Tie out "warning this can happen" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Tie out "warning this can happen"

I have seen dogs tied with those wire ties and it can hurt a dog real bad, they get their legs tangled, hung, etc. If I chain a dog up out side I use a link chain, my one dog would shread a fence and when I can't get out with him I chain him up (link chain) .
If you have a runner, a wire tie might work if the dog can not get wrapped up in it. I am telling you this because this morning I looked out my back door to see someones dog in my yard tangled around a tree with a wire tie on it and it almost strangled, I let it loose and sent it home but I have seen dogs wrapped up in those wire tie outs.
Gota get to work now fast lol
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

i never tie my dog to anything except a leed, and i am on the other end.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Good information, Harmony!
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
Same here.

I don't approve of tying any dog out, supervised or not, unless she's tied to me.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
Oh you mean lead right, or leach, not sure?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Chains can cause serious injury as well. A shelter I volunteer with recently took in a dog with severe neck and leg injuries from becoming entangled in a chain tie-out, not a wire one. Basically, anything that is strong enough not to be chewed through in one bite can cause serious injury, and really even the softest cotton rope can cause death if the dog becomes tangled in it the wrong way.

Also, it doesn't matter what the tie-out is made from when it comes to strangulation. If the dog can't break it by pulling on it, then the dog can be strangled by it.

I don't have a problem with tie-outs for limited times, but dogs should never be left alone for long time periods on them. If it's just a matter of putting the dog out to relieve himself, that's fine. But tie-outs of any sort are very dangerous, especially if the dog is being left unsupervised for long times. There's just no reliably safe way to do it.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

I tie my dog outside to use the bathroom. I always check on him very frequently, but he's never out there for long at my house. But when he's at my fiances house, we used to use some car thing that we stuck in the ground and tie him to that. It impossible almost impossible for him to strangle himself. Now we just watch him when he's outside there. He's a deer chaser.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus View Post
I tie my dog outside to use the bathroom. I always check on him very frequently, but he's never out there for long at my house. But when he's at my fiances house, we used to use some car thing that we stuck in the ground and tie him to that. It impossible almost impossible for him to strangle himself. Now we just watch him when he's outside there. He's a deer chaser.
The rescue I volunteer with has a specific focus on dogs who are kept on chains/tie-outs, so I've seen probably an above-average number of injuries from this particular thing. It isn't just a danger of your dog getting tangled around something, although that is usually what is involved in strangulation cases. I've seen legs degloved (if you don't know what that means, you might not want to Google it...) and even broken just because their wire or chain tie got wrapped around a leg and the dog fought it, which doesn't need any obstacles to get wrapped around or anything--just a happy dog rolling in the grass or chasing his tail. There's really no safe way to do it IMO.

Again, I think the risk is minimal if it is just a short bathroom break, but dogs should never be left out on chains for longer periods of time without someone right there supervising them or checking on them very frequently.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!

Last edited by RowdyDogs; 02-05-2013 at 09:19 PM.
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyDogs View Post
Chains can cause serious injury as well. A shelter I volunteer with recently took in a dog with severe neck and leg injuries from becoming entangled in a chain tie-out, not a wire one. Basically, anything that is strong enough not to be chewed through in one bite can cause serious injury, and really even the softest cotton rope can cause death if the dog becomes tangled in it the wrong way.

Also, it doesn't matter what the tie-out is made from when it comes to strangulation. If the dog can't break it by pulling on it, then the dog can be strangled by it.

I don't have a problem with tie-outs for limited times, but dogs should never be left alone for long time periods on them. If it's just a matter of putting the dog out to relieve himself, that's fine. But tie-outs of any sort are very dangerous, especially if the dog is being left unsupervised for long times. There's just no reliably safe way to do it.
You are right, but yes there is! Lets break this down , wire tie with a plastic coat will kill a dog fast or dismember them.
then putting one out on a chain for a few hours will not, unless you have a choke collar on it, it might.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyDogs View Post
The rescue I volunteer with has a specific focus on dogs who are kept on chains/tie-outs, so I've seen probably an above-average number of injuries from this particular thing. It isn't just a danger of your dog getting tangled around something, although that is usually what is involved in strangulation cases. I've seen legs degloved (if you don't know what that means, you might not want to Google it...) and even broken just because their wire or chain tie got wrapped around a leg and the dog fought it, which doesn't need any obstacles to get wrapped around or anything. There's really no safe way to do it IMO.

Again, I think the risk is minimal if it is just a short bathroom break, but dogs should never be left out on chains for longer periods of time without someone right there supervising them.
I don't keep my dog on a tie out. I keep him on the couch lol. But when the weather is perfect for him I'll leave him outside longer than 5-10 minutes that way. I always check up on my dog, maybe not like I do at my new house, but he's always just a look away from me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.