What would you do? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default What would you do?

We live "out" of town by about 15 miles, but are in a "hobby farm" area, where parcels are 2-40 acres. Gravel roads, no curbs or sidewalks very hilly etc.

For whatever reason, most of the neighbors (and I use that term loosely because to me "neighbor" should mean someone responsible and friendly) do not restrain their dogs. At All. Most own 2-5 dogs of varying sizes. Some stay close to their houses, but most wander at least into the road. Some are not very friendly.

My 12 year old Cardi (Corgi) was weighed before christmas and has put on a few pounds which is a lot for that long back. My youngest daughter offered to walk him when she gets home from school everyday. At first it was down the driveway to the mailboxes and back, not quit a 1/4 mile round trip. As he's gotten better with it (and incidentally is doing FAR better with the steps into and in the house), she's started going gradually further. Now she's getting into the neighbor zone with dogs that come out into the road and follow her and one has charged her. She uses her big voice (she's taller than I am and has my big voice) and size and tells them "GO HOME!" and they have, so far.

Would you get her some pepper spray to carry? She wants to just carry a newspaper stick (rolled up newspaper) but I don't want her or Tank getting tangled up with dogs.
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Valentine-our ragdoll cat
Two great skin kids
3dognite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

"Not very friendly dogs" don't get very far with me. I was riding in the country on my bike in May of '10 when I had a very large aggressive Lab puncture my calf. I smacked him around and he released me.

The next week I bought a law enforcement formula peper spray called FOX. Extrememly effective against two and four legged animals.

I bought the party-size canister with the pistol grip and safety pin in the trigger mechanism. It fits in the water bottle holder on my bike with a thin piece of foam wrapped around it. I also carry it on all walks that I go on with or without Lisl.

To many irresponsible dog owners for me to take any more chances and being unprepared.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

I personally wouldn't use a newspaper - too many people use that as punishment so her having one could create some issues. I think pepper spray or something of the sort is just fine. Is there anything like bear spray?? I would also notify your neighbors and/or the owners if the dogs that this is what your daughter is going to be doing so there are no surprises.

I make in scheduled calls - in person - to people's homes and businesses for work and I often run into animals. I carry dog treats in my car!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Kdrees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I carry a can of bear spray it sprays out about 25 feet, so they won't have a chance to get too close. Guard Alaska Bear Pepper Spray

How old is your daughter? I would be worried about her to be honest, sounds like there are a lot of dogs running loose.

Michaela

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Heidigsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
"Not very friendly dogs" don't get very far with me. I was riding in the country on my bike in May of '10 when I had a very large aggressive Lab puncture my calf. I smacked him around and he released me.

The next week I bought a law enforcement formula peper spray called FOX. Extrememly effective against two and four legged animals.

I bought the party-size canister with the pistol grip and safety pin in the trigger mechanism. It fits in the water bottle holder on my bike with a thin piece of foam wrapped around it. I also carry it on all walks that I go on with or without Lisl.

To many irresponsible dog owners for me to take any more chances and being unprepared.
Thanks for the brand name and yes, I agree. I'm sick and tired of these dogs running rampant. They slow down the school buses and make a snarl of what little traffic we have...and end up getting hit by cars but the owners apparently really don't much care. By the time I call Animal Control and they actually come out, the dogs are, of course, back home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdrees View Post
I personally wouldn't use a newspaper - too many people use that as punishment so her having one could create some issues. I think pepper spray or something of the sort is just fine. Is there anything like bear spray?? I would also notify your neighbors and/or the owners if the dogs that this is what your daughter is going to be doing so there are no surprises.

I make in scheduled calls - in person - to people's homes and businesses for work and I often run into animals. I carry dog treats in my car!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
We could totally get bear spray easily since we have so many bears around and are close to wilderness areas where there are grizzlies. Good idea!

I should add that our UPS driver and USPS mail carrier both carry dog treats...in the USPS case, I'd rather she didn't because when she stops to deliver mail, all the dogs that are loose in the surrounding area come running and converge on her car!
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Two great skin kids

Last edited by 3dognite; 01-09-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidigsd View Post
I carry a can of bear spray it sprays out about 25 feet, so they won't have a chance to get too close. Guard Alaska Bear Pepper Spray

How old is your daughter? I would be worried about her to be honest, sounds like there are a lot of dogs running loose.

Michaela
She's 14. As I said, she's actually taller than I am and goes for walks in the area often. I don't worry about creeps and her so much, but I do worry about the dog issue. She says she's not that concerned but would like to have a back up plan if she does get charged by one. I'm afraid Tan would try to protect her and get hurt and then she'd try to break it up and end up hurt. But she's determined to make this work.
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Two great skin kids
Old 01-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

You can never be to safe, just be sure to show her how to properly use the spray.

Zoey- Adopted Belgian Malinois on 4/29/12
Princess- WGSD 3/15/01-9/21/11 Forever would've been to short...
Nickyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dognite View Post
Would you get her some pepper spray to carry? She wants to just carry a newspaper stick (rolled up newspaper) but I don't want her or Tank getting tangled up with dogs.
Better than pepper spray - get her some of this to mix in a spray bottle:

Skunk Fusion Skunk Scent*::*FARR OUTDOORS INC*::*Scents*::*BowhuntingOutlet.com

That way the dogs take home that lovely aroma and maybe their owners will think twice about letting them roam.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
Better than pepper spray - get her some of this to mix in a spray bottle:

Skunk Fusion Skunk Scent*::*FARR OUTDOORS INC*::*Scents*::*BowhuntingOutlet.com

That way the dogs take home that lovely aroma and maybe their owners will think twice about letting them roam.
Oh my god, that's awesome!!!! I'm totally looking into that one!
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Two great skin kids
Old 01-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

x2 on the bear spray and teaching how to use it. ie, never spray into the wind.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.