German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Doesn't know how to play! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/208378-doesnt-know-how-play.html)

zivagirl 01-22-2013 10:15 PM

Doesn't know how to play!

Bethsheba is an 11 month old resue. Her life, thus far, has been limited to crate and kennel living with very little human companionship. I knew we'd be facing issues, but here is one I never expected. She doesn't know how to play.

She doesn't appear to ever have played tug. Tracking the trajectory of a ball is a foreign concept.

So, our first day was spent taking long walks, a run around our 3 acres, meeting our neighbors (which she handled like a champ)...and me yelping whenever she needed reminding that furless flat-ears a teeth wimps.

I am loving this to pieces!

Anja vom Spokane 01-22-2013 10:37 PM

try tying a ball to a rope and getting her to chase it much like you would entice a cat. you can try a kong toy that you can fill with treats or peanut butter. that may interest her in the ball. find a material she is interested in to start a game of tug. My gsd's have always liked socks with knots in them. hope this helps

zivagirl 01-22-2013 10:42 PM

Thanks, Anja. We've purchased a few things including a ball/rope tug, and a ball. She is very interested in my daughter's plushy toys. Looking for something that's a little more safe for her.

onyx'girl 01-22-2013 10:45 PM

My foster dog never knew how to play either. And he was a bit inhibited as far as tugging with me until he built trust. A ball would bounce off his head before he figured out timing to catch it. Within a few weeks he was chasing frisbees and catching them with grace. He tugged with me too.
Flirtpoles are good as they aren't as intimidating as a person possibly bending over the dog or getting in the dogs space.

llombardo 01-22-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zivagirl (Post 2796914)
Thanks, Anja. We've purchased a few things including a ball/rope tug, and a ball. She is very interested in my daughter's plushy toys. Looking for something that's a little more safe for her.

Get her the plushies with squeakers...she will probably like that more:)

zivagirl 01-22-2013 11:26 PM

Thanks, Onyx. By the time she went to kennel for bed, she was flipping her ball up in the air just to watch it fall. Then she'd look at me as if to ask if I was pleased with her joy.

huntergreen 01-23-2013 02:31 PM

sounds like your pup is catching on !

David Taggart 01-23-2013 05:52 PM

I'd like to suggest toys with a smell (of vanilla). Let her watch other dogs playing , it also may pick her attention. This 'lost' instinct will emerge if you'are persistent.

frillint1 01-23-2013 06:48 PM

It took my dog awhile to learn to play to. He was abused and locked in a bathroom. For a long time I praised him like crazy clapping, saying good boy jumping around when ever he even sniffed a toy or anything new. Then I went even more crazy when me picked up up and so on. I still have to do that when I get a new toy that is different.

wolfy dog 01-23-2013 07:41 PM

If she hasnt had exercise before, you need to be careful not to overdo it but increase it gradually. I learned that the hard way with my first dog who spent his first 9 months on some sort of balcony. I took him for long walks as soon as I got him form this owner because I felt so sorry that he had never experienced these before. He was sore and had a hard time walking after exercise and so my vet helped me set up an schedule for him.