Would it work out in a apartment? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Would it work out in a apartment?

Would it work out with a GSD in a apartment? I'd take the dog out daily a few times (for shorter intervals while he's a pup well she), theres also a shared yard that only my dad uses to park the car but thats it, its quite big so I could also "take" him out there untill he grows up, we can play there daily. I know GSD's shed but thats not a problem, I'm okay with vacuuming daily aslong as I get my pup to not be afraid of the vacuumer. What about the smell? I'd get a female, how "strong" is their smell?
Extornia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

When I lived in an apartment, I had a Husky -which I adopted from the Humane Society - she was 2 years old. It takes a lot of work and dedication to daily exercise and not just short potty walks. I walked my Husky 4 times a day - no matter what the weather. That means getting up real early before work for the big walk (1-2 miles) - then rushing home at noon to take her for a couple of blocks, then after work - another 1 mile walk - then supper, then a night just a short walk for potty. On the weekends, I took her out where she could run. I brushed her daily and did not notice any odor. I would strongly suggest that you think carefully what you are getting yourself into. If you are not able to spend a lot of time with your dog, especially in an apartment - I would suggest you consider a cat (no odor as long as you keep the litter box clean - no exercise worries). If you still want a dog, I would suggest that you adopt an older dog like I did.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

I dislike cats. And I don't want to adopt a dog as its almost impossible to adopt a dog that was a indoor one. And I don't think you can exactly match a husky with a shepherd >.>. If I'd get the dog at may as a pup, I'd definetly be able to give it first 3 months of 24/7 attention.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extornia View Post
Would it work out with a GSD in a apartment? I'd take the dog out daily a few times (for shorter intervals while he's a pup well she), theres also a shared yard that only my dad uses to park the car but thats it, its quite big so I could also "take" him out there untill he grows up, we can play there daily. I know GSD's shed but thats not a problem, I'm okay with vacuuming daily aslong as I get my pup to not be afraid of the vacuumer. What about the smell? I'd get a female, how "strong" is their smell?

Not that I think it'd make a difference, how big is your apartment? I have a little over 800 sq ft. and got my GSD when she was 6 weeks old. She is now ten months and still in our apartment! Shedding is bad, but I only notice it when I vacuum! Otherwise, it doesn't really appear noticeable. She gets 2 walks a day, and I get her to the park when I can! She seems just as happy as any other dog If you're getting a puppy, you might ask if there has been a puppy or a dog in the apartment before you that was sick. After we got Remy, she developed Parvo. Still not sure if it was from the apartment, or a pet outside.

Main point is- it works! You just have to make it work She doesn't seem unhappy at all.

What do you mean by smell?

-“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
lkellen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It works out just fine...there are days when you don't really want to go out for a walk...but you have a yard so you should be fine. The dog doesn't need a lot of room inside as long as you exercise it plenty outside.

The hardest part is probably when you decide to move...if you're going to another apartment you might have issues finding one that allows GSDs.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I've had Dakota since I rented a room (basically, a 1-person apartment in another person's home) and she came home at 8ish weeks (she was a rescue, so exact age is unknown). She was there with me for about 4-5 months when I found an 800sqft apartment (2bd/2ba condo) that I moved into. Kaiser has been here with me ever since he came home at 6 weeks. So, I now have a 7.5 year old 75lb gsd mix and a 11.5 month old gsd puppy, in an apartment. And quite successfully, might I add. (I also have a cat)

The key is to crate train when young, set up a consistent training schedule, play mind games (to mentally wear out the dog), and to exercise, exercise, exercise (to physically wear out the dog). Cleaning is easy because the space is limited. Heck, I live at the beach so I have to deal with sand and salt water in two longish coated dogs, and I manage just fine.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsnail17/
Kaiser2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well by smell, I mean all dogs "generate" their smell after which they must be washed/bathed.
If I move, it will be to my grandparents house so no problem on there. The apartment well it is honestly going to be mainly my room >.> the apartment is around 120m2 though.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Mmmm. I don't know.
I'm in a large two bedroom apartment. It wasn't so bad with one full grown gsd but, he's really calm. We have a puppy now and, we broke our lease early to move into a big house next month. You'd have to be sure you are fully committed. Since we don't have a yard yet we walk our dogs 5-8 times a day and, take them to the dog park every Saturday. If you live with your family be sure they realize how big your puppy will get and, how fast. Gsd puppies are they same as all puppies. They really wake up around 4 months or so and, by four months they aren't nearly as tiny as you'd expect. (My puppy will be 4 months next week and, is well over thirty pounds. She's not a fat puppy either, she's just going to be a big girl.) They are bound to do regular puppy stuff but, they are just big! It's one thing if you have a little dog but, a big six month old puppy filled with energy dying to play all day might not be what you're hoping for.
I really believe if you're serious and, super dedicated it can work for you and, your puppy. Just be sure you have patience in spades and, enough energy to keep up with your puppy.
Fynn&Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
It works out just fine...there are days when you don't really want to go out for a walk...but you have a yard so you should be fine. The dog doesn't need a lot of room inside as long as you exercise it plenty outside.

The hardest part is probably when you decide to move...if you're going to another apartment you might have issues finding one that allows GSDs.
That's my opinion too. You do have to be really committed to making sure your dog gets enough exercise/stimulation, but that's true in any situation--it's just a little more high-stakes if you're renting since a bored dog can be very destructive and/or noisy, which landlords tend to frown on.

If you feed your dog a high-quality food and groom them appropriately, there really shouldn't be too much of a smell. I'm actually pretty sure I haven't bathed my GSD since August or September just because I haven't needed to--his skin and coat are healthy and he doesn't smell unless you actually put your nose on him and sniff, and even then it's a nice smell. I brush him 2-3 times a week and feed him very good-quality food though. When I didn't know any better and fed my dogs cheap food, they smelled a lot worse and needed frequent bathing.

If you get a puppy or a dog who isn't house-trained you'll have to expect them to have some accidents as they learn, but prompt cleaning and an enzymatic cleaner combined with good training and management (so they learn quickly and don't have many opportunities to go inside) should make that easy to fix.

Are you planning on spaying your female? If not, you'll have to be prepared for some mess when she's in heat, and a lot of landlords don't allow intact dogs. Also, you mention you'd only move into your grandparents' house, but are you planning for the entire life of the dog? Keep in mind that a GSD can live to be 10-14 years old.

Overall, it's very doable but keeping a high-energy dog in general is a lot of work, and keeping one in a small rented space is a little more work on top of that.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyDogs View Post
That's my opinion too. You do have to be really committed to making sure your dog gets enough exercise/stimulation, but that's true in any situation--it's just a little more high-stakes if you're renting since a bored dog can be very destructive and/or noisy, which landlords tend to frown on.

If you feed your dog a high-quality food and groom them appropriately, there really shouldn't be too much of a smell. I'm actually pretty sure I haven't bathed my GSD since August or September just because I haven't needed to--his skin and coat are healthy and he doesn't smell unless you actually put your nose on him and sniff, and even then it's a nice smell. I brush him 2-3 times a week and feed him very good-quality food though. When I didn't know any better and fed my dogs cheap food, they smelled a lot worse and needed frequent bathing.

If you get a puppy or a dog who isn't house-trained you'll have to expect them to have some accidents as they learn, but prompt cleaning and an enzymatic cleaner combined with good training and management (so they learn quickly and don't have many opportunities to go inside) should make that easy to fix.

Are you planning on spaying your female? If not, you'll have to be prepared for some mess when she's in heat, and a lot of landlords don't allow intact dogs. Also, you mention you'd only move into your grandparents' house, but are you planning for the entire life of the dog? Keep in mind that a GSD can live to be 10-14 years old.

Overall, it's very doable but keeping a high-energy dog in general is a lot of work, and keeping one in a small rented space is a little more work on top of that.
We have no landlord. The system does not really work like that here. And my neighbours will be fine with me having a dog . I most probably will spay her, as she'll only be a home dog.
When I get my pup (well before when I start buying stuff) be able to tell me whats the best food, etc? What kind of things I need when it comes to brushes/toys/collars/etc.
I'll be crate training her untill she grows up and aslong as she can fit in a crate that I buy for her

And also the apartment is in full ownership of my family. I can also get a picture of the yard tomorrow morning nad post it on here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.