.