German Shepherds Forum banner

To rescue or to raise..THAT is the question

3K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  zivagirl 
#1 · (Edited)

This is Bethsheba. She is a rescue the breeder is looking to find a home for.
Our original plan was to adopt one of the breeder's puppies. We've even named her Ziva. I've shared pictures of her here. But during my last visit, I met Bethsheba.

When she was found, she was in a crate that wouldn't allow her to stand upright - and the muscles in her hind quarters atrophied. According to the vet, there is no permanent physical damage. Lots of exercise and massage should fix her up right as rain.

Breeder opened the pen door, and Beth came running straight for me, sat by my side, looked up at me with loads of adoration...and peed like a racehorse.

This isn't an accident - Beth is a happy pee'er. She's a sad pee'er. A fearful pee'er.

She heels well on leash. I believe she'll do anything I want with a little patience, and lots of love.

She's not a huge fan of men and cringes in their presence.

I don't want an outdoor dog. I want our dog to live indoors with us, enjoy the outdoor pen we have (roughly 20X25) for play, and lots of walks/running/hiking.

What are the odds I can help her with her peeing problem?

* Edit - title should read: Raise a rescue or a puppy - THAT is the question. I don't think I could afford to raise TWO big girls!

See less See more
#33 ·
Anubis, if you'll read my posts here, you'll see that I have already determined that this will not be a two dog house.

As for the breeder, I don't have a problem with her, and I'm not one to get pushed into something I'm not comfortable with.

I am actually more interested in rescuing Beth than I am taking in taking on a puppy.

Arycrest, that's really good to hear. I'm thinking Beth won't have serious issues. I think with one on one attention, exercise, and patience.

#35 ·
Anubis, if you'll read my posts here, you'll see that I have already determined that this will not be a two dog house.

As for the breeder, I don't have a problem with her, and I'm not one to get pushed into something I'm not comfortable with.

I am actually more interested in rescuing Beth than I am taking in taking on a puppy.
That's good to hear :) People can give you advice left and right, but in the end you know yourself the best and you have to do what is right for you.

Sounds like this rescue dog may of found the perfect home! Good luck with whatever choice you make.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.