German Shepherds Forum banner

The big scarry next step

659 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Jag 
#1 ·
I think it's about time to let my 7 1/2 Mo. old out of the crate at night. She's become a real sweetheart about leaving my stuff alone & just playing with her stuff. No chewing on furniture or climbing on the couch. Two things scare me though. One is that if I put a blanket or pad in her crate she shreads it, so what will happen if I'm not there to say, NO! The second is that I have some expensive stereo equipment that if she ruined, I'd have her hide on the wall for. I'm thinking to start in steps, like keep her uncrated in my bedroom at first & go from there. Any advise or stories related to this leap of faith?

#2 ·
I started letting Bear out of his crate at night by the time he was 6 months old. I first started with the nighttime being uncrated and then gradually let him stay out of his crate for short periods of time during the day. It helped that my DH is primarily at home with him all day and we could do this in half hour to hour increments.
I think it depends on your pup, it sounds like your pup is pretty reliable. I felt the same way with mine and that is why I felt comfortable leaving him.
Bear is now 15 months old and so far we have left him for up to 3 hours by himself.
Good luck, the first step is always the hardest :)

#3 ·
can you block her off in your room at nite?? Get a babygate, they are a wonderful thing:)

#4 ·
Do you NEED to let her loose at night? My two dogs are both nearly four years old and they both still sleep in crates at night in our bedroom. That way I know immediately if one of them is sick, or needs to go potty. They don't try to wake us up early. I never have to worry about what they are doing in the middle of the night and I always know exactly where they are.

#5 ·
My pup is about the same age. No way is he ready. He still gets into everything and anything if not watched. I'd start out very slow. Also, if the pup does chew up your expensive stereo equipment, please put your own hide on the wall... because a pup will get into things, and when they do.. it's our fault.

#6 ·
I don't know if there is a need to let her out or not. I just thought she would probably be more comfortable having access to the house at night. Thought this was the norm? I'm Ret. so I let her out of the crate in the morning at present and she usually spends most of the day out, unless I go somewhere.

#7 ·
I'd start with just the bedroom, then work from there.

If you're concerned about the stereo system then I would keep that sectioned off at all times. It's not their fault if they get into things that we allow them to, they're not human ;)

#9 ·
That depends. My boy LOVES his kennel! I think he'd be kind of lost without it. He doesn't sleep unless he's in there. So, no, not all are more comfortable out of it. At some point, I want to leave his door open at least... because he can't protect the house locked in a kennel. However, he's a pup. It's not his time anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.