German Shepherds Forum banner

What is an "Australian Labradoodle????"

6K views 59 replies 32 participants last post by  Stevenzachsmom 
#1 ·
#5 ·
History says the original "Labradoodle" was bred in Australia in the 80's and those breeders that follow the founder's standards are calling their dogs Australian Labradoodles...in contrast to American Labradoodles.

We have tons of them in my puppy school!!! The world is being taken over by doodles..lol!!

#15 ·
Well I hope no one feels less about me, I have a "Goldendoodle"... We adopted him from a rescue though, his previous owners didn't want to deal with his coat anymore which is one thing I don't think a lot of people take into account with these dogs. Grooming is just insane with these dogs, we can't get out of a groomers for less then a hundred bucks with this guy.

He IS however insanely sweet and SO smart it's scary.

#16 ·
Many of them look a lot like Porties. I know I hate when people suggest I try X breed because I like Y, but I wonder if any of their potential buyers ever consider a Portie?

#18 ·
You know, I LOATHE poodle mixes. (Labradoodles, Golden Doodles, Shepadoodles, Dobadoodles...ick!)

While about half that I have met are great pet dogs, with the other half being HORRID, I still don't get why people feel the need to mix poodle into EVERYTHING!! It does not, IMO, create a better dog AT ALL!

In reference to most of the "doodle" breeders saying these dogs are easy keepers: have they ever visited a grooming forum?

These dogs are the bane of most groomers existence, because the owners want the fluffy dog, but aren't willing to groom 10 hours a week BETWEEN grooming appointments, to keep up with the coat. Then get mad when the dogs have to be shaved naked...breeders need to be VERY upfront about what the coat requirements are.

To the OP, the breeder you listed AT LEAST does a massive amount of health testing on her dogs. And while I would like to see temperament test certificates on her dogs, as they are being hocked as having superior temperaments, at least this particular breeder is taking a step in the right direction.

#29 ·
You know, I LOATHE poodle mixes. (Labradoodles, Golden Doodles, Shepadoodles, Dobadoodles...ick!)

While about half that I have met are great pet dogs, with the other half being HORRID, I still don't get why people feel the need to mix poodle into EVERYTHING!! It does not, IMO, create a better dog AT ALL!
Agreed. It seems to take on the worst of both poodle and whatever it's mixed with.

These dogs are the bane of most groomers existence, because the owners want the fluffy dog, but aren't willing to groom 10 hours a week BETWEEN grooming appointments, to keep up with the coat. Then get mad when the dogs have to be shaved naked...breeders need to be VERY upfront about what the coat requirements are.
And they don't, because there's some hype about how 'doodles shouldn't be clipped, and have non-matting hair, and "don't take your 'doodle to a groomer cause they'll just shave it off" :rolleyes: so these people get these dogs and think the coat just takes care of itself.

All of our clients at work who have doodles brag about how much they paid, and how their dogs are top notch. :rolleyes: After all that bragging, the dogs have AWFUL temperaments, are insane, have to be groomed constantly (which they fight with everything they have... Even the 10 week old pup that got groomed recently), etc.
Yep! I just had a new client the other day with "Australian Labradoodle". She went on about how he was 4th generation "Australian :rolleyes: Labradoodle" and that's a different breed, don't you know? She clearly paid a lot of money for this dog and was very proud of him. While he was a bit smaller than most 'doodles I've seen, he had that wavy kind of hair that's impossible to make look good, he was just like every other Labradoodle I've ever seen--screamy, headstrong and totally nuts.

#19 ·
People always think just because it's mixed with a poodle it's hypoallergenic... :rolleyes:

I really enjoy the pins I see on pinterest ("golden retriever/husky mix, how cute!" when really it's an Aussie, or "goldendoodle/poodle mix (yes, really), hypoallergenic and doesn't shed!"

#20 ·
I'm Australian, and some idiot decided to put a poodle and a Labrador together and have puppies. That's pretty much how they came about. :/
Next they will be trying to cross a koala bear with a grizzly bear. Lol

This has nothing to do with the topic, but when I was in America I was told that i speak really fast, what is everyone's observations on the Australian accent?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#60 ·
I'm Australian, and some idiot decided to put a poodle and a Labrador together and have puppies. That's pretty much how they came about. :/
Next they will be trying to cross a koala bear with a grizzly bear. Lol

This has nothing to do with the topic, but when I was in America I was told that i speak really fast, what is everyone's observations on the Australian accent?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Nancy already told you. We think the Australian accent is sexy. Well, I do anyway. What part of America were you in? Lot of different accents here. I have relatives in the south that talk REAL slow. I'm from the Northeast and they think I talk too fast.

Sorry for going off topic. Raintheshepherd started it. LOL!

#22 ·
That's always been my thought but I guess the difference is those people usually were breeding for a purpose and not for a quick buck selling a "designer breed"... But every breed today is a mixture of other breeds so I don't really understand all the hate towards them but that's just me I guess. :shrug:

#23 ·
Carrie, I certainly don't mean to "hate" on them. For me, I can't get over paying large amounts of money for what, 30 years ago, was a pound bound hound. It is just weird for me, personally.
Lies, I saw one at a show and actually thought it was an Italian Spinone. There were Spinones there, and this was similar enough that I had a moment. Will I ever admit that to a Spinone breeder..... No way:).

#24 · (Edited)
Oh I totally understand! I guess I just come from a different perspective because I own one though I only paid an adoption fee for him, lol. I agree that the last thing this world needs is more dogs... more specifically dogs bred willy nilly and for profit. There are lots of non poodle crosses like chiweenies or however you spell it that make even more horribly tempered dogs.

Sometimes I just feel like people are blaming the dog, like they had some sort of choice in the matter but maybe that's just me being sensitive.

My "doodle" absolutely loves and adores my GSD, they are best friends... So at least they seem to have good taste in other dogs. ;)

My point is if you see one(and this is general you) don't automatically assume the owner is an idiot who paid a lot of money for a mutt... I saved mine from going to a shelter and god knows what happening to him because here in California they often times send them to labs.

Edited to say, I'm not advocating the breeding of designer dogs and I would not recommend them to anyone... The grooming alone is horrendous! I just feel like I need to add a voice from a different perspective on the topic is all. :)

#25 ·
All of our clients at work who have doodles brag about how much they paid, and how their dogs are top notch. :rolleyes: After all that bragging, the dogs have AWFUL temperaments, are insane, have to be groomed constantly (which they fight with everything they have... Even the 10 week old pup that got groomed recently), etc.

So, yes. I despise the doodle fad. I also despise all the other "designer" dogs. Don't get me wrong, I love mixed breeds and they can be AMAZING. But. I will not seriously give a special name to a mutt. And I would NEVER pay more than an adoption fee for one. Just me.
Carrie- I love your boy, or what I've seen of him in videos and pics. He seems like the total opposite of all the ones I see at work!

#27 ·
I think in one of the previous links, the labradoodle was bred by an Australian as an alternative dog for a service animal. The original breeder states he regrets having done it and contributing to the "designer dog" fad.
And BTW.... I do own a poodle. He weighs just over 5 pounds:).

#30 ·
This is what I have heard. The man apparently was involved with Guide Dogs Australia.

Slightly off topic but here it seems that the most common 'designer breeds' are small white fluffies. My MIL paid $700 for one from a pet shop :(

#31 ·
Oh gosh, today while looking at the local ~classified paper, I guess it would be called. I saw an ad for some "DESIGNER PUPPIES. HALF German Shepherd, half Boxer. $500." I nearly spit out what I was drinking. Seriously? This ad literally has what I've quoted and two phone numbers. No mention of the parents. I'm certain there's no titling because it's not common in my area, and from a quick look around the page you can pretty much see the standard of breeding in my area.

(PROTIP: The standard is that someone owns a female, and can at the very least find a stud for her)

But I think it's absolutely ridiculous that someone would just slap DESIGNER PUPPY into an ad for what is essentially either a whoopsies litter or a really unusual combination of dogs, and charge $500 per puppy.

I know I'm not that old, but I know a few years back they would definitely have been referred to as 'mutts'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.