German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   What would you do? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/200193-what-would-you-do.html)

3dognite 01-09-2013 10:39 AM

What would you do?
 
We live "out" of town by about 15 miles, but are in a "hobby farm" area, where parcels are 2-40 acres. Gravel roads, no curbs or sidewalks very hilly etc.

For whatever reason, most of the neighbors (and I use that term loosely because to me "neighbor" should mean someone responsible and friendly) do not restrain their dogs. At All. Most own 2-5 dogs of varying sizes. Some stay close to their houses, but most wander at least into the road. Some are not very friendly.

My 12 year old Cardi (Corgi) was weighed before christmas and has put on a few pounds which is a lot for that long back. My youngest daughter offered to walk him when she gets home from school everyday. At first it was down the driveway to the mailboxes and back, not quit a 1/4 mile round trip. As he's gotten better with it (and incidentally is doing FAR better with the steps into and in the house), she's started going gradually further. Now she's getting into the neighbor zone with dogs that come out into the road and follow her and one has charged her. She uses her big voice (she's taller than I am and has my big voice) and size and tells them "GO HOME!" and they have, so far.

Would you get her some pepper spray to carry? She wants to just carry a newspaper stick (rolled up newspaper) but I don't want her or Tank getting tangled up with dogs.

MichaelE 01-09-2013 10:47 AM

"Not very friendly dogs" don't get very far with me. I was riding in the country on my bike in May of '10 when I had a very large aggressive Lab puncture my calf. I smacked him around and he released me.

The next week I bought a law enforcement formula peper spray called FOX. Extrememly effective against two and four legged animals.

I bought the party-size canister with the pistol grip and safety pin in the trigger mechanism. It fits in the water bottle holder on my bike with a thin piece of foam wrapped around it. I also carry it on all walks that I go on with or without Lisl.

To many irresponsible dog owners for me to take any more chances and being unprepared.

Kdrees 01-09-2013 10:54 AM

I personally wouldn't use a newspaper - too many people use that as punishment so her having one could create some issues. I think pepper spray or something of the sort is just fine. Is there anything like bear spray?? I would also notify your neighbors and/or the owners if the dogs that this is what your daughter is going to be doing so there are no surprises.

I make in scheduled calls - in person - to people's homes and businesses for work and I often run into animals. I carry dog treats in my car!


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Heidigsd 01-09-2013 11:05 AM

I carry a can of bear spray it sprays out about 25 feet, so they won't have a chance to get too close. Guard Alaska Bear Pepper Spray

How old is your daughter? I would be worried about her to be honest, sounds like there are a lot of dogs running loose.

Michaela

3dognite 01-09-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelE (Post 2701729)
"Not very friendly dogs" don't get very far with me. I was riding in the country on my bike in May of '10 when I had a very large aggressive Lab puncture my calf. I smacked him around and he released me.

The next week I bought a law enforcement formula peper spray called FOX. Extrememly effective against two and four legged animals.

I bought the party-size canister with the pistol grip and safety pin in the trigger mechanism. It fits in the water bottle holder on my bike with a thin piece of foam wrapped around it. I also carry it on all walks that I go on with or without Lisl.

To many irresponsible dog owners for me to take any more chances and being unprepared.

Thanks for the brand name and yes, I agree. I'm sick and tired of these dogs running rampant. They slow down the school buses and make a snarl of what little traffic we have...and end up getting hit by cars but the owners apparently really don't much care. By the time I call Animal Control and they actually come out, the dogs are, of course, back home. :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kdrees (Post 2701769)
I personally wouldn't use a newspaper - too many people use that as punishment so her having one could create some issues. I think pepper spray or something of the sort is just fine. Is there anything like bear spray?? I would also notify your neighbors and/or the owners if the dogs that this is what your daughter is going to be doing so there are no surprises.

I make in scheduled calls - in person - to people's homes and businesses for work and I often run into animals. I carry dog treats in my car!


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

We could totally get bear spray easily since we have so many bears around and are close to wilderness areas where there are grizzlies. Good idea!

I should add that our UPS driver and USPS mail carrier both carry dog treats...in the USPS case, I'd rather she didn't because when she stops to deliver mail, all the dogs that are loose in the surrounding area come running and converge on her car!

3dognite 01-09-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heidigsd (Post 2701841)
I carry a can of bear spray it sprays out about 25 feet, so they won't have a chance to get too close. Guard Alaska Bear Pepper Spray

How old is your daughter? I would be worried about her to be honest, sounds like there are a lot of dogs running loose.

Michaela

She's 14. As I said, she's actually taller than I am and goes for walks in the area often. I don't worry about creeps and her so much, but I do worry about the dog issue. She says she's not that concerned but would like to have a back up plan if she does get charged by one. I'm afraid Tan would try to protect her and get hurt and then she'd try to break it up and end up hurt. But she's determined to make this work.

Nickyb 01-09-2013 11:24 AM

You can never be to safe, just be sure to show her how to properly use the spray.

Lauri & The Gang 01-09-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3dognite (Post 2701681)
Would you get her some pepper spray to carry? She wants to just carry a newspaper stick (rolled up newspaper) but I don't want her or Tank getting tangled up with dogs.

Better than pepper spray - get her some of this to mix in a spray bottle:

Skunk Fusion Skunk Scent*::*FARR OUTDOORS INC*::*Scents*::*BowhuntingOutlet.com

That way the dogs take home that lovely aroma and maybe their owners will think twice about letting them roam.

3dognite 01-09-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang (Post 2702097)
Better than pepper spray - get her some of this to mix in a spray bottle:

Skunk Fusion Skunk Scent*::*FARR OUTDOORS INC*::*Scents*::*BowhuntingOutlet.com

That way the dogs take home that lovely aroma and maybe their owners will think twice about letting them roam.

Oh my god, that's awesome!!!! I'm totally looking into that one! :wild:

huntergreen 01-09-2013 12:00 PM

x2 on the bear spray and teaching how to use it. ie, never spray into the wind.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2