Going on vacation...Stella may not have a place to stay! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Going on vacation...Stella may not have a place to stay!

My family is going on vacation in a few weeks. Boarding was all set-Ruben, our DA newfie mix stays home with a dog sitter coming in 2x a day. Been doing this for years with him. Stella was set for staying at doggie daycare. She has been there for half days, overnights, and a weeklong stay in the past. Last week she went for a half day and when I picked her up I was told she was aggressive with dogs she didn't know. They had to separate her several times. Now I am not sure what to do. They haven't said she can't stay there yet, but I don't know what to do if that happens....And even if she can stay there, I am concerned. I want to be able to go away and know my dogs are happy and safe. I am already a bit anxious having her stay away from me and home for about 10 days... But I was ok with it knowing she had been there before and has had fun in the past. I will talk to the owner tomorrow and see what she says. But what are my other alternatives???

I am thinking that last week was not just a bad day.... today on a walk she saw one of her doggie friends. They played fine. Stella was soooooo happy to see her. But doggie friend has another doggie now. (7 months old) Stella was not playing very nice with the puppy. So I am not encouraged that she will be ok with dogs she doesn't know. (although actually she met that puppy once before a long time ago)

Is this part of her reactivity issue or maybe she is just getting mature ( 20 months) and doesn't want to play with strange dogs? This was NEVER an issue at the doggie daycare....

Stella-GSD 6/17/11
Ruben-Newfie/? mix 7/2003
katdog5911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

GSD's really aren't cut out to be social dogs that love all others. I can imagine how many do get kicked out of daycare once they reach maturity. I know the day care providers are busy, but you'd almost think they'd work with dogs that begin to show DA and manage the situations somewhat to work the dog through it. If it still isn't working then expulsion or just keeping certain dogs together would be a sensible solution.
I truly believe very few GSD's get on well with strange dogs after maturity/ they can be neutral of course, and not reactive, but to ask them to interact or play is just not what I'd expect. Their play style is really different than most breeds and most dogs(and people) take their growling as aggression not play...my dogs always growl while playing, but they understand the meaning.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Stella is very growly when playing. But today didn't seem like playing. And at the daycare....not playing either I guess. But what do I do about vacation and boarding? If the owners are still willing to take her, do I let her go there? Or is it better for her to be at home but basically crated all day and night...the exception being when the sitter gets here and interacts for about 15 minutes. Just don't know what to do!

Stella-GSD 6/17/11
Old 02-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Is there anyone at the daycare that is part time, willing to maybe take her(as she'd know this person) or some similar scenario? Do you trust the daycare to handle a fight if that happens?
I'd start looking at other options and no longer take her to daycare. You may end up paying vet bills from the interactions/altercations.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

There is one person there that has shepherds and seems more familiar with them. I will talk to her and the owner tomorrow.

They seem to have room to separate dogs if necessary. And she does have quite a few dogs that she loves to play with there. Maybe they can keep her somewhere separate with the dogs that she knows....

I also emailed one of her trainers to see what she might suggest. Another option might be for her to board with the local GSD breeder where she has had some training classes. But I think he is expensive and I think she is scared of him. Although he says she is fine with him. Not sure which is better....

Stella-GSD 6/17/11

Last edited by katdog5911; 02-10-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

find a place that you can board but they'll keep her away
from other dogs. find a 2nd sitter to come in so your dogs
won't be left alone for so long.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I am pretty sure I can find a place to board her where she won't be with other dogs. I am just not sure how she will do. She has only boarded at the doggie day care. I can have the sitter come more often but that will still not be enough exercise and interaction for Stella. My old guy is very happy to just lay around the house all day. I guess I will have to talk to the day care. I am hoping they can come up with a plan for Stella. I know they have this HUGE Great Dane that goes there. He is so big that he can't really play with the other dogs. He stays in a separate room and if there is another dog for him to play with, they monitor the 2 of them. I just hate to think that Stella will be alone all day.....

Stella-GSD 6/17/11
Old 02-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If she's becoming unpredictable I think it would be safer for all parties if she is either closely monitored or isolated from the other dogs. She might be better with a one on one supervised playdate once or twice a day rather then being in a group where they can't be supervised as closely. I would sit down and talk to the centre's trainer or owner and work out a plan with them

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katdog5911 View Post
I am pretty sure I can find a place to board her where she won't be with other dogs. I am just not sure how she will do. She has only boarded at the doggie day care. I can have the sitter come more often but that will still not be enough exercise and interaction for Stella. My old guy is very happy to just lay around the house all day. I guess I will have to talk to the day care. I am hoping they can come up with a plan for Stella. I know they have this HUGE Great Dane that goes there. He is so big that he can't really play with the other dogs. He stays in a separate room and if there is another dog for him to play with, they monitor the 2 of them. I just hate to think that Stella will be alone all day.....
Hey I seen a commercial today and I thought of you. Check out..care.com. Its a website that offers services for kid sitting, dog sitting, etc.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I thought I had read on another thread that you took a class with Leslie at Tails U Win. If it's Leslie Nelson she owns Shagg Bark Kennel in Tolland. They have a policy of only accepting certain dogs, usually well socialized ones. If she's met your dog she'd be able to let you know if yours would be a good fit.
It's a nice kennel. Small but well kept. Nice play yards for the dogs. It's worth a shot. index Page 1 of 12
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.