My GSD is Listed on Home Owners Restriction List? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #31 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
I killed my relationship with State Farm when they knocked everyone in coastal FL of of their insurance (my parents lived in a concrete FL house, near the coast, 30 years, no claims...pooof....no more insurance....hurricanes)

That said, Travelers is also good where I am (SC)
Farmers did the same thing to us years ago. Years of loyalty, car, home, boat, horse trailer, flat beds..no claims. But they picked us to death. Had to trim trees, replace face boards, install hurricane straps, clear fence lines, run new lines to our grease trap...etc. When it was all said and done they dropped us. Found out (on the news) they were dropping everyone on the Gulf Coast. I'd have no insurance before I'd go back to them.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #32 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1270 View Post
I can understand Pit Bulls being on this list and even Rotti's but why Shepherds? Does anyone else have this issue going on with their current insurance company and if so, how did you handle it?
Its a slippery slope. Either allow all breeds or accept eventually we will be allowed none. The solution isn't restrictions, it is holding the owner accountable
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #33 (permalink)
Mog

I honestly never thought about the home owners insurance aspect of getting a pup. I've been researching it the past couple of days and just got off the phone with my insurance agent, who called the underwriter and informed me that GSD's are fine with my company, which is Erie. Erie gave me great prices for the coverage I received on both my home and auto when I switched over to them almost 4 years ago. I priced shopped and no one else could come close to their prices/coverage at the time.

In my research, there was one thing that someone mentioned and I wanted to pass it a long as I think it's something everyone should look into/consider. My personal liability insurance was at 300k. I just raised it up to 1 million and it was an additional $18 a year... with all the sue happy folks out there and now having a new pup, that $18 a year is money well spent for the additional coverage.

Maximus - Male Sable - Born 1/30/2013
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #34 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
In my research, there was one thing that someone mentioned and I wanted to pass it a long as I think it's something everyone should look into/consider. My personal liability insurance was at 300k. I just raised it up to 1 million and it was an additional $18 a year... with all the sue happy folks out there and now having a new pup, that $18 a year is money well spent for the additional coverage.
When we got USAA, the woman on the other end of the phone recommended that to us because of Finn. I hadn't thought about that before either. We went with the higher homeowners' policy because of my (almost) irrational fear of someone breaking in, Finn biting them, and us being sued for the damages.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #35 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Same here with USAA. We also have an umbrella policy for our protection from sue happy idiots and not just due to the dogs. How about the guy that trips on your sidewalk etc?

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC (1/03)
UAG1,UNC1,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V. TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH (6/07)
UAG1,URO1 Tidmore's Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,NA,RN,HT,CGC, (4/12)

Lucky, Wolf, Max
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #36 (permalink)

Breed bans are becoming more popular. As are breed restrictions - &, if you're paying an extra fee for owning a GSD, that's a restriction. I also won't do business with companies that have said bans & restrictions. When we were looking to adopt Ziva 2 years ago, I called our agent (State Farm). There were no restrictions at that time, nor did he anticipate any. So we got our garbanzo-butt.

Between being a vet tech & just being around lots of dogs, I've been bitten & snapped at a lot. NEVER with a Pittie, or Rott, or GSD. But dachshounds, poodles & blond cockers-Yes. In my exprience, the barking slipper-types are far more apt to bite. And our mailman agrees with me.

I disagree with the OP, where it is stated that banning a breed like the Pit is 'understandable'. It's a slippery slope - once they get away with banning 1 breed, they'll work their way thru a whole list. Next thing you know, hamsters will be banned...
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivers mama View Post
Breed bans are becoming more popular. As are breed restrictions - &, if you're paying an extra fee for owning a GSD, that's a restriction. I also won't do business with companies that have said bans & restrictions. When we were looking to adopt Ziva 2 years ago, I called our agent (State Farm). There were no restrictions at that time, nor did he anticipate any. So we got our garbanzo-butt.

Between being a vet tech & just being around lots of dogs, I've been bitten & snapped at a lot. NEVER with a Pittie, or Rott, or GSD. But dachshounds, poodles & blond cockers-Yes. In my exprience, the barking slipper-types are far more apt to bite. And our mailman agrees with me.

I disagree with the OP, where it is stated that banning a breed like the Pit is 'understandable'. It's a slippery slope - once they get away with banning 1 breed, they'll work their way thru a whole list. Next thing you know, hamsters will be banned...
I do sincerely apologize to anyone who took my original post the wrong way, I obviously worded it wrong. In this day and age, forum writing and email can be so easily taken the wrong way, people have to be very careful with the way they project their words, as to not offend anyone.

It's not that I understand why Pit Bulls are on the restrictions list, but due to all of the negative press that the Pit Bull receives on a constant basis, I can understand that the insurance companies are placing them on this list. I owned one, and I loved her dearly. My GSD Tess often plays with one of our neighbors Pit Bulls. I do not think that they should be on the list, nor do I think that any other dog should be on the list.

There is way too much negativity surrounding this breed, I do not think it's fair at all and this is the only reason I made this statement, am I making myself clearer? I'm not sure how else to explain it. I was told that in the state of Ohio, it's against the law to insure any Pit Bulls, I do hope I am wrong about this, maybe someone from this state can educate me on this.

Otherwise, I came here looking for advice and help and have received some great advice, this has turned out to be a very informative post.
Linda1270 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #38 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1270 View Post
I just found this out when I was getting some price quotes on Home Owners Insurance for my house and car. I had no idea that German Shepherds are on the restriction lists of a lot of different insurance companies. I have not renewed my policy yet and am not due to do this until July. There must be some insurance companies out there that will allow you to own a GSD. After all, my girl as been through obedience training and still sees her trainer, along with me working with her every day. I also am in the process of having a fence built around my entire backyard. So far it's around 3 sides and as soon as the ground thaws out, we will be putting it around the rest of our yard.

I can understand Pit Bulls being on this list and even Rotti's but why Shepherds? Does anyone else have this issue going on with their current insurance company and if so, how did you handle it?

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #39 (permalink)

We have State Farm. When we called them and asked about breed restrictions they said they had a list of breeds that, if owned, would require an agent to come to your house and eval your dog and your ability to control them.

Now THAT makes sense to me!
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) – Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #40 (permalink)
Mog

I agree 100%... much better than making a broad restriction on a breed sight unseen.

Maximus - Male Sable - Born 1/30/2013
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.