pack theory oroginal papers? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
x11
Banned

Default pack theory oroginal papers?

on an intuitive level i can't buy into pack theory as related to domestic dogs. i would like to go beyond intution and try read the original papers so often paraphrased on forums and by trainers but rarely actually read i beleive. if anyone has links to book titles or original scientific papers i would appreciatte it.
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
x11
Banned

wow that is a great overview and starting point, i will try track that back even further to the original sources.

starnge the smaller disproven study is the one most quoted as the real deal and has taken a life of it's own way beyond the scope of that actual study.

thanks for the link.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
x11
Banned

3. Finally, after the studies, the researchers made cavalier extrapolations from wolf-dog, dog-dog, and dog-human based on their "findings." Unfortunately, this nonsense still abounds.
So what's the truth? The truth is dogs aren't wolves. Honestly, when you take into account the number of generations past, saying "I want to learn how to interact with my dog so I'll learn from the wolves" makes about as much sense as saying, "I want to improve my parenting - - let's see how the chimps do it!"

hawhaw, thats funny.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
x11
Banned

"Your job is to be a leader, not a boss, not a dictator. Leadership is a huge responsibility. Your job is to provide for all of your dog's needs... food, water, vet care, social needs, security, etc. If you fail to provide what your dog needs, your dog will try to satisfy those needs on his own"

liking this article much
Old 01-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't think there is any place that we can access documents. Dr Dunbar has elaborated on Dr. Beaches studies...you've probably googled for that info...but searching still comes up as others interpretations of the studies, and nothing of the studies themselves.
18 Dr. Beach and the Beagles | Dog Star Daily
http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/packtheory.html
Old 01-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
x11
Banned

gotcha - still don't get if dogs are actually bred from wolves or not tho and my googling reveals every opinion possible...i figure it is just not known either way.

the RAW feedres are always on about well wolves eat this and yr dog is X% wolf so you should do this....blahblah, always seemed a bit off to me.

not knocking RAW i feed it.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

well my dogs never want to regurgitate to each other...my parrots on the other hand. My parrots don't eat raw, btw.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
x11
Banned

my dogs would like to kill chickens - prove they are wolves??
Old 01-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've never believed the "dogs come from wolves" thing... I don't believe in evolution at all. But I do find a pack mentality in dogs, at least to the point of being social and having a hierarchy. I don't think it's quite as strong as it is with wolves, though.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post
3. Finally, after the studies, the researchers made cavalier extrapolations from wolf-dog, dog-dog, and dog-human based on their "findings." Unfortunately, this nonsense still abounds.

So what's the truth? The truth is dogs aren't wolves. Honestly, when you take into account the number of generations past, saying "I want to learn how to interact with my dog so I'll learn from the wolves" makes about as much sense as saying, "I want to improve my parenting - - let's see how the chimps do it!"

hawhaw, thats funny.
Actually there are some studies published about learning how parenting works from observing animals! And a few folks I know could really learn from them!!!!!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.