Core conditioning training exercises - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear L View Post
Since I don't want to invest in one yet, I use rocks that are pointy at the top (no flat edges) and make her balance on top or a wobbly and uneven tree trunk that she has to walk on. She tries hard and sometimes will fall because some of the stuff I ask her to get on is truly a bit unreasonable but she will give it a try anyways. Good sport!
Oh yeah, I used to do that type of thing all the time with my Golden who was the dog I did agility with. It wasn't for conditioning, I wasn't thinking about that, we just did it for fun mostly. On our daily walks I basically would use anything in the enivornment as a sort of agility obstacle, have her walk on different surfaces, climb on rocks/boulders/fallen trees, play on the equipment at playgrounds like ladders, tunnels, swaying bridges and small round stool things you have to step across(I'd have her walk across, or put her front feet on one and back on the other, or turn around or sit down on one), etc... That probably did help her in between agility classes, since we didn't have any agility equipment at home except a few jumps.
Well come to think of this I did that with Bianca as well, mostly since after using the landscape wherever I went on walks as an agility course for 10 years with Ginger it was kinda a habit for me! Especially since we went a lot of the same places, so it was a routine for the dogs as well, when we passed certain things they would just jump up or over them or walk on them without even thinking about it(and without me saying anything).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Here are a few photo's from tonight. We went outside in the windy sleet and did the normal training session~heeling, recalls, jumps, but had to get inside to warm up.

Karlo really enjoys this and it is a great workout after his workout!
moving forward:

back-ups:

Doing positions/turns:

licking the cheese off his nose!

Next time, we'll have him off the wall, I ordered my own peanut so will start doing this for a few minutes daily.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:20 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master Member

WOW they look great - might be a good idea for my boy who's still really "wobbly" through his back end!

The tripawd GSD in that Video looked really stressed to me (maybe I was imagining it) but Karlo seems to be having fun - I love how you can see his tail wag in one of the pictures
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #24 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lesslis

Wow Jane, never heard of this. Tebow just starting in agility so this looks like a great idea to focus on specific muscles. Looks like fun as well. Thanks for info.

GSD Bailey 13 yrs 7-2-2009
lesslis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #25 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Stretching, consistent short bursts of running. We ramp down the trial conditioning. Alternate short and bit longer running, work on jumping muscles. Current competition dogs do get a break, after trial months. Frodo relaxed, played and had fun (no real training) from after the AWDF last year.

The key is warming up, good lean working weight (even during off seasons), consistency and cooling down.

Enzo is 10.5 and is still in excellent shape for all the work, trials and high level competitions and traveling he has done.

And the basis is genetics, for any dog.
KK1 Griff v Tajgetosz SCH3,IPO3(BHOT) FCI and WUSV World Teams '13
Smithie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #26 (permalink)
Master Member

Oh my goodness looking at this thread just cost me some $$$ Fit paws gear getting ordered - tossing up between donut and peanut - and maybe a balance pad - and some paw pods for sure LOL
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #27 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thanks for sharing that Sue!
Mooch, I agree, it is expen$ive, but the quality is good too.
When looking at the dogs in video or photos, they may seem stressed, but really there is so much mental concentration going on to balance and do what is asked, the expression is more intense!
Lisa, Tebow would probably love it! Glad to read you are getting into agility. Your agility group may have some of this already, so maybe get with the instructor to find out where you can use the equipment.
I miss you & Tebow!!!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #28 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lesslis

Thanks Jane, thats means alot.
AlthoughTebow would make for a great IPO competitor....i do not!! Lol
I think we will both do well in the agility venues. Nothing like having an all around (perfect to me) working dog.

GSD Bailey 13 yrs 7-2-2009
lesslis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #29 (permalink)

I use a physio egg ball with Tara for core conditioning. I would prefer a peanut and will probably invest in one in the future, because she just barely fits on the egg. She does puppy push-ups on the ball, standing on it, turns, and standing on three legs (with my help). It is both mentally and physically taxing for her, so makes for a great rainy day activity.

Tara NW1 CGC - GSD 2008
Suli - DSH 2006
TaraM1285 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #30 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thanks for posting the pictures! Yeah, I was afraid the peanut I have is too small and this confirmed it. I think the trouble I had with getting him on there was due to the size. I still used it for exercises that don't involve him getting all fours on it, but I'll probably have to get a larger one.

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.