Did I do wrong? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Did I do wrong?

Today i was at my sister in law´s place with maya. She has a pinscher mix, and since smal maya and him played around, even last week.
Today I was throwing an empty platic bottle for maya to chase, and bob ( the pinscher) joined in, but at one moment he grabbed the bottle for himself and when maya went to take it he growled, she did stop going for the bottle but she didn´t back away, he then started to bark at her.. she just stared at him, then he attacked her and she fought back, I separated the two and while holding maya shouted at my sister in law´s doughter ( who encourages bob to growl and bark at maya) to take her dog before he got hurt because i would not lose a finger separating. She tied bob up and I tied maya up and then told her to free her dog.
She and her sister are now mad at me..
I get that it´s their house, but their dog is not at all nice, he chases us sometimes growling and barking. We never minded because he´s so small.. I couldn´t care less about Maya, I was worried about bob because he´s so much smaller and she could easily kill him..
My bf then came to me saying i scoulded her, but I didn´t see it that way.. Maybe to everyone else it did..
Did i do wrong? and how else could I have handled that situation?
Lalaland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm not sure what to tell you. It sounds like your dog was just defending herself. Smaller dogs tend to get cocky because most bigger dogs who are not really aggresive just shrug and walk away so the smaller dog thinks they have won. To keep the peace with family, I would say don't let them play together any more. It sounds like that with the smaller dogs mindset, it will only get worse. I don't think you acted bad but if you want peace in the family, just say sorry and keep them apart. Just my opinion. Little things can tear families apart. It happened in mine.
Nikitta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Yea. I agree with u. My bf and I talked when we got home, and I told him i won´t take Maya there anymore. But I won´t apologise for it. Noone got hurt, and they weren´t so nice the rest of the day either.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

They'll ( your family) get over it. Just keep the dogs away from each other. I really makes me mad when these people with smaller dogs let them act out. I took Jasira to the dogpark one day and this lady had 2 minpins there. I never just let my dogs go with strange dogs. I brought Jasira, my year old female GSD, in on a leash and asked," Are your dogs friendly?" She goes," Oh yes. They like big dogs." Well, one of her "friendly" dogs was doing growling, snarling lunges at Jas the minute she walked in. She would flinch every time the little "thing" would charge her. I said," I'm leaving. I don't want my dogs to learn how to fight." The women goes," No. I'll go. They are usually good with bigger dogs." Ya, right lady. Like it was Jas' fault her dog was acting out. And guess who would get the blame if Jas defended herself? The big, bad, mean,German Shepherd. Some people need to be smacked up along side the head, HARD.

Last edited by Nikitta; 02-20-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Nikitta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Ugh I know! I get really frustrated.
When I walk her, maya gets barked at so many times by small little things that the owners think is OK to let lose just because their small. And this particular dog has been annoying me for some time, If you look at him he starts to growl, and when my sister in law´s daughter usually do is say: ´get em bob´ so the dog goes ballistic wanting to snap at whoever she said that to. I let it slide before because it caused no fights, no one got bitten and because it´s not my place to train other people´s dogs. But this time I got really mad because someone could have gotten hurt, even the dog, and even though he´s a stressed little thing, it´s not actually his fault -,-
Old 02-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't think you were wrong, but I wouldn't go back there either. You did after all keep their dog from dying. I would also suggest that you are careful with your dog around small dogs going forward.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I disagree with allowing your dog be an excuse to stop visiting family. Just don't take your dog. Life is too short to let petty arguments wreck relationships. You and she do not raise your dogs the same way, they think it is funny to see a smaller dog bark and growl at a larger dog. I don't want my dog attacking any dog, whether in self-defense or not. I avoid such situations. This is just one of those places like WalMart where the dog doesn't need to go.

It IS their home, and if your dog and her dog no longer play nicely all the time, then respect that, and go without the dog.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I disagree with allowing your dog be an excuse to stop visiting family. Just don't take your dog. Life is too short to let petty arguments wreck relationships. You and she do not raise your dogs the same way, they think it is funny to see a smaller dog bark and growl at a larger dog. I don't want my dog attacking any dog, whether in self-defense or not. I avoid such situations. This is just one of those places like WalMart where the dog doesn't need to go.

It IS their home, and if your dog and her dog no longer play nicely all the time, then respect that, and go without the dog.
I agree with this, I meant to say not to go back with the dog, but my internet decided to search for a signal
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

You did nothing wrong. Don't go back there with you dog or let them come over with theirs.....

Little dogs are the worst. Lucky with my Kaos the other dog has always been on a leash and just yapped at him......

My last German Shepherd Genesis was attacked 3 times by different small dogs off their leash. One time I had moved into my brothers house for a month while mine was being built. I would walk him down the street to a wooded area with trails. A miniature pinscher type dog would run lose on the street. Usually he just ran up barked then would back off. One time he ran up so fast went to bite Genesis. I pulled his leash it happened so fast. That dog was in my dogs mouth being swung around. I got him free and the dog ran yelling but he wasn't hurt bad. But he got bit. I look up and see a lady. I think here it comes. Its the dogs owner ready to blame my GSD for something that wasn't his fault. Then she thanked me a couple times and said she was glad my dog did that. She said that dog runs loose all the time. The owner refuse to keep him penned up. That she wished my GSD had killed him and all the neighbors hate that dog. He has went after their dogs. I said I don't want my dog hurting any dog. But I wont let him not defend himself and get bit. I think that dog learned the hard way. Next day he's still running lose. I saw him took all the slack out of the leash and held Genesis. But the other dog just barked one time from a distance then just ran the other way from the street on to the owners front porch...
Kaos 8/6/2003-5/18/2013 Things not what they used to be. Missing one inside of me. Deathly lost this Cant be real. Cannot stand this H*ll I feel. Emptiness is filling me. To the point of agony..RIP Your paw prints burned forever into my broken heart.
Fade2Black is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

I´m still going to go there, I just said i won´t take maya with me, it just frustrates me how people think. I don´t see the ´cute´or the ´funny´in any dog being annoying and not knowing how to behave. And I don´t like seeing Maya attack anyone, she´s friendly and just wants to play, but if she´s defending herself then i won´t get mad at her and i definately won´t take people giving me attitude for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.