I've had it with the MUD!! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 07:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice103 View Post
Believe it or not, when there is standing water, it isn't as bad! When they walk through that it cleans off their feet! Its when it recedes that the mud becomes the issue!

I'd love to tell them to put drains in....but I've tried with my neighbors and they could care less about my property! They are not the best neighbors!! Well, one is...and they are actually going to put drains in. So 2 to go!
Are you in an area that has ordinances? Run off from their property causing damage to yours might be on the books somewhere. And if not, I'd put a diversion ditch in and dump it all back in their yards! LOL

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

What a nightmare to deal with ... Love love love the pic of all the blankets on the floor ...

You could always move to Canada where it's snowing and cold!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
What a nightmare to deal with ... Love love love the pic of all the blankets on the floor ...

You could always move to Canada where it's snowing and cold!

Yes! I keep seeing the ads on tv for welders, equipment operators and such for working in Alberta, but the wife says no, we have a enough snow, ice, and cold here. Lol!

I think Jax08 is right, most places have some kind of regulations regarding run off. Probably worth checking into.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

"Ok I have have reseeded, put pebble gravel down in some areas, put straw down, but my back yard is a virtual mud pitt! With the warmer winter, and tons of rain we've had, my backyard is nothing but mud, and my house is a DISASTER! There are muddy footprints everywhere! I just don't know what to do anymore! "

^^^ I felt like I wrote that myself!! SAME scenario here. We are in Georgia and it has not stopped raining for days. We have a 1 acre yard and it is saturated with water. There is one area that stays muddy and of course that is the first spot they run to when outside. I have been scrubbing carpet 3x a day and drying paws and coats constantly. I just want SUN!!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It is the middle of ffffJanuary!!! It is SUPPOSED to be white out there, hard, cold, lunar landscape.

The dogs stay clean and dry in that.

But, no. The only snow worth mentioning, about 20 inches that stayed around for about 2 weeks, melted in 50 degree temperatures, while it proceeded to rain for three solid days.

This means mud mud mud. I have kennel clothes that are covered with mud splatters, and kennel boots that are covered with mud. The kennels themselves are concrete. But I let a dog out while I clean the two kennels and that dog loves nothing better than to run back and forth in the mud, saying hi to its buddy across Near Field.

I let them in and put them in crates, covered in mud. My sun room is covered in mud. If I take them to the bathtub, their tail wags mud all over my bedroom and book shelves.

I HATE this weather worse than snow.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 11:30 PM   #16 (permalink)

My backyard is a huge mud pit too! We seeded, reseeded and still nothing... I cant let Kono outside off leash unless its sunday (sundays she gets her bath) so she gets to run around for a day I wish the snow would melt and the mud would become dry but it doesn't. It just stays half melted half unmelted... So i have to chase her around the house for an hour to get her energy out :\ I live in a rental so I cant put down artificial grass so hopefully we can either grow grass.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
-Will Rogers
PuppyKono is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

I'm in the same boat...My house is a disaster! I tried a towel runway by the back door but it got kicked out of the way before dogs 2, 3, and 4 got in. Will have to try the blanket idea to let them dry off.
Fezzik: Heinz 57 born Aug 2012
Cats: Samuel Adams, Jack Daniels, & Shooter
BrennasMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I had the ultimate mud experience today. I don't have a clue why on earth a teammate would set out a cadaver hide for another teammate in the middle of a muddy clearcut (bulldozed earth). Red sucking mud. Well then they can't find it. And now they have dug up the area looking for it. Meanwhile I was all cozy at home. NOT at training. Serves me right.

I get called and go in with Beau because he needed to help find it and you can't leave a cadaver hide in a jar just laying around now.....Man......sunk in up to my knees....shoes and socks both sucked off and we had to fish them out of the muck......Beau looked like a pig rooting-his entire lower half and his face covered.

He found it though. ......... Never did figure out what she was thinking.

All I took was a picture of my tennis shoes when I got home.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles

Last edited by jocoyn; 01-19-2013 at 09:11 PM.
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Uhg!

When I first moved here, there was no driveway. (It was one of the first things I put in.) I would roll up my pants to get to my car near the street so I wouldn't splatter mud all over them. One day I was walking through it and my boot came right off. It looked like your shoe. And there I am with my pants all rolled up hopping on one foot trying to dig my boot out of the mud up to its rim.

Yes, the driveway and walks to the front and the back door was the first concrete I did, with the first set of kennels.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #20 (permalink)

My yard is a pretty steep slope so I don't get the real deep thick mud, but her paws still get muddy from running full speed around the front yard. And if I forget to shut the door and Abby goes running into the house I have to spend some time scrubbing the carpets. But for the most part I am pretty lucky, I just leave her in "quarantine" in the garage for a bit till she dries and its usually not to bad then.
NoVAGSDGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.