Anyone have experience with labs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Anyone have experience with labs?

I've always had shepherds.... We have had one or two other big dogs mixed in but they have always been very shepherd like. Big, pushy, demanding, dramatic. Now I've somehow wound up with two sweet little lab mixes and I'd like to know more about them. They are so different from my shepherds. What should I expect, are there illnesses that are lab specific I need to watch for? Are there any forums like this one only specific to labs?
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Our vet says Labs are people pleasers and live to please their person. She's got a gorgeous Yellow Lab I'd steal in a heartbeat, and if all Labs are like him, they are awesome.
We've fostered a number of Labradors, and Yellow Labs never stay more than a day or three in our rescue. They are very popular dogs.
ETA: hip dysplasia is quite common in the breed.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My lab Daisy is the only one I had experience with and from what I gather, she was not the " norm". She actually reminds me of my female gsds, confident, aloof and protective of the kids. She was not as Velcro as they are, content to lay in her favorite spot and not follow me around the house like the girls do. She was very healthy most of her life, but after swimming or running through fields, she would pick stuff up and get an occasional ear infection. She lived to be 14.5 years and finally lost her battle with hermangiosarcoma last September.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

They have the same kind of worries as GSD's, hips/elbows. Being they're mixes that probably a crap shoot. Stay on top of cleaning their ears as ear infections with them can last a looooong time. Though some dogs beat them better than others. I never found a lab forum as active as this place.

They love to fetch.
skew12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
I've always had shepherds.... We have had one or two other big dogs mixed in but they have always been very shepherd like. Big, pushy, demanding, dramatic. Now I've somehow wound up with two sweet little lab mixes and I'd like to know more about them. They are so different from my shepherds. What should I expect, are there illnesses that are lab specific I need to watch for? Are there any forums like this one only specific to labs?
I've had a couple lab mixes and more recently a pure bred black lab. They can be very destructive and head strong, but when trained correctly, great dogs. They can be runners and they like to "wander". I heard some stories about mine in his younger days before his training. I had one that ate a hole in a brand new queen size mattress and ate my cable wires right in half while I was in the middle of the OJ Simpson case. The purebred had cancer in the brain and his previous owner put lots of money into him. When we got him he literally had a half of a brain. He was a wonderful dog, but the cancer came back and I didn't have the heart to prolong his suffering.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My experience with labradors, albeit quantity 2 (mine and my brother's) is completely different than llombardo's.

Mine was yellow and the awesomest dog ever. He never chewed a thing--we buried him at the age of 12.5 with the teddy bear the breeder gave him the day he was whelped. He was rock frickin solid, stable, confident and quite defensive in the most appropriate way and that dog never needed a leash, fence or even a collar. We never had a fenced yard the entire 12+ years.

Just last night we were watching old home videos DH is capturing from the tapes to the computer, and I was teaching my dtr, then about 5 to ride a bike. We were in the street at a corner (of a dead end alley, and no traffic) and I told the lab to sit and stay. So I'm filming, we run down the sidewalk, she's starting to go, I'm yelling good job and we finally stop. I'm congratulating her, etc, and suddenly the camera whips around to behind me, and there sits the faithful lab, still waiting for a release command. (There were lots more episodes of things like this on the videos) My kids' friends were so amazed--I said to them "This, this is what you strive for in dog training". But I really think it was just him.

I miss him every day still.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Keep the ears clean, for some reason they get ear infections. They love to be loved. Usually they live alot longer then gsd's too. Keep them vet checked and love them. They love to run and chase too. They are very active family dogs, and get along well with children and other animals. This black lab in this picture is 16 years old, and was one of our black lab,s "max" daughters. Her name is Tabitha.

Last edited by Loneforce; 01-12-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDog View Post
My experience with labradors, albeit quantity 2 (mine and my brother's) is completely different than llombardo's.
The chewer was mixed with dalmatian, if that makes a difference. My pure bred lab was awesome, I wish I had him when he was younger. I've attached some pictures of him...the little girl in the picture was terrified of dogs, he changed that(sadly she was murdered by her grandfather)...he was wonderful with my golden when he was a puppy, he took him under his wing..and the one outside was shortly before he died, you can see the tumor

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...attach/jpg.gif
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone have experience with labs?-dsc_0547.jpg   Anyone have experience with labs?-s5033884.jpg   Anyone have experience with labs?-s5034047.jpg  
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I've had two black Labs, they were both wonderful dogs. Amazing with my children and easy to train. I've read on here about couch potato labs, mine were not. They lived to play with the kids and loved to fetch. We lived 3 houses from the schools practice fields, we would play a form of softball with our 3 daughters, Toby would be the outfielder and bring in the long balls to the pitcher. That is until she was tired, then she would just head for home and take the ball with her. Game over..love and miss her for all time.
ksotto333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thanks for the responses everyone...

We've only had wiggles for just a few days and already I see how much like Ivan she is. Very soft mouth. No accidental crunches to fingers in fact both seem to rather want to hold my hand or even suck on it rather than bite down. Both are little sweethearts. Just want to crawl into my lap and cuddle. It's awesome! I guess they are getting enough exercise with my GSD playing schedule because they both come inside and lay right down by the fire. Ivan does like to dig, but so far since we've had wiggles there have been no more dig spots. I'm kind of dreading the day that they get bored and decide to dig together on something. I will keep an eye on the ears... My Buddy (GSD) has had ear problems since day one so if ear problems do arise hopefully I will be prepared.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.