German Shepherds Forum banner

My brother in law got a pet store gsd puppy :(

6K views 45 replies 27 participants last post by  Sunflowers 
#1 ·
So my brother in law got his puppy from a pet store. He refuses to believe that is probably came from a puppy mill. Does anyone know how he could find out where the pup came from?

I really like his puppy but am worried it will have severe problems. Has anyone ever owned a pet store shepherd?

#23 ·
And sometimes they come from breeder that have "left covers" they want done with and sell to the stores for a discount. Not all come from puppy mills. Some stores actually do make sure the puppies come from good backgrounds.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
WRONG!

People who care about their dogs do not let them be sold by a clerk in a pet store. You will NEVER get a dog, EVER from someone who cares about their dogs and puppies at a pet store.

This does not mean that every dog sold at pet stores will be loaded with problems, hard to train, poor temperament. If it were so, it would make eliminating them that much easier.

Just because someone does not have 1000 dogs does not mean they are not a puppy mill. Puppy mills are the lowest of the low when it comes to breeders. They can have a couple of dogs or hundreds of dogs. They cut corners wherever they can. But the big thing is they don't care what happens to their dogs when they have served their purpose. Only this kind of breeder COULD take dogs and drop them off to be sold to anyone who has enough room left on their VISA.

#6 · (Edited)
Is he microchipped? Does your brother have his Pedigree? If not, he can contact the Pet Store and ask for the name of the breeder.

My Lab was a Pet Store puppy, healthy, beautiful with an amazing temperament. He lived with me for almost 11 years, and I couldn't have asked for a better dog. I did get the breeder info and Pedigree for him, and he was easy to track down.

#8 ·
he should have gotten some kind of registration papers / pedigree from the petstore , that would list the breeder/background of the dog.

#9 ·
oops you were posting when I was posting.

Well that info right there , looks pretty much puppymill to me:( "Smith" is a pretty generic name, could be anybody.

The reg'd dogs name are pretty generic as well..All he can do is hope he's got a healthy one..

He can also reg'd the dog with AKC ( presume it's akc, most petstores around here have ACA reg'd dogs which is an org that will register "anything" which = not good)
and pay for a 5-10 generation pedigree to see what's behind the parents.

#11 ·
I can't think of one reputable breeder that would ever allow their puppies to be sold to or from a puppy store. It's pretty safe to assume this is a puppy mill dog.

But, as mentioned, what's done is done. He's got the puppy now and it's probably just going to be a learning experience for him. Dog health insurance with hereditary coverage would be a good suggestion.

#12 · (Edited)
It doesn't necessarily have to be a puppy mill dog. I have seen people who have accidental puppies, which would be a back yard breeder, but not puppy mill bring them to the pet store. Hopefully everything turns out okay.

#13 ·
I went and checked the AKC website under the Dog Lookup...

There were no dogs listed under those names/numbers.

I even looked up my dog just to make sure I was doing everything correctly and he came back immediately.

At this point, the best you can hope for is a happy and healthy puppy. Good luck and congrats on the pup.

#14 ·
the puppy may not be akc registered, it could be a totally different registry:)

#15 ·
Or if its young, maybe the paperwork didn't make it there yet?? I imagine that GSD's go pretty quickly at pet stores. I seen two at a pet store by me and oddly enough my GSD wasn't to interested in them or the poor golden doodle that had a hernia(that I pointed out to them):(

#17 ·
Anyone think it's not a coincidence that the "registration" numbers start with GS, as in German shepherd?

#18 ·
I wondered about that...actually. Finn's number starts out with DN...not sure what the first two letters mean if anything.

#21 ·
Yeah neither of the parents have an AKC registration, and I don't believe its UKC either. If its any of the other "puppy mill registries" you'll probably never track anything down. Not only will there not be a central place to even call, but even if you do figure out a number I'm sure they won't have much information.

#22 ·
My sister bought a designer mix at a pet store (and paid a good buck) and has had him for over 5 years now. He has never had any health problems and is a very good dog. So, I think it would be unfair to label K-9s purchased thru a pet shop.

#27 · (Edited)
plenty of stores on the east coast sell puppies. especially in new york city and in new jersey. my boyfriends brother goes to three of them on a routine basis on the weekends and is dying to buy a french bulldog to walk and carry around the upper west side/riverside.

for whatever reason people believe buying a dog from a pet shop is cheaper than going to a breeder. the small dogs or toy dogs are priced anywhere between 2k-3k while the larger breeds are priced from 1k-2k.

#25 ·
Not all pet stores sell dogs from puppy mills, true. HOWEVER, every puppy that is not from a puppy mill is from a poor backyard breeder. I can't even imagine a responsible breeder selling to a pet store. Not knowing who gets their pup?

You may be able to trace it through the petstore, if it IS a local breeder (my sister-in-law "breeds" min pins and sells them to all the local pet stores :mad: ) But it is unlikely. Start training now, get a good vet, put the dog on a proper diet, and deal with the rest when it comes.

#26 ·
deal with the rest when it comes.
This may or may not happen. You really can't say it will, the dog might turn out great. If dogs from these stores didn't turn out okay, my guess is that they would be out of business, not selling more and more everyday.

#28 ·
My nephew got his Corgi from a pet shop 8 or 9 yrs ago and has never once had a health problem with him. Maybe he was lucky, but not all pups coming from there are necessarily going to be a disaster. He also has a very good temperment and is a beautiful boy.

#29 ·
my dog is now 1yo and is from a pet shop.
Every day, I get comments on how great he looks, how behaved he is, how nice his temperament is, and what a good dog he is.

Though I will admit I was ignorant on the subject, knowing what I know now, I would not do it again. The main reason being the $$$$$$$$$ **** THEY WANTED $1600 FOR HIM!!!
But since he was 4mo in a puppy shop, they dropped the price in half, but let him go for less than half. how sweet of them. And I had no choice but to take him, he had been "returned" because he didn't bark, after a single night at his new home.

He is my heart dog, for sure.

#30 · (Edited)
For all those thinking "good breeders will give to petstores" Or "dogs from petstores are just as good as breeders".. or "well, mine turned out perfect, so why not?"

Well.. you're more then welcome to come visit with Zira for a week, and we'll see where that opinion goes.

Not trying to "scare" the OP or anyone reading, but wanting to clarify that getting a dog from a petstore is not a good option, and if it's already done.... I would definitely keep an eye out for any health issues and temperament changes. I would also suggest hip/elbow xrays at 1-2yrs. Be aware of what you are up against before it turns into a problem.

Zira was rescued from a petstore back in 2011 (a week after Easter). And yes, she was rescued. We did not BUY her... we rescued her. Meaning we had police involved, a lawyer, better business bureau, AKC, etc. She was skin and bones, dead lame on her front leg... they had NO vet records or ANY plans on taking care of her leg (didn't even know what was wrong... tried to play it off as "oh she must have played too hard"), she had diarrhea, was on the wrong type of food for a growing GSD, and she was absolutely pathetic.

Anyway, to make a long story short.... this dog has allergies up the wazoo, skin issues, SIBO, HD, possible elbow problems, she had problems with her reproductive system (had to get her spayed mid heat cycle because the issues were so bad)...... and that's just the health issues we've discovered so far... seems like we add a few more each year. However, those we can work with.... good diet, medication, supplements, eventually surgery... The worst part is her nerves/temperament. She's mental. The dog has more fears then I've ever seen in an animal. The worst ones are water, and the sun (yes... the sun... the thing in the sky that is there every single darn day.... And no she has no eye issues... we've tested a million times) It started with the "fence monster" which lasted a few months.. then went to the sun. When she was younger... she would literally make herself pass out because we were trying to bathe her. We had to get professional help to get us to where we are now. It took me 1 year to be able to bathe the dog by myself. She still shakes, and cries, and throws mild fits here and there during the bath... but I'm able to tie her to the post and handle her myself now. She has terrible nerves.... she runs around my house doing the fearful crawl, shaking, barking and growing.... at nothing! She barks at random small noises of nature... that happen ALL day and night! If it's windy.... oh lord help us! We wont hear the end of it. She panics easily and at that point, she's impossible to handle. She's always stressed, always freaking out over something. She literally can't sit for 2 seconds before something else has her pacing the house. She doesn't have an off switch.... if she's out in the house, you will barely EVER see her laying down. She stresses my other dogs out because she just doesn't stop. I work her, I exercise her.... it doesn't help. She obsesses over everything. We've had Duke for over a year now... she STILL reacts to him like a normal dog would to a new dog. She wont leave him alone.... at all! He puts up with it, but it stresses him out and he ends up running and hiding under me. We were told "oh she'll get used to it.. it's just the new dog syndrome"... nope. It isn't. Over a year later... we're still trying to get her to leave him be. He'll play for 20 or so minutes, but then want to lay down... or follow us. She just doesn't leave it be. If she's not obsessing over him.... she's chewing on her bone.... which, if we let her (we don't), she will do the entire day even after she's caused damage and bleeding gums. She's quick to fall into that obsessive mode.

Her memory seems to be very off. You can correct her for something.... she'll stop.... sit for 5 seconds... go back and do it again. You correct her again.... she'll stop... 5 seconds later... again... and again.. and again. It's like having an 8 week old... but worse.. and for the life of the dog. I can't train her because she forgets.... literally... it's no longer there. She's only retained stuff we taught her as a small pup (sit, down, stay, come, leave it, and leash training). The vet can't find anything medically wrong there... it's just... Her.

She's starting to become DA. Which, is not due to lack of socialization. She was highly socialized has a pup and through out her life. She used to get along with everyone. Now, there are certain dogs she will pick fights with. I can't trust her anymore. She flips so quick with things... it's like a light switch. She's completely mental.

There are many other things... but, I think this is enough to say... Be careful when you promote petstores as an "ok" place to get a puppy. For those that have dogs from them and they are stable: GREAT! I'm glad you got lucky... However, the dog next to yours may not have been so lucky. Zira was supposed to be PTS according to 5 different vets at 5-7 months old. I fought it, and continued on. She is a happy dog for the most part... but boy do we have some bad days. Remember when you support this practice... you are supporting puppy mills... and in turn... dogs that have to either lose their life, or suffer with all these issues.

To the OP: You're BIL already has the dog... so there's nothing he can do there. But, he should understand what he should look out for. Many issues, if caught early, can be worked with (either medically, or mentally). We didn't know the full extent of what we were getting into... if we did, I'm sure I would have used some other methods, or medical plans. I'm NOT saying his dog is going to be the same as Zira... not all are... But, he should also be aware that next time he needs be careful where his money supports. I truly hope he's a lucky one and the dog turns out 100% normal.

(Just an FYI: If money is the reason, which is what I hear often... Most of the time these petstores are selling at an even higher price then the best breeders out there. Not only do you spend a lot... but you also get WAY to many chances for huge problems.)

For a well bred dog: $1250-2500....... Zira's first year (JUST medical bills): $6000.

#31 ·
Yes, my husbands family had 2 pet store shepherds. The last one lived happy and healthy 13 years and would of lived longer, but he had a fall injury and eventually his hip was giving out on him and he could not walk. But this was not genetic, it was from an injury and he was was much older to fully recover from it. He was a great dog and we really miss him. You really can't predict if there will be problems or not, but who knows, maybe he will be better than a pup from a breeder =) glad that he will have a good home!

#32 · (Edited)
So my brother in law got his puppy from a pet store. He refuses to believe that is probably came from a puppy mill. Does anyone know how he could find out where the pup came from?
OP- to directly answer your question about if it's possible to track a pet store puppy back to a puppy mill or not: YES.

I did it with my girl. See here: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/bloodlines-pedigrees/156223-tracing-pet-store-pup.html

I really like his puppy but am worried it will have severe problems. Has anyone ever owned a pet store shepherd?
For the record, my girl is a model GSD. Other than having [very easily managed] Atypical Addison's Disease, she has been generally healthy and has OFA good hips. She's EASY to live with, exceptionally good at agility and continues to earn not just titles and points, but rave compliments from people who watch us run and from EVERY SINGLE JUDGE we've competed under so far. She's titled in dock diving with a best jump of 13'10" and has shown basic instinct in herding. She's an amazing dog and I've been very lucky. No, not every pet store GSD is a nerve bag, unhealthy, unstable dog.

#34 ·
Simply put, if you buy a puppy from a pet store you are supporting puppy mills - end of story. Doesn't matter if the dog turns out to be the best thing ever - you are still supporting bad breeding.

It is SO discouraging to read posts that say "well, I got my dog from a pet store and he's just the best...." - we need to STOP puppy mills and END bad breeding - not encourage it!! If you care about the breed you will support those breeders that are doing everything in their power to breed responsibly, ethically and with the good of the breed foremost in their minds.

Get your dog from a reputable rescue organization or a responsible breeder - Pet Stores are never an alternative to these.

#35 · (Edited)
It should be ENcouraging to read "well, I got my dog from a pet store and he's just the best..." At least not every dog coming out of a puppy mill is an unhealthy, unremarkable dog as "reputable" breeders would like us all to think. Am I pro puppy mills- absolutely not. But I won't hold the elitist position that the only possible way to get a great dog is by supporting a breeder with a link to their kennel in their signature.

Not all of us were aware of super awesome breeders who link to their kennel in their signature on a dog forum :rolleyes: -let along were we aware of a DOG forum in the first place- when we got our dogs. I'm proud as **** to say that my pet store dog is HEALTHY, TITLED, and living a life probably more fulfilling than some dogs from "reputable" breeders are. And I won't for a second be made to feel guilty for my purchase. Not everyone has all the knowledge needed when making their buying decisions. And certainly not everyone was raised in a way to even be aware of such buying options.

So how about instead of bashing those of us who made "poor" buying decisions by "supporting" puppy mills, you simply just stay on topic with what the OP asked-- which is how to track a pet store dog, and experiences with living with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.