German Shepherds Forum banner

road salt, paws???

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Shaolin 
#1 ·
So we got a little bit of snow last night and our city OVERLOADED the streets with road salt. So Zoey and I are walking and we need to cross the road over a larger path of salt. We get over to the grass are and Zoey starts to limp :( Clearly her paws were burning and now I can't take her for a walk since it's snow/ice on the sidewalk and salt on the street..... anyone have this problem and if so, whats your remedy?

p.s. When we got to the snowy part, we stopped and I checked her paw, she walked fine after that until we crossed the road and same thing happened. When we got home, I washed all 4 paws really good before I left for work.

#2 ·
I wonder if mushers secret would help to at least some degree. I work with magnesium, potassium, and calcium chloride (deice) and it does a number on my hands. If I have a scratch that I might otherwise be unaware of, I'll know it quickly when any of these make contact.

#4 ·
I use to live in a busy downtown sector in a large city, they used a lot of salt on the roads and sidewalks, the only effective way I could protect my poor baby's paws was to put dog booties on her, she didnt like them at first, but she got use to them and im sure she thanked me for doing so!

#5 ·
I avoid salt like the plague. If I have to use it, then I use the pet friendly stuff. I would go with the booties, although I tried that with one of my dogs and she wouldn't have it. I think if you carry a small towel with you and stop to wipe the paws every so often that will help. When you get home wipe them again real good. It really has to hurt them:(

#6 ·
Bag Balm it comes in a green, red, and white can and smells very strong. It works magic on paws; we smear it on the pads and in the creases, go on a walk, and no burns. My Mum introduced it to me as a kid; it was my job to "smear the paws" before a walk. I haven't seen it in any store, but you can find it online. One tin lasts for a while. In a pinch, I'll use Vasaline, but every dog I've ever used it on likes to lick the Vasaline off, but will ignore the Balm like the plague.

#9 ·
I use Bag Balm several times a week on Rocket's paws, since he runs a lot of road mileage with me. He loves getting his nails dremmeled and his pads Bag Balmed I swear!
Finn loves the BB as well, especially after a hard training session. I've been using it as an excuse to get him more used to me trimming his nails, but it's been slow going.

#8 ·
Thanks! I think Zoey would hate the booties, I will try the bag balm though.
We went for a lovely walk today in 5 degree weather not including the wind chill and stayed on the sidewalk/grass and she was fine. Looks like I wont be jogging anytime soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.