Cost of having a dog -- Nearly $60k for life of dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
AJT

Default Cost of having a dog -- Nearly $60k for life of dog?

So just read an article during my morning news blitz. Not taking it too seriously but obviously we all know having dogs, pets, or any animals in your life will cost you a pretty penny and then some. It's something we are all happy and willingly to accept. But apparently according to Bloomberg in this article, the cost of your dog can cost you upwards to 60k. Whoa!

Here is the article -- Is Your New Dog A Money Pit?

Also another eye opener to me is ..."every year, about 13 million American households adopt a dog or a puppy and within 12 months, half of them have been taken to a shelter.". -- That is so sad!

So I just sent this article to three of my friends who have been thinking of getting a dog.

I really like this from the article...""There's an odd peer pressure, especially in the shelter world, that we always need to be pumping up the benefits of pet ownership, and that's great. I'm fully on board. But it's like home ownership. Owning a house and having a dog is the American dream, but you only want to do it if you can afford it. You don't want to have to give either up because you didn't think it through."
AJT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

"every year, about 13 million American households adopt a dog or a puppy and within 12 months, half of them have been taken to a shelter.".

That is heart breaking!
lennoxbradley88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

60k is a bit of an excessive estimate.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't know, it might be closer to 60000$ then we like to think. I just tried to calculate and stopped when my head started hurting lol, but by my figures and the diet I feed, just for a 13 yr lifespan of buying my new puppy, training, feeding for 13 years, and I figured in for at least two medical dentals, I was over 15000$. I didn't even figure for supplies, toys, any medical emergencies, chronic medications that may be needed in senior years, yearly checkups, I didn't figure in for bloodwork or other basic recommended diagnostic monitoring as the pet ages, etc... there's a lot and it adds up. Then you have people that pay 100-200$ a month for grooming. Some small breeds live 14-16 years. That alone could easily add up to 20,000-30,000$ over the lifetime of the pet!

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've had some pretty expensive dogs over the years, but don't think any of them had individual bills adding up to a lifetime total of $60,000 (Ringer came the closest, but I had 3 seniors at the same time so don't know how much was spent on each).
Old 01-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I did some calculations that looked something like this:
  • Food- $50/month ($600/year)
  • Treats/Toys- $50/month ($600/year)
  • Annual vet (heartworm/flea included) - $300/year
That's $1500 annually for the most basic expense. Those of us who train/trial can tack these expenses on there
  • Training, one class- $96/eight weeks ($624)
  • Trialing- $112/trial, 12 trials/year ($1344)
So that's $1968 annually for only ONE class and modest amount of trials. Then there's one time (hopefully) expenses:
  • Wire crate- $100
  • Soft crate- $100
  • Food/water bowl/leashes/collars/etc- $200
  • Major medical- $4000
That's a very modest list, at $4400

For my girl, the tally may look something like this:
  • Seven years old x $1500 annually = $10500
  • Three years of classes/trialing at $1968/year = $5904
  • One time (hopefully) expenses = $4400
So far, I'm easily $20804 invested. I didn't include all of the training material I've purchased, backyard equipment I've built, park passes I've bought for walks/hikes, etc. I'd say this is a pretty conservative estimate.

If she lives to 14, and we trial until she's 10 (though reasonably, I could change to a less demanding sport and trial until she was, say, 12- but for easier calculations, let's just say 10), then I can estimate:
  • 14 years old x $1500 annually = $21000
  • Six years of classes/training at $1968/year = $11808
  • One time expenses = $4400
That's a lifetime cost of $37208 and almost certainly seriously low as I accounted for NO old age medical issues. For a very bare-bones estimate of cost at $37K, I'd think that around $60K is not too exaggerated- certainly feasible.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It adds up.
Caledon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Let's face something though; most people don't do much with their dogs.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

At the rate I'm going now with all the training with Zoey, I'm well over that amount, but of course it wont last forever. IMO it's worth every penny, walking in my house to Zoey everyday from work and waking up to her snout touching my nose staring at me has no price tag.

Zoey- Adopted Belgian Malinois on 4/29/12
Princess- WGSD 3/15/01-9/21/11 Forever would've been to short...
Nickyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Let's face something though; most people don't do much with their dogs.
This! Much different for "just a pet" home. My old GSD lived for 14.5 years - 12.5 of those years with me. Came from the SPCA for the grand cost of $65.00.
Using Willy's conservative estimates - which seem about right to me, Annie probably cost me between $14,000 and $15,000 her whole life. Never any major costs - food, routine vet care, leash, leather collar and prong collar. One $1000 medical emergency. Already had the crate and bowls. I didn't count in treats and toys. No classes for Annie. She had her DA issues and we did our training at home. She lived a pretty healthy, happy, and inexpensive life.

Want to talk money? Let's talk about the horse. LOL!
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.